OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

do you call it table tennis or ping pong?
Table tennis only 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
Ping pong only 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Either, I don't care 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
Table tennis only AND I correct others using the term ping pong 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 32
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 07:29 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
As the title says, what do you call it? Do you correct others? I myself will call it either, and don't care what others call it.

I though it would be interesting to see the numbers on this...

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 07:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Ping Pong is a different game really whereby two people prod the ball back and forth without aggression. Ping Pong is actually a registered trademark for Parker Bros. games I believe.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 07:34 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Depends on where I am. In the U.S. I always say table tennis. When in China, it is Ping Pong. If you say table tennis in China, you usually get a blank stare. :rofl:

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 07:41 
Super User

Well Reb, some of the guys at my club call it ping pong, and they don't just prod it back and forth! But I know what you mean. People who call it pingpong tend to be basement players. on the whole.

I have heard that hookshot, but I was never sure if it was true. I know you've been there, so now I have some evidence. Do they pronounce it "ping pong" still?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 07:48 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Table tennis. Our league is called Preston Table Tennis Association, and the ETTA is the English Table Tennis Association. Makes sense to call it what the league and national association call it. I'm not so naive as to believe that that's what it should be called exclusively though and recognise that other parts of the world / other people call it ping pong and that's fine. What bothers me is how many play the sport and getting more to play it unless it's the name that's putting them off playing :)

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 08:50 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Reborn is right: the term Ping Pong was coined by the game's manufacturer, Parker Bros. at the turn of the century - 1927, I think.

Ping Pong is a game
Table Tennis is a sport

If you call it Ping Pong, then you treat this great activity as an idle game. If you call it Table Tennis, then you treat this great activity as a serious sport.

As you can deduce from my response, I don't like the term, Ping Pong, unless I'm watching giggling drunks around a BBQ pushing a ball between themselves! :P

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 09:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Oskar wrote:
Reborn is right: the term Ping Pong was coined by the game's manufacturer, Parker Bros. at the turn of the century - 1927, I think.

Ping Pong is a game
Table Tennis is a sport

If you call it Ping Pong, then you treat this great activity as an idle game. If you call it Table Tennis, then you treat this great activity as a serious sport.

As you can deduce from my response, I don't like the term, Ping Pong, unless I'm watching giggling drunks around a BBQ pushing a ball between themselves! :P

Ping pong is the official name in Chinese for "table tennis". Always has been, and always will. To call table tennis ping pong should not be a derogatory practice, regardless of how many still insist on making it so.

Take any major table tennis association in the Western world formed by Asians, for example, the Canadian Chinese Table Tennis Association on Mytt.net site... The Chinese name for this association in the same ad is "Canadian Chinese Ping Pong Association". The same with our Los Angeles Table Tennis Association (http://www.latabletennis.com), the official name in Chinese for our organization is "Los Angeles Ping Pong Association", right underneath our name in English. The same with everyone of the hundreds of Asian American founded table tennis clubs in America.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 09:22 

Roundrobin, you do accept that a games manufacturer made up that term, don't you? That's really the only distinction I'm making and it just feels a bit cheap to me to call this sport, Ping Pong. But, hey, I do believe in evolution and the right of the Chinese to evolve the term for the better - if that makes any sense.

Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud! :?:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 09:39 

Let me stand corrected, it was actually (according to Wikipedia) a term first coined by British manufacturers, J. Jacques & Sons in 1901. Well, in fact, Ping Pong was a term that existed well before that, along with the term , Wiff-Waff, when the 'game' was a gentleman's activity in smoking parlours. Anyway, it was the British manufacturer who sold the term to Parker Bros. in the US. [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_tennis]

I wonder why Wiff-waff never took off? :^)

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 09:43 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Oskar wrote:
I wonder why Wiff-waff never took off?

That's what I call it, but all I get is these blank stares.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 10:22 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
We need to promote the sport. I call it both ways to reach out for others but when talking to serious players, I used the term Table tennis. Sometimes we call table tennis players as "pongers". In our place, ping pong is much popular byword but for serious competition, table tennis is always and will always be the term we used.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 10:55 
Super User

I play Table Tennis, not ping pong :headbang:

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 10:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mynamenotbob wrote:
Oskar wrote:
I wonder why Wiff-waff never took off?

That's what I call it, but all I get is these blank stares.

Maybe cos it sounds like what happens when someone breaks wind! :oops:

Der tends to play this game when he changes end by all accounts! :lol: :P

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 14:46 
Super User

Oskar wrote:
Let me stand corrected, it was actually (according to Wikipedia) a term first coined by British manufacturers, J. Jacques & Sons in 1901. Well, in fact, Ping Pong was a term that existed well before that, along with the term , Wiff-Waff, when the 'game' was a gentleman's activity in smoking parlours. Anyway, it was the British manufacturer who sold the term to Parker Bros. in the US. [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_tennis]

I wonder why Wiff-waff never took off? :^)

I was going to point this out actually. It was one of the original nicknames used before it was trademarked, actually: (From wikipedia) The name "ping-pong" was in wide use before British manufacturer J. Jaques & Son Ltd trademarked it in 1901.

This is supported in other online articles as well, such as: http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/fall04/ ... story.html

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 15:12 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

table tennis, ping pong, whatever. I take the game seriously, i'll call it whatever I need to so that the people i'm talking to understand me :-)

"slappy slappy slappity slap"