OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 21:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

China sports with a candid camera.

https://youtu.be/0W__FbmCSZE?t=1235

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 May 2021, 06:55 

Brett Clarke wrote:
As Timo Boll pushes the hell out of the earth with his left leg, his body quickly comes up and backwards (Yes, backwards). But as this push drives his body up/back, his wrist/racket continues to go down for a while directly against the body movement https://youtu.be/dL68m34--ng?t=106 Then the racket has to play catch up and this is the definition of whip. The racket head speed created is enormous and that's where the spin comes from. He isn't the world strongest man or something. It's more like a magic trick with body and hand timing.

Timo's explanation of where the spin comes from differs from mine, if you watch the entire video.

Interesting to read this as I was watching some footage of some multiball I did and it looked to me like I was going backwards a bit.. and I thought I was supposed to be going forward as that's what everyone always says one should do.

My usual training partner and I bought 100 balls and decided to start feeding some multi-ball once in a while. Though I've realized I need to be a bit careful. It gave me quite a bit lower back and a bit right hip discomfort which I've had from this movement before - I think I tend to overrotate and maybe lift my right hip/leg too much on the follow through. The right side of my body feels weaker too so it's likely I need to do some strength exercises and strengthen my core as well. FH vs backspin seems especially taxing on the back - it isn't surprising that bending and twisting excessively might not be that good for it :D. I find multiball extremely fun but I don't think I can go full out like I'm doing here for very long and I shouldn't do it often, at least not for FH vs backspin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvTyDUI1YtU

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 09:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Richfs wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
As Timo Boll pushes the hell out of the earth with his left leg, his body quickly comes up and backwards (Yes, backwards). But as this push drives his body up/back, his wrist/racket continues to go down for a while directly against the body movement https://youtu.be/dL68m34--ng?t=106 Then the racket has to play catch up and this is the definition of whip. The racket head speed created is enormous and that's where the spin comes from. He isn't the world strongest man or something. It's more like a magic trick with body and hand timing.

Timo's explanation of where the spin comes from differs from mine, if you watch the entire video.

Interesting to read this as I was watching some footage of some multiball I did and it looked to me like I was going backwards a bit.. and I thought I was supposed to be going forward as that's what everyone always says one should do.

My usual training partner and I bought 100 balls and decided to start feeding some multi-ball once in a while. Though I've realized I need to be a bit careful. It gave me quite a bit lower back and a bit right hip discomfort which I've had from this movement before - I think I tend to overrotate and maybe lift my right hip/leg too much on the follow through. The right side of my body feels weaker too so it's likely I need to do some strength exercises and strengthen my core as well. FH vs backspin seems especially taxing on the back - it isn't surprising that bending and twisting excessively might not be that good for it :D. I find multiball extremely fun but I don't think I can go full out like I'm doing here for very long and I shouldn't do it often, at least not for FH vs backspin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvTyDUI1YtU

It looks good Rich. Your body movement looks perfect to me.

Start your backswing later. Keep your racket behind the flight of the ball for as long as possible. Walk around after every 5-10 shots for recovery.

Watch this guy. His racket stays above the table for a little longer than you. I know it's hard to see when you haven't looked for it before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_8tEhY_Ck . It means that his backswing is faster and some of that backswing may force against his upwards and rotating body movement. This is the real gold.

So, to keep is simple, keep your racket above the table for longer before entering the backswing.

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 09:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here is an example of me delaying the shot and getting a small part of the fast backswing into the forward/upward body turn.

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 09:58 

Brett Clarke wrote:
Here is an example of me delaying the shot and getting a small part of the fast backswing into the forward/upward body turn.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall during that session :)

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 17:22 

Among other things, I have been practicing BH topspin vs backspin. For some reason, the advice to squat and straighten the back works better for me than the advice to squat and thrust (although they're supposed to mean the same thing).

It seems that I can use my body better than previously for this shot. Today, I tried to delay my backswing, but I wasn't able to do so -- it's difficult to change habits.

https://youtu.be/icnYAIy9rfw

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 17:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I have been working on my BH vs. backspin a bit too. I really like how @chopblock can keep his arm structure firm against backspin. I have a tendency to collapse my arm structure when facing heavy spin and I am afraid it causes inconsistency under pressure.

BTW, I am playing with Mercury II on my BH now.

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 20:37 

Dr.Pivot wrote:
I have been working on my BH vs. backspin a bit too. I really like how @chopblock can keep his arm structure firm against backspin. I have a tendency to collapse my arm structure when facing heavy spin and I am afraid it causes inconsistency under pressure.

BTW, I am playing with Mercury II on my BH now.

thanks. i would say that the exercise I was doing is easier than your exercise (you had to move towards the ball and you faced more backspin). the way you use your body looks good. sometimes you lean backward a little while straightening the back. previously, i would have said that it's suboptimal, but Boll was doing it in the video Brett posted (while playing a FH topspin vs backspin). maybe this happened when you faced a lot of backspin.

how do you like Mercury II on the BH? how does it compare to what you previously used?

PostPosted: 20 May 2021, 21:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
how do you like Mercury II on the BH? how does it compare to what you previously used?

Mercury II is one the slowest rubber I ever played with, even boosted with 2 layers of Falco. It is probably faster than a pre-made racket from a local sporting good store I used 10 years ago, but not much. In order to get a decent speed against the block, I have to swing with my whole body like there is no tomorrow. I kind of like it because the whole point of switching to it was making my life easier on returning long topspin serves. In that case, the slower the better, so it perfectly fits the purpose.

I also switched my FH back to Hurricane 3 (from a "hybrid" German tensor) and it went completely seamless.

PostPosted: 21 May 2021, 03:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Is Mercury II slower than H3? I tried H3 and stopped using it because it was too slow for me (even when boosted - I'm talking about the "retail" H3, not the expensive stuff). I've used Mercury II several times (mainly on my backhand) and found it pretty much interchangeable with the myriad $5-6 sheets out there (Yinhe 9000, 729 Batwings, etc.) and didn't notice that it was any slower than H3. If anything it was just slightly faster than 729 or Yinhe 9000.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 May 2021, 10:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Is Mercury II slower than H3?
Iskandar

From my experience, a well-boosted H3 is quite fast, close to slower modern EuroJap rubbers. But I use "Provincial" version from TT11. Interestingly, H3 requires a period of breaking in, maybe 4 hours of play. After that, it becomes a lot faster.

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 00:38 

Brett Clarke wrote:
Richfs wrote:
Pongalong wrote:
Brett, I'm puzzled by what you said a month ago about you always serving at maximum spin. Wouldn't that remove your disguise of the amount of spin? As long as the opponent could tell what direction the spin was i.e. backspin versus topspin, they would quickly learn the strength of your spin (for each different type of serve).

I feel like you don't have to disguise the amount of spin unless you intend to serve no spin. It's always more scary to return a loaded serve than a serve with less spin. Even if they can tell the spin, it's better to have it loaded with spin as they then might accidentally push long or pop it up. I also think it's easier to read serves with less spin, the flight path and the serve motion is easier to read as you'd have to intentionally make a slower swing for weaker spin. When it all happens very quickly it's more difficult to pick up the amount and type of spin, then the "disguise" happens as a biproduct of efficient serve mechanics. It seems counterproductive to do the opposite, except for a no spin serve, but then I think it's more about keeping the swing as fast/similar but with a flatter contact.

Brett may have mentioned this stuff before, maybe he has some more/other thoughts on this.

I like this response by Rich.

I'm not convinced, because I reckon the vast majority of players don't do what Brett is suggesting. How about a poll - does ANYONE serve like that?

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 05:31 

Brett Clarke wrote:
Richfs wrote:

It looks good Rich. Your body movement looks perfect to me.

Start your backswing later. Keep your racket behind the flight of the ball for as long as possible. Walk around after every 5-10 shots for recovery.

Watch this guy. His racket stays above the table for a little longer than you. I know it's hard to see when you haven't looked for it before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_8tEhY_Ck . It means that his backswing is faster and some of that backswing may force against his upwards and rotating body movement. This is the real gold.

So, to keep is simple, keep your racket above the table for longer before entering the backswing.

Thanks Brett, the stuff about delaying the backswing has been really helpful for all my strokes - and I can do it more. I guess it's easy to start the backswing as soon as the body starts pulling the arm and hand back (which happens naturally and to me, isn't the "real" backswing), it's very tempting to bring the arm back and start the backswing as the body is bringing it back which I think often leads to an early backswing and then it's not completely coordinated with the body. Feels to me like the backswing should start (and be done very quickly), when the push from the legs/body work begins so that as you say - the backswing is forced against the body movement.

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 06:01 

Pongalong wrote:
I'm not convinced, because I reckon the vast majority of players don't do what Brett is suggesting. How about a poll - does ANYONE serve like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKsxyXdjtA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKyfQN2oiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTb9nXQXxOA&t=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5qeMkdeaQ0

Here are several videos of pros practicing serve. Almost all of them are loaded with spin. Those that aren't have close to no spin. For their serves to have less spin they'd have to intentionally slow down their racket speed or get a thicker contact which would most likely result in a no spin ball. I get that in these videos they are just practicing, but have you ever seen a pro intentionally slow down their racket speed in a match to serve with less spin? If they slow down their racket speed, it's much easier to see what spin is on the ball and it's easier to flick and push short.

So what would be the purpose of serving with less spin when it's easier to read the contact and the flight of the ball? If they did serve with less spin, why is pretty much every single serve in the practice videos loaded? If they sometimes serve with less spin, shouldn't they be practicing those serves too?

Perhaps at the non pro level it's possible that it can sometimes be useful to serve with less spin as it might be more difficult to handle the spin coming back to you if you served with heavy spin.
Speaking from my own experience when I've served with less spin - it's just easier for my opponent to flick or push the serve short, I haven't experienced that it helps disguise my heavier serve. So I always aim to serve with max spin, unless I serve nospin. Also for topspin serves it might help to add more sidespin so the serve doesn't kick long for the opponent to topspin, but I still think in general it isn't a good idea to serve with less spin, I believe serving with variation of the type of spin in combination with nospin to be more useful.

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 08:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Brett Clarke wrote:
charmander defender wrote:
I got an excellent coach now.The key to a decent topspin is ,in my opinion , the rotation of the body, the rotation of the shoulder- you have to face the ball rotating the body,rotating the shoulder; the timing for the ball- do not approach the ball with your hands,which is precisely what most players do at an amateur level- , the footwork- move sideways and flexing- and to do this consistently at any age is so difficult, hence lots of hours in training sessions .

The Chinese being the best in the world, not only do they have the best coaches but they also train more than the rest of the world.This is the key to the Chinese success.Also, the Chinese discipline for children is a bonus.Let´s say a parent chooses tt for their child as he / she is so enthusiastic .If you impose the Chinese discipline for the European children, most of them will stop playing.

We will all die at some point and the Chinese will continue to dominate tt.The Japanese seem to be getting very close but not close enough yet .

A pro in Europe usually trains in 2 sessions per day. Can you guess how many sessions do the Chinese have? try to do some research, you will be amazed.The Chinese dream about tt,have breakfast with tt, have lunch with tt, have dinner with tt 24/7.The same thing when you wanted to chat up your wife, you did everything possible to get her :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's great that you are happy with your coach charmander. TT is much more interesting when you are working on your game.

Someone significant in tt asked me an interesting question the other day - If you removed every coach from China, what would happen to level of China? Would they still be the best? The guy wasn't really asking me a question, rather he wanted to start a conversation to discuss his opinion and theories.

If you removed every cricket coach in India, would they start losing to Fiji? If you removed every basketball coach in the USA, would they start losing to Indonesia, Vietnam & Cambodia? If you removed every AFL coach in Australia, would we start losing to PNG?

China has 30 million TT players and Australia has 7000. Germany has 700,000, France 300,000. My point is that the size of the pyramid is a significant and underrated factor. Sweden has 10,000 players when they were beating China and I find that very interesting.

I believe that people sometimes overrated the importance of coaches, though there is such a thing as a decent coach.

Hi, Brett ! maybe this video can add some interesting facts to the discussion on China's Supremacy in tt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Rr_vvGsaA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532 ... 568  Next