OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 21:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I saw on another forum Heming will be in the World Cup for Oceania. Go Heming!

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 22:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
I am not an EJ -- at least not yet. I have been playing with Big Dipper 39 degrees 2.2mm on my FH for roughly 2 weeks and so far I am enjoying it. It doesn't seem slower than Nittaku Fastarc G-1, possibly because I used that in 1.8mm.

I have a question regarding how to take care of the rubber. It came with a protective sheet. After I finish playing I clean it with foam/sponge and then apply the protective sheet (see 1). When I removed the protective sheet today, the rubber looked like in 2, i.e. it does not really clean imo.

Does it make sense washing the protective sheet with water to remove the dust?

I personally just breath heavily onto the rubber to create condensation and then wipe it dry/clean with my hand. I do this very often during matches and also at the finish. Then I put the racket into a cover without the film. The reason I don't use the plastic film is, it was place in the trash on day one.

My method may sound a little crude, but it is used by almost every advanced tt player in the world. I'm not suggesting that it's the optimal method and I'm just reporting on what really happens.

Over the years I have thought about the impact of sweat on the rubber...more than I should have. I have concluded that some sweat on the rubber is okay (maybe even good), providing it is wiped dry shortly after. I'm sure that there are 1000 cleaning products to remove all traces of sweat off the rubber and I'm not ready to buy one.

I see club players using a damp cloth with water to clean their rubber as well as using one of the many cleaning products. I think it's totally fine if it makes them happy.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 22:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
I saw on another forum Heming will be in the World Cup for Oceania. Go Heming!

Heming has been training solely on his robot for several months, so it will be interesting to see how he plays, if he decides to go. There are crazy quarantine aspects to be considered.

Heming still sends me more self-training videos than any ttEDGE member :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020, 23:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

WUTT has become complicated and I'm totally to blame.

I have broken all self promises and I'm now coaching too much to focus on playing. I'm even taking a High Performance squad for the National Federation after being free for 2 weeks. On top of this, new people are approaching my every day for coaching and I say yes.

I have however played a total of 70 games with "Mike" so far, running at a win rate of approx 3.5 - 1. I have stuck to my base strategy and I've only made only one exploitative adjustment (which you guys call tactics) which is to attack the forehand very often, especially with my spinniest loops. I'm okay with this because I think it's good for me personally against a decent percentage of players.

Here are some of my random thoughts about stuff:

- My setup is completely fine and I think I could handle even slower rubber. My goal is to get good enough to use slower. Can I ever use PF4?
- I'm making a decent amount of forehand counterspins with Big Dipper, but I miss the end of the table too often. For this shot in particular, an even slower rubber would be better. Same with serve and return.
- TT rubber is a complete scam. Slower/cheaper is almost the only way to go, providing you use your body well. This is easier said than done.
- ESN rubber is quite fast and a little slippery. It's the opposite of a good rubber and it's amazing that anyone uses it. I can't even imagine what the Chinese are thinking about it, especially when players have it on their forehand. Most people I coach live use ESN.
- From very close to the table, diving on the backhand is probably superior to shoving. I practiced diving in lockdown more than shoving and I'm guessing it's better from close range. I have made a video about it in the upcoming stuff.
- Playing matches is far better for me than training exercises. Exercises are for people who are learning stuff, so there is still a real need for them. I personally prefer to train myself during matches which is the best of both worlds for me.
- I'd be more scared of playing someone who is match tough than someone who has been doing lots of exercises.
- Coaching excessively is very bad for playing motivation.
- If I ever get back to Asia after this virus is deleted, I'm never going to coach live and I'll only do online coaching (unless I take one specific job that's been on the table for a while), but WUTT is the goal.
- I'm still working a lot on a full set of videos for ttEDGE 2020. I'm not going to release any until they are all done.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 02:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango

Does this work?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 07:13 

@BRS @ Brett

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 07:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

Does this work?

Yeah, it works and it's pretty sick.

Some time ago, Harmeet made a conscious decision to stay really close to the table in matches. I think this decision was extremely good because it suits his attributes and differentiates him from a lot of players. Harmeet naturally uses short sharp swings and he sees the ball extremely early. Harmeet is kind of the anti Xu Xin.

Coaching Harmeet at tournaments was one of the best parts of coaching India, and I think I'll eventually miss it. He is the most professional (attitude) player I've ever worked with and I wouldn't be shocked to see him enter the top 35 next year, along with Sathiyan and Kamal, who are already there.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 10:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Does this work?

Some time ago, Harmeet made a conscious decision to stay really close to the table in matches. I think this decision was extremely good because it suits his attributes and differentiates him from a lot of players. Harmeet naturally uses short sharp swings and he sees the ball extremely early. Harmeet is kind of the anti Xu Xin.

Chinese Girl Style! It's the best style!

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 10:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I don't think you are washed up enough yet to really do WUTT right. Maybe when you turn 55. You can do AARP and WUTT the same year.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 18:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Does this work?

Chinese Girl Style! It's the best style!

Yep, in a lot of ways

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 07:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

I have broken all self promises and I'm now coaching too much to focus on playing. I'm even taking a High Performance squad for the National Federation after being free for 2 weeks. On top of this, new people are approaching my every day for coaching and I say yes.

I have however played a total of 70 games with "Mike" so far, running at a win rate of approx 3.5 - 1. I have stuck to my base strategy and I've only made only one exploitative adjustment (which you guys call tactics) which is to attack the forehand very often, especially with my spinniest loops. I'm okay with this because I think it's good for me personally against a decent percentage of players.

Still no video. Booooo.

How did Harmeet get out of not serving correctly? https://youtu.be/HyIroQZabOw?t=34

Perhaps it comes down to like I said before - it's hard to rebuild a serve.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 08:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Still no video. Booooo.

How did Harmeet get out of not serving correctly? https://youtu.be/HyIroQZabOw?t=34

Perhaps it comes down to like I said before - it's hard to rebuild a serve.

I have never spoken to him about serving...

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 08:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Still no video. Booooo.

I agree. I need to get creative here. I played last night and won 6-0 and played relatively well for a delusional WUTT fool.

I still don't think it's a good idea to play some training matches against a student and then post it online. I don't even want to ask "hey, can I post that match online?" I have moved to keeping my tripod with me though.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 10:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You just need to be a bit creative with the editing or camera position.

Also being delusional about your game is the best thing in TT possible.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 12:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
You just need to be a bit creative with the editing or camera position.

Also being delusional about your game is the best thing in TT possible.

I have met a couple of delusional tt players before...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!