OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 08:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I think the reason why mickd's backhand swing looks small is that he likes to take the ball early, which is fine. If you play quickly, there is physically little time for a large body movement. But I also agree that the momentum is there.

Mick isn't really folding and unfolding, as I explain in 2020 03. Please explain where/how you see momentum?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 08:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
You can play a small stroke with momentum from the elbow. I don't know any top player who hits the ball quite like Mickd does. If I did I would ignore it. Has nothing to do with being close to the table. It is just a general feeling for what the shot can do when the ball doesn't show up where you like it and how you like it.

On the forehand I didn't hate the stroke but I hated the bouncing all over the place. But since I have no footwork I decided to leave that to someone else.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 09:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
I think the reason why mickd's backhand swing looks small is that he likes to take the ball early, which is fine. If you play quickly, there is physically little time for a large body movement. But I also agree that the momentum is there.

Mick isn't really folding and unfolding, as I explain in 2020 03. Please explain where/how you see momentum?

I see momentum as he is coming back into his "fold" and unfolding into the ball. It is more of an out and then in motion with his body, as he is trying to bring his torso back and then forward.

When I'm coaching I'm just happy to coach doing any movement with the body prior to the shot if they were not doing this before.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 09:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

His body is going down, then up.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 12:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

His body is going down, then up.

Thank you very much.

Can you name any extremely elite players who uses the "His body is going down, then up" system on the bh?

Can you tell me a little more about this system? Just add one more thing?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 12:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Thank you very much.

Can you name any extremely elite players who uses the "His body is going down, then up" system on the bh?

Sorry, most extremely elite players I watch run around the whole court and play forehands everywhere. When they try to play a backhand they often miss :D

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Thank you very much.

Sorry, most extremely elite players I watch run around the whole court and play forehands everywhere. When they try to play a backhand they usually miss :D

No problem re elite players.

But can you add to the backhand system? You are sitting at 55% of the way there already.

Everyone else can jump in too. I know Russ is still awake.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett, I have no idea what you are trying to get from me :) After watching mickd's sideways video closely I noticed that a lot of his thrusting motion comes from knees/hips. I don't know if it is good or not in this particular context (quick backhand against topspin).

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

fastmover wrote:
Sorry, most extremely elite players I watch run around the whole court and play forehands everywhere. When they try to play a backhand they usually miss :D

Unless they're Harimoto. Or Ito. Those two have deadly backhands, and do much of their damage through backhands. I've seen them move to their forehand sides to use their backhands, sometimes.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Unless they're Harimoto. Or Ito. Those two have deadly backhands, and do much of their damage through backhands. I've seen them move to their forehand sides to use their backhands, sometimes.

Iskandar

The backhand can be a potent weapon, especially at the elite level, no doubt. I just mostly watch players I kind of try to emulate (at least in my imagination).

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett, I have no idea what you are trying to get from me :) After watching mickd's sideways video closely I noticed that a lot of his thrusting motion comes from knees/hips. I don't know if it is good or not in this particular context (quick backhand against topspin).

Almost all of the movement comes from the straightening of his knees. I teach that almost all of the momentum comes from the bending and straightening of the torso, and the knees play a minor role.

What am I trying to get from you? The rest of this stupid puzzle.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

What is exactly wrong with using a lot of knees on this shot?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
What is exactly wrong with using a lot of knees on this shot?

If you have everything the same as Mick, exactly nothing is wrong with bending and straightening the knees.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:37 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
IF anyone is notorious for have strong backhands close to the table, it has to be the Chinese national team women, right? So they should be playing backhands that are short and whippy mostly with the wrist like mickd and since they have perfect technique, they should be using their bodies appropriately right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxLxm4pzBQA

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 13:40 

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Almost all of the movement comes from the straightening of his knees. I teach that almost all of the momentum comes from the bending and straightening of the torso, and the knees play a minor role.

What am I trying to get from you? The rest of this stupid puzzle.

imo, what you are trying to get at is that mickd's hip movement comes from straightening his knees. i.e. it's another way to generate the correct hip movement. is that right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!