OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 13:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
strongpong wrote:
haggisv wrote:
LOL I think you've got your animals mixed up though... an elephant (what it feels like) or giraffe (what it looks like) is probably closer. :oops: :lol:

Haven't read this by chance have you? :lol:

LOL!!! You obviously watched our doubles match, where I made a 'tumble' very much like that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 14:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
strongpong wrote:
haggisv wrote:
LOL I think you've got your animals mixed up though... an elephant (what it feels like) or giraffe (what it looks like) is probably closer. :oops: :lol:

Haven't read this by chance have you? :lol:

LOL!!! You obviously watched our doubles match, where I made a 'tumble' very much like that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would that have been whilst diving for a ball? Do tell! Have you seen my thread on what risks you take in TT? :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 16:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes it was a very wide ball on my FH in the doubles match... the shot won the point, but I didn't see much of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 01:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
Yes it was a very wide ball on my FH in the doubles match... the shot won the point, but I didn't see much of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cool. Didn't you mention you may be able to get video of the doubles? Maybe this was caught on cam. Diving for a ball is exciting to see, winning the point with said dive...is a mastercard moment....priceless! ;) :up: :D

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 07:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Didn't you mention you may be able to get video of the doubles? Maybe this was caught on cam.

Yep, I'll find out in a few days, when I see the guy again.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 20:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

As promised, here's a brief account of the Grand Final.

Firstly I was lucky to be able to play the final at all, as I had been sick for a week, and then I had to go overseas for a few weeks as we had some problems in the family, so I had not played competition for 4 weeks, but luckily I was back in time for the final!

We started off on 2 tables, our no2 played their no4, and I (no3 in our team) played their No 1 :( . Their No1 is one of the top players in the league, and I've never beaten him, but still I knew I was in with a chance, because it's a final, and in finals things can happen. Our No2 had a comfortable win in straight sets, so we were off to a good start. I felt well focussed for my match, and won the first set 11-9 :up: The only way I could beat this player is to disrupt the game, so I really mixed things up, which got me through the first set.
I had a poor start in the 2nd set, which is quite common for me, and although I still played quite well, he started landing some of his big loops, which are usually so fast I struggle to get a bat to them. Lost that one 11-8. Had another bad start in the 3rd, being 4-0 down. He was getting used to me, and setting up his loops well...I was a little lost for answers there, and went down 11-4! Fourth set I took a little break and had a good chat to my team mates... I got my focus back. This game was neck & neck, with some really good ralleys. Although I played well , he was too good, and won the set 11-9.

Next up was our No 1 playing their No 2 (tough match and they won one each during the season). This was really tight. and went to 5, with our No1 winning 11-8 in the fifth. Our No4 was playing their No3, and although he's always won this, this time their player was on fire and really pushed him. Again our player won 11-8 in the fifth :up:

Next was the doubles... the only part where we can choose which combination plays. There are 2 doubles played, so we decided we would stick to our best 2 combination (1&4 and 2&3). We expected they would play their top combination 1&2 (very strong) and play this one in the 2nd doubles. We figured it was best to play our strongest against their weaker, which would result in at least one 'almost sure' win and a decent chance in the other. We guessed wrong as they swapped their combination around. :sweat: :lol: So our No 1&4 played their 1&2. Well our team played brilliantly and won this one in straight sets! A very good start, up 4-1!

Next up was our No2 against their No1. Although our player is capable of beating him, their no1 was on fire and when that happens he's very hard to stop, so we lost that in straight sets. Next was our No1 against their No3, which our no1 won comfortably as well in straight sets.
Finally I was up again, after having watched 5 of our team's matches, I was playing their No4 who is a long pimple player like myself. He's a tough player and I've not beaten him before, and he was on fire against me tonight. Although I had a plan on how to play him, I could not find the focus that I had in my first match... missing some of the balls completely, which is usually a sign of lack of focus to me. I lost in straight sets. :( I did feel my lack of recent match practice came into this, but my opponent played really well, so full credit to him! :up:

Next match was a thriller... our No4 against their no2. Our player won the first 2 sets fairly comfortably, but his opponent is tough and came back to win the next 2 fairly comfortably. The final set seemed to go on forever, and drew quite a crowd. The lead changed every few points, and when our player got a few points lead, a time-out was called, after which the score was equalised again. Some of the other finals of other grades has already finished, and since our club had so many team in the grand finals, we had a lot of supporters there!
After many match points either way, our young player finally came out victorious (18-16 I think)...he's quite young, and to play so well in such a tough match show what a champion he is! :rock: :rock: :rock: We were 6-3 up... we need 2 more to win... we could taste victory now. :lol:

Next up was our doubles... myself and our No2. We're good friends and combine very well together, so we knew we had a very good chance of winning this... we were pumped. We won the first set 11-2! Such an easy set can be dangerous, and they came back hard...winning a close next set 11-9. We had a bit of a chat, and knew we just had to focus to win this. Next set produced some really good rallys but we felt in control, and win this 11-9. Next set again we planned how we'd played the set, and it worked really well, winning the set 11-5. It felt great...we were now 7-3 up!

Next up were the two No1's against each other. We knew this was going to be another really tough match as both are top players in the league! THis time of night almost all other matches were finished, so we had a bog crowd... and the cheering for our guys were a lot louder than their... the loudest cheers coming from us of course!
In a high level match, our player lost the first, but then winning the second and third. Their player made a come-back winning the 4th. Although their player had the momentum at this point, we were quietly confident our player would win any 5-setting, as he's such a class player with so much experience. Although it started off tight, he took a 7-3 lead... from there they traded points, but our player won 11-5! YEAH, we'd finally won a state league grand final!!!

Although I was a little disappointed not to win my second match, I reminded myself it's all about the team, and how we all helped getting to the final and winning it together. The joy of winning state league, the highest I'd ever player, quickly blew away any negative thoughts, and I'm really happy and proud of my team and club! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Here another picture of the proud team! :rock: :rock: :rock:
Attachment:
tt_sa_state_league_winners-2013.jpg
tt_sa_state_league_winners-2013.jpg [ 136.02 KiB | Viewed 2030 times ]

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 21:51 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I think this is the first time I've actually read anything from you about you and your team's games in almost 6 years on here. You're a bit slow, but you finally got there. Now that wasn't so hard was it? :up: :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2013, 10:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You'll never know how long this took me :oops: ... and it was only thanks to a friend who happened to take a picture of the scoresheet (which I never saw) to remind me of what happened. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2013, 20:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

One little gripe I have about SA Finals in the main Pennant competition is that only the Grand Final has official umpire... every other game during the season, and the earlier finals are all umpired just by the team members (take turns).
Why is that an issue you might ask? Well the umpires are required to check people's bats, call on illegal serves, etc.
While that's a good thing, and everyone should play within the rules, Grand Finals are already very tense, and would you not hate to by picked up for a minor issue with your bat, or a serve that is marginally illegal only in the Grand Final, while it was never called during the whole season? This can really spoil an otherwise great occasion... not only for the players, but for the supporters as well.

Although the umpires were good and seemed very reasonable, I know there have been issues in the past... picking up on a lose bit on a rubber or something minor... that does not really affect the game, or picking on serves not being thrown high enough. Especially for the lower grades, many of the players may not have been aware of he issues. Of course they should be made aware, but the Grand Final is not the right occasion IMO.

I think it would be best to have official umpires for at least one series of matches during the season, so that these issues can be pointed out to players, and they don't get a surprise just in the Grand Final.
I plan to discuss this with the Match Director... just didn't get around to it yet. ;)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2013, 21:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Same thing occurs at Vets tournaments. And what is worse, different umpires will let things go that certain others won't. :headbang:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2013, 21:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Now that my season is finished, I'd like to experiment a little more... try some new equipment to see if it suits me... you never know :oops:

First thing I tried was the new Hellfire and the Grip-S Europe soft, both of which I posted some comments on already. The hellfire looks very promising so I will persist and hope to try it against some higher level players. I suspect I won't like the soft version of the Grip-S, but I'll give it another go, as I really liked some of the curve on got on sidespin loops.

Tomorrow I hope to test these rubbers again, as well as have a go with a Barath blade, which I've put together for a friend, and I'll be able to have a go as well. I've out two Yanus DF rubbers on there, so I can have another go with those as well.

Ahhh I love exprimenting and trying out stuff.... I'm such an EJ :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 04:26 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
haggisv wrote:
Ahhh I love exprimenting and trying out stuff.... I'm such an EJ :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sentiment of 95% of the table tennis players on the forums.

And who can blame them????

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 10:09 

haggisv wrote:
Now that my season is finished...

Any videos taken during that final? perhaps even posted on the YT?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 10:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You're not the first one that asked JimTh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually asked not to be recorded for my singles, as I knew it could affect my game. I know one of our doubled matches was recorded, so that might be an option, but I've not managed to get hold of the person that recorded it. If I do, and if it passes my strict "no-embarresment" test :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: I might post it.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 07:00 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Of COURSE you'll post a video of yourself haggisv.....

I'm not even gonna say more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next