OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 14:27 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
haggisv wrote:
leatherback: Since you're still playing with OX LP, what do the coaches there suggest you do with a deep serve with little spin to your backhand? Do they suggest you chop it back with as much backspin as you can, or do they encourage you to attack it?

Im actually not coached on this aspect at all... but i practice this as much as i can....

its no secret that this is the bane of all long pip players....

3 things you can do....

attack it back and try to scare them into doing it again....

chop it as deep as possible....doesnt matter about the spin, but if its very long then it is already much more difficult to attack strongly...

learn to drop it short.....this is very difficult but if performed properly the attacker usually gets very confused and leave you with an opportunity for an attack....

you can also try to attack with forehand or twiddle, but this is low percentage if the ball is very fast...

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 14:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thank you leatherback! :up:

If you ever do hear a gem about returning this, please let me know. ;)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 05:50 

Thanks Leatherback, I have been reading your posts for a while now, While I am an inverted player I like to read your blog. I think its particularly interesting because your playing with some of the best players in China. Most of your strategies dont apply to me, however I love the thought processes. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 02:47 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
+1 if I have yet to say as such.

I find all serious discussions of tactics, strokes, and mentality profitable, whether it is about inverted, SP, MP, or LP gear. This is one of the great values of OOAK forum for anyone. Jokers can ask why a 2x inverted attacking type like me is in this forum so often, well, the answer is already stated, plus we have a lot of fun peoples.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 18:12 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

The day of rest after 4 days of matches….

All 46 of us had one gigantic roundrobin tournament this week….quite another learning experience…

My record was 10-36….

What an absolutey garbage record, but you know….i didn’t play that bad….and I deserved about 6 of the victories because the people generally had every idea how to use the long pips to my disadvantage…..

Im almost positive I have said this before, but the number 1 most important thing to know how to do is serve return….

And not just control every serve….but control them to force your opponent to do exactly what you want….

The way I play I have two options….return it short….(with the LP I have the luxury of doing this even on long serves of all spin types) and prepare to cover the entire table with my forehand….

Or push it long…..and I mean very long…..long enough that it touches the white line…. And then begin to chop and look for an opening

ESPECIALLY when pushing with your LP….everybody knows it is no spin after the first 2 points….and they can basically hit it as hard as they want…..

To be honest, it psychologically touch to get past the first set against a person with a really good forehand…because 1 out of 2 first long pushes get blasted past you….and you immediately panic and start thinking that you have to do something different…..and this is the key to my mental weakness….i used to crumble at this point in the match if I was down even by one point…..the fact of the matter is….is that im a defender….and it happens…..so just relax and play the next point….if you think your return was as good as it could be under the circumstances of the serve….then who cares…your opponent made a great shot…..and see if he can do it 10 more times….

…plus it totally throws them off when u give them the thumbs up, smile and say….whew….nice shot…..

interesting tidbit….i will be on the chinese national news network sometime in the near furture…..they did a documentary on the gold medalist at the para-olympic games and I happened to be training with him that whole day….if I can get a clip of that…I will post it here!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 22:16 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Uber cool, look forward to seeing it.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 22:25 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
You are very right about not immidiately give up the first strategy just because your opponent blasts a few attacks on you. Look at matches between Ma Lin and Joo. Everytime they meet Ma Lin crushes Joo the first set with like 11-3 or something. An most matches Joo manage to adapt and win a few sets (but rarely the whole match). Do not underestimate tha power of being stubborn :D and try to wear down your opponent mentally and physically. It is not a walk in the park to play against a defender for 4 sets, no matter how good you are at looping and smashing against back spin. That last last might turn to your favour, and as a defender you only need to make your opponent doubts about his (or her) FH attacks one or a few times before the whole match can turn. Never give up!

Nice to hear you won a few maches there Leatherback. Keep it up! And please - try to get your hands on a cheap digital videocamera. If you can't upload to Youtube from China you can do it later. You can also borrow someones phone and record a few minutes, the quality is not always the best but enough for us nerds :)

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 10:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

leatherback wrote:
Im almost positive I have said this before, but the number 1 most important thing to know how to do is serve return….

And not just control every serve….but control them to force your opponent to do exactly what you want….

So do they give you any tips on how to do that? Any tips on reading the spin?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 12:48 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

haggisv wrote:
leatherback wrote:

the strangest tip i received was this....

if your opponent serves side spin....do not try to continue it

...all my life with long pips i always try to continue it, but the coaches here say you don't have the feeling of controlling the spin....

with long pips other then chopping and blocking, you should always try to kill all the spin on the bal and send back a floater...

if you drop it short, the movement should be powerful and abrupt with the wrist in order to kill the spin with a small motion....if you push, you should be aiming to brush for as long as possible and send a pure dead ball or a ball with as much back spin as you can muster....

im sure this was different with the old FLP's...

but this is how they teach me to receive serves...

even what appears to be a passive drop has quite a bit of strength behind it....no hit mind you, only brush....

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 13:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

leatherback wrote:
haggisv wrote:
leatherback wrote:

...all my life with long pips i always try to continue it, but the coaches here say you don't have the feeling of controlling the spin....

with long pips other then chopping and blocking, you should always try to kill all the spin on the bal and send back a floater...

if you drop it short, the movement should be powerful and abrupt with the wrist in order to kill the spin with a small motion....if you push, you should be aiming to brush for as long as possible and send a pure dead ball or a ball with as much back spin as you can muster....

even what appears to be a passive drop has quite a bit of strength behind it....no hit mind you, only brush....

I received the exact same advice from Gao Jun before... Works with all grippy pips: Short, medium, long... :)

"Do not continue spin! Kill it!"

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 13:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

leatherback wrote:
haggisv wrote:
leatherback wrote:

Wow, very interesting indeed!

leatherback wrote:
if you drop it short, the movement should be powerful and abrupt with the wrist in order to kill the spin with a small motion"

I don't get that? ... what type of ball are you trying to drop short?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 13:59 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

one of the crucial shots i am trying to perfect is how to drop a backspin or no spin ball short by scrubbing off all the spin with the swift wrist motion....

this almost 100% of the time yields and easy attackable ball...even up to the highest levels have played...

worst case scenario is they attempt to flip it and it usually goes long....

is it any clearer....i admit I was sort of vague...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 14:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Ahhh I get it... thank you! :up: I've never tried it... will try that to see if it yields some good results. :rock:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 13:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Is it possible for you to get a decent amount of backspin with the P-1r in OX? You'd need a lot of wrist action.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 15:47 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

i find it doesnt really matter that much between ox pips....the only true thing that makes a dramatic playing difference switching from pip pip for me is

-grip on attacks against top spin
-grip on long pushes against backspin
-speed on flat contact...

other then that all the Ox long pips i have used in OX tend to generate the same amount of backspin providing I chop faster then the speed of the incoming ball.....

P1r does have more grip then most so it makes attacks against top spin easier to execute and If you chop REALLY hard, you can add a little bit of spin, but not enough to rely on as a huge weapon....

P1R is just very very slow in OX....i actually prefer chinese pips because I like them a little faster...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next