OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Reb Report!
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 11:36 
Super User

Hey Reb! Glad to see you're back!

I was playing at Dandy last night on table 16. Were you there? I too missed the start of the season last Tuesday. I had to pick my folks up from the airport.

Juic Offense Ultima 2.0mm Red

Backup:
Blade: Stiga Optimum Sync C-Pen
Globe 999 National Team 2.0mm Red
729 804-40 Super Soft Pro Ver 2.0mm Black

On its way: Haifu Blue Whale II (Black Sponge) Red Label Factory Tuned

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 11:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
fattchoi wrote:
Reb, I rather you remind me NOT to play doubles. It can be quite hazardous playing with or against me in doubles :oops: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

Ok, in the interests of safety, we'll keep it strictly single then. :wink: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 11:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

guitarpug wrote:
Hey Reb! Glad to see you're back!

I was playing at Dandy last night on table 16. Were you there? I too missed the start of the season last Tuesday. I had to pick my folks up from the airport.

Yeah mate I was on table 3. You would have walked past me for sure. Our team was last to finish. Didn't leave til 11.10.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 16:33 
Mars Attacks!

Nice to see you 2 love birds have found each other. sorry couldn't resist :lol: :eye:

I had the weirdest experience on Monday night @ Dandy, if you remember it was raining all day and when I got to the club to warm up for the matches @ about 6:30pm I found that the roof was leaking in 1 spot in the entire hall, yes you guessed it on my court table 8. We all stood around and waiting to see if it stopped or just go home, it reminded me of a wet day at the cricket waiting to see if it stopped raining and we could play. The leak was dripping pretty consistently so we had the bright idea to put a bucket (with a towel in it to stop splash) right under the drip and mop the floor and things got drier. The leak was not on the table but hard up against a table leg where no one when realistically need to go with their footwork so we all decided to play our matches and ignore the drip.

It was OK and no one really had any problems until in 1 game I reached over to get to a very wide short serve, going off my FH side and caught a huge drop of water straight in the eye and missed my shot, my reaction was so sudden and abrupt that everyone laughed and we played a let. Its even more strange as I wear glasses which makes the drip in the eyes even more of a 1 in a million chance.

Maybe we can have a guitarpug result summary as part of the famous Reb Report

cheers guys, now I have 2 reasons to come down on a Tuesday night and have a look at the real props play. :twisted:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 17:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Whilst I don't have a problem with thread "hi-jacks" Mars, GP has already started his own thread on his results. I would like to read his results somewhere though. Its always good to read results Mars *hint hint*. :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 18:00 
Mars Attacks!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Whilst I don't have a problem with thread "hi-jacks" Mars, GP has already started his own thread on his results. I would like to read his results somewhere though. Its always good to read results Mars *hint hint*. :wink:

Yes saw GP's thread and welcomed him, of course I was only joking. :eye: I must admit it has became a bit of a ritual for me to log onto he forum Wednesday mornings with my first cup of coffee @ work and look up your writeup, always entertaining.

You are always welcome to look at my results on the board @ our club if you want to know how I am going :tongue: :oops: but I will save you the time I 'm going pretty ordinary my win ratio is currently exactly 50% but having lots of fun.
cheers

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 18:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Mars63 wrote:
I 'm going pretty ordinary my win ratio is currently exactly 50% but having lots of fun.
cheers[/color]

Wow I have 66% right now. Might be the first and only time my ratio is better than yours :P :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 18:47 
Mars Attacks!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Mars63 wrote:
I 'm going pretty ordinary my win ratio is currently exactly 50% but having lots of fun.
cheers[/color]

Wow I have 66% right now. Might be the first and only time my ratio is better than yours :P :lol: :lol:

must have been a result of your excellent hit up partners and informal coaching session last Sunday afternoon :P

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 18:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Mars63 wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Mars63 wrote:
cheers[/color]

must have been a result of your excellent hit up partners and informal coaching session last Sunday afternoon :P

What all 25 minutes of it plus all that time on the sidelines after Purger got me off the table under false pretences trying my Gergely....for 30 seconds! :lol: :lol:

But yes I guess some credit must go to you and Purger. How does 5% sound? :P :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 22:51 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Blah.
Mine's 0% for this season :(

(That's 0/2)

Down 1-3, got back to 3-3, completely caked it in the 7th again.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 23:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

So you just need to win 2 next week Silver and you'll be 50%! :wink:

The tournament at our club had someone with your name play last Sunday. You didn't sneak down here did you?

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 01:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Was a largely disappointing night all around tonight. Our middle-eastern teammate didn't turn up and we got a fill-in but he was a very rusty B2 player from many seasons ago and simply wasn't up to it. Really nice young guy (actually he was 30 even though he looked 20) and of course he tried but the opponents were just too good. And they weren't just too good for him either. That's where more of the disappointment came in. Basically we got thrashed tonight and it just might have all been different if our third had turned up and a few things went our way.

I let my 16 year old teammate play first tonight as he said he was up for it. I couldn't understand his logic as he said he'd been playing TT all day at school and was buggered. So I offered him a rest to play third and he said he wanted to play first. Well I wasn't going to douse his enthusiasm and risk him playing worse, so I put him in. He lost 3-1. He did play a 70 something guy who uses a dual ox SP bat that I would doubt has ITTF approved rubbers on it and is arguably the best player in the division. I don't believe he has lost a match in 3 weeks having just come up from B3.

Then I played a guy who I have developed a good friendship with in my time at the club. He's from El Salvador and is just a lovely guy. But his TT is mean. He has a serve that throws everyone that he comes up against. I played him the first night I joined the club 18 months ago and he wiped me off the table with his serves. I think he was a big reason I decided to use pips, as I thought if the serve standard is like his here, I'm gonna get killed. I played him in a championship round last year and he just ran me over even then. So when he took the first game tonight 11-6, I wasn't surprised. Funny thing was I felt competitive with him and still lost so easily on the scoreboard. I upped my work rate in the second game and found myself at 10-8 and was hoping to sneak the game from him before he could deuce it. No such luck. He got it back to 10 all. Then he went 11-10 and I decided I wasn't going to just give it to him. So I fought back to 11 all and then I took the advantage, and it was his serve. I knew I just had to take the next point or my confidence would be shot. I can't even remember how I got it, but 13-11 it was. So I felt good, cos this was the first time I'd taken a game from him. Went into the third game and I think I had slightly built up an edge over his confidence. I knew he found my LP hard to deal with, and he was also finding a little bit of trouble with my serves. He tried to pop up to my BH when he did give one, and a few times I managed to smack them away with the LP for winners. This is something I have been trying to bring into my game and it is really starting to show up more. I also was in fine form with the R450 on the FH and even found myself get around on my FH on the BH side a few times and just blasting away and landing them with such ferocity he had no chance as they bounced over his head (he's only about 5' 4 or so). So I took out the 3rd game about 11-7. We both got water and he said to me he was playing my game too much and he should be attacking more. I love someone wanting to attack me more usually, because its more opportunity for them to either mess up trying, or give me balls to block back and get them in knots with. All went pretty well in the 4th and I found myself at 7-5 up. I often freeze a bit when this happens (I look like beating someone I know can beat me), but I was determined not to. So I kept on with what I had been doing. Returning a bit harder than normal off the pips and looping or smashing with the R450. Actually I was doing a fair bit more looping than I normally do as I am finding this rubber really can get the opponent to make errors with the spin jumping a little side-ways. And I indeed got him to over-read one too, because he had missed some sidespin loops earlier, and so he copped the ball on his hand. At 9-7 I served him one off the pips and it just didn't skip as much as he thought. He went to loop it back at me and completely missed the ball. So serving at 10-7 I tried to spin him off the table with my BH serve. No luck and after a short raly I copped his BH drive back past me... 10-8. On the next rally off his serve though, I tempted him with a lowish push that was just high enough that he had a stab at attacking it. And it was pleasing to see it dive into the net with the underspin it was carrying. So I took out our second game and evened it up to 1 all.

After losing our next singles with our fill-in playing, my 16 year old teammate and I tried to play doubles again. We lost, but we combined better than we had the previous week, and it showed promise. So it wasn't a total write-off. The next 3 singles were all losses to us, but I was very disappointed in myself for losing mine. The Romanian guy I played is also a guy I have developed a good friendship with since he joined about a year ago. Until I snapped my achilles, he and I would often hit up before matches started. He's a strong looper and hitter. He took the first set 11-6 I think. I then took the next 2 sets from him with 11-7 and 11-8. I was travellling quite well in the 4th, but slipped nearing the finish line and let him get to 9-7. I had been smashing really well against him. His game, when loop or smash opportunities are not apparent, is to lob a bit and put it in places where he hopes you will have a go and muck them up. He is also an excellent blocker. I lost count of the number of smashes I put down at him that he got back on the table, where most people wouldn't even get a bat on them. Anyway, suddenly my smash just left me. Or should I say it went on the blink, both BH and FH. He took out the 4th 11-9 and we continued into the 5th. I think he was 5-3 up at the change and I battled it back to 5 all. Then we went 6 all. I kept on getting a point and then missing a smash and giving it back. This went on to 10 all. I think I pushed his next serve long to give him 11-10 and I thought I was going to fight him back again. So I played it carefully, but he just whipped out this deadly fast BH loop drive at me that hit the edge of my bat and dove into the table and I was down and pretty much out. I was completely zapped. When my young teammate faced this guy next to his absolute credit he played the best game of the 2 weeks I've seen him play. He demolished him in 3 sets with scoreline about 9,6 and 7. He barely put a foot wrong. He looped and smashed with grace. It was like he was a different person. I put it down to my Romanian friend simply having a style my teammate could relate to, and perhaps that his match with me had also zapped him (which he said it did). They had some awesome fast rallies. I scored the match and it was a great spectate.

I played the last match of the night against the old dual Ox player. I win the first set 13-11 having been 10-6 down. I still don't know how I managed that, and the old guy mentioned afterward how he couldn't fathom it either. I couldn't play my normal game with this guy. His pips were not giving many smashing opportunities. We had a lot of long pushing rallies pip to pip as he kept mainly to my BH, only going to my FH when he could smash it there. And this guy had a decent smash with his SP pip blade. He won the 2nd set fairly closely and I won the third in similar fashion. He edged me out in the 4th and so once again I had another match going to 5 sets. I knuckled down in the 5th and changed at 5-1 up my way. My head just went off with the fairies I think at that point, cos the next thing I was 6-4 up, and then 6 all. And before I knew it he was 8-6 up. Now I know my head just wasn't there, because I can't even remember the final score or if it went to deuce. Mars and GP were watching, they might remember. All I know is I wasn't the winner. But it was a tight match and I think if I had a bit more energy to stay focussed I'd win some of these close ones. In fact they might not get to being close for that matter.

With 3 losses and no wins it'll be hard not to end up woodenspooners this season I think. So I figure I will use this season to try to really go for my shots more and take a lot more risks to develop my game to a better standard. I know I already felt some things tonight that I dealt with more authority than last season (like some BH drives and smashes that I probably would have pushed back last season). I missed quite a few shots that I went for as well, but at least this season I'm captain and I don't have last season's captain glaring down my neck for stuffing up lol.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 11:17 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Reb, always great reading your adventure :D Sorry about the outcome but still sounds very enjoyable to me :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 12:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks Choi. It was enjoyable, despite the outcome. Would have been more enjoyable to have won just one of those 5 setters of course, but its now history. I'm really finding I could use a second night of TT comp in the week, because there is this huge build-up just having the one night and whether it goes well or badly, its another whole week until I get to do it again. Quite a conundrum as I battle for the energy to get through that one night, not sure I'd have enough for a second...not to mention it doubling up the cost to play a second night. We have a Thursday night comp at our club. I might have to start going down and see if I can fill-in sometimes, and see how I go.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 13:35 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Reb, sounds like you need more TT :lol: Like you, how I wish my club down the road would put on an extra day of TT. If they do, I won't have to go so far away to play.

Anyway, good luck to your ever-interesting adventure. I am sure it will get better as the season progresses. Best get all the bad results out of the way first :wink: :D

Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 94  Next