OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 01:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:
t. And who am I to tell others how to play?

It's a tt forum. Everyone gets to have an opinion on a tt forum...

Yeah, I might have an opinion on some details. But if someone is a blocker, I am not going to convince them to turn into a chopper. If somebody likes to watch movies squarely in front of the screen, I will not try to sell them a seat on the left.

Wait till you are angry and tell them they should only sit in seat G18. You'll be surprised how much better you feel.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 01:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Wait till you are angry and tell them they should only sit in seat G18. You'll be surprised how much better you feel.

Ok, you convinced me, I will give it a try.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 02:57 

Brett Clarke wrote:
You can send me through video every day though you are zen enough to post here too. ;) There are some people who send through video 5 times per week...I bet you can't do 6!

Just you wait and see :) Though I don't play often enough to do that!

NextLevel wrote:
No!. You are not permitted to send stuff directly to him. You have to post it here first so we can all eat you for breakfast. Brett can have the leftovers.

Haha don't worry. I'll still mostly post here.

Brett Clarke wrote:
Good left hand pivot

I tried one of these the other day. The ball just came back because I had no power to the shot. :oops: I might post it but I didn't reposition my camera so you can't really see me do the shot clearly. Only the resulting weak ball.

Brett Clarke wrote:
Over 80% of my email replies sound like this..."your shot looks really good...keep going".

I actually find stuff like this really useful. I feel like my "rating" has gone up possibly 100 points since the backhand dive discussion and comments on my forehand. I keep trying different things because I always feel like I need to keep changing things. I'm still trying to refine things of course, but being told that it's at an acceptable place has given me more confidence to just play the stroke. And I feel like a lot of that practice (for consistency and just being more flexible with the stroke) has improved my game a lot. I still don't do the same strokes during match play and semi random drills, but the average match stroke is definitely closer to it now than before.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 09:34 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Here is my serve and 3rd ball practice into 1- and 1 transition practice. I serve backspin or side backspin, my partner is allowed to return anywhere long on the table no matter where I serve from and I then try to open, he blocks back to the opening and then I do one FH/BH alternating.

It was at the end of maybe 3 to 4 hours of practice so in some ways I am gassed. But let me know whatever you see as I think this is what my body wants to do by default tecnically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3x-mB2Gkw

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 09:45 

NextLevel wrote:
Here is my serve and 3rd ball practice into 1- and 1 transition practice. I serve backspin or side backspin, my partner is allowed to return anywhere long on the table no matter where I serve from and I then try to open, he blocks back to the opening and then I do one FH/BH alternating.

It was at the end of maybe 3 to 4 hours of practice so in some ways I am gassed. But let me know whatever you see as I think this is what my body wants to do by default tecnically.

I would suggest Taking the ones like @ 2.04 earlier.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 10:03 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

big d wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Thanks. What makes that a different one? Usually, and for this drill, I try to take underspin late. One of my coaches told me it is better to respect the underspin ball.and spin it than to get aggressive and be left unable to spin the low balls or miss into the bet.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 11:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

I think the forehand was great and the backhand is getting there. I can see everything that you are trying to do and it's a good track. Your friend's pushes are pretty sharp, so it's not an easy thing you are doing.

The stand out to me is the lack of LTT96 and LTT119 on the serve. I like this concept because it's better for serve quality and recovery.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 11:48 

NextLevel wrote:
big d wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Thanks. What makes that a different one? Usually, and for this drill, I try to take underspin late. One of my coaches told me it is better to respect the underspin ball.and spin it than to get aggressive and be left unable to spin the low balls or miss into the bet.

Yeah against fast pushes may not be the best idea to wait too long. You may end up taking them behind u

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 11:52 

Some content from yesterday’s. I choked up a lot of big leads.
The league was extremely exhausting Felt tired during and still recovering after 24 hours.

Another frustrating part was whiffing so many balls that was just an odd feeling.

Sorry had to work today so no time for editing

https://youtu.be/Sxv6Pn-DdUo

https://youtu.be/SLG_kobgboA

https://youtu.be/2oOEB4bZvro

https://youtu.be/wVKsJWvKFsk

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 11:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
big d wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

You should take it later! You should take it earlier! Wait for the ball and get lots of spin! Get the ball whilst it's still over the table so you can come forward more! Go somewhere in the middle of the road so you are neither too early or too late!

All of the above advice is said with good intentions but I think it's all part of the same conundrum. I can for argue for and against all of it. Just tell me which debating team I'm on and I'll prepare and go for the kill.

Or maybe just get your legs/body doing the right thing and hit the ball (This is what I think you were doing, hence my positive position in the post above).

When you have time against weaker balls, you may find yourself taking it earlier in that context. Against tougher balls, you may find yourself taking it later. And then we could talk about the trillion grey areas and increments in between the two extremes. Or maybe just get your legs/body doing the right thing and hit the ball.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 12:11 

I would suggest Taking the ones like @ 2.04 earlier.[/quote]

Thanks. What makes that a different one? Usually, and for this drill, I try to take underspin late. One of my coaches told me it is better to respect the underspin ball.and spin it than to get aggressive and be left unable to spin the low balls or miss into the bet.[/quote]

You should take it later! You should take it earlier! Wait for the ball and get lots of spin! Get the ball whilst it's still over the table so you can come forward more! Go somewhere in the middle of the road so you are neither too early or too late!

All of the above advice is said with good intentions but I think it's all part of the same conundrum. I can for argue for and against all of it. Just tell me which debating team I'm on and I'll prepare and go for the kill.

Or maybe just get your legs/body doing the right thing and hit the ball (This is what I think you were doing, hence my positive position in the post above).

When you have time against weaker balls, you may find yourself taking it earlier in that context. Against tougher balls, you may find yourself taking it later. And then we could talk about the trillion grey areas and increments in between the two extremes. Or maybe just get your legs/body doing the right thing and hit the ball.[/quote]

So what time is our Zoom call Tomorrow? :rofl:

I’m here to get get in “Good Trouble”

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020, 12:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:

When you have time against weaker balls, you may find yourself taking it earlier in that context. Against tougher balls, you may find yourself taking it later. And then we could talk about the trillion grey areas and increments in between the two extremes. Or maybe just get your legs/body doing the right thing and hit the ball.

Hahaha. The focus was getting the body to do the right thing. Even with all my hours of hitting the ball, I don't have the time to fix everything so for me it is important to try and do what is relatively correct.

Taking the ball later to me in the context of backspin just means to spin the ball up, not necessarily that I am really taking the ball later. I sometimes try to kill low and relatively heavy backspin (which is usually what I do in these drills when I am early to the ball, even vs a good push) and the coach had a really heavy push which made the whole thing comical (for context, he beat both Wang Jinxin and Wang Xi because they couldn't loop his push).

In any case I hear you 100%, just get the best right, adapt to the ball and play the stroke that works.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 02:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Since I can't really play, I decided to make a highlights video from some points I played in 2019 which got captured on a video. No rap music this time, though.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 11:13 

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Since I can't really play, I decided to make a highlights video from some points I played in 2019 which got captured on a video. No rap music this time, though.

A lot of cool Reverse serves!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 11:16 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Dr.Pivot wrote:

Everything looks better - great job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484 ... 568  Next