OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 23:32 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm going to make a video on what I believe Mizutani's issue is. The shoulder is a joint and it shouldn't be locked. When the best forehand players of all time extend their arm, the shoulder becomes a loose hinge and arm whip is created. Mizutani is a great player, but this forehand isn't what made him. His is doing the right thing with his legs/hips and he is getting a lot of wrist whip.

This forehand sometimes wins points from close range although he can't match the power of the best forehand players from mid distance.

Would it be possible to use Mizutani-style FH close to the table, but extend the arm and unlock the shoulder when further away?
Or would it be better to use the same type of stroke regardless of the distance from the table?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 23:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

From this point:
https://youtu.be/KQfhIeSpVGU?t=721

I like the split step, the knee turn, the arm back, all of that is pretty good but I don't think I like the position of the right foot. If you watch the right foot it actually comes forward from the ready position. I would love to see some advanced AI deep fake video on this same point with the right foot 6 inches back, or 12 inches back. I saw this many times during this match and I think this thing alone would up your forehand.

This is actually one of Ben's better forehands. The most concerning one is when he jumps side/back and hits the ball at the same time. I'll see if I can find one soon

In this one https://youtu.be/KQfhIeSpVGU?t=721, Ben actually jumps into good position and somewhat twists into the ball. This is what I was trying to get him to do in FLL.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 23:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm going to make a video on what I believe Mizutani's issue is. The shoulder is a joint and it shouldn't be locked. When the best forehand players of all time extend their arm, the shoulder becomes a loose hinge and arm whip is created. Mizutani is a great player, but this forehand isn't what made him. His is doing the right thing with his legs/hips and he is getting a lot of wrist whip.

This forehand sometimes wins points from close range although he can't match the power of the best forehand players from mid distance.

Would it be possible to use Mizutani-style FH close to the table, but extend the arm and unlock the shoulder when further away?
Or would it be better to use the same type of stroke regardless of the distance from the table?

Yes. Everyone does this to an extent. Not many players unleash with a straight arm and an unlocked shoulder from very close range. Form Follows Function.

The problem is when it doesn't really change when you move back or have more time. It's absolutely normal in TT to hear conversations about shorter and more compact swings. Sometimes this is right, sometimes this is wrong.

I remember when I lived in a small town for a few years and the police were pulling people over for driving too slowly. I felt like they had a point because those drivers were just as dangerous.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 23:47 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Yes. Everyone does this to an extent. Not many players unleash with a straight arm and an unlocked shoulder from very close range. Form Follows Function.

The problem is when it doesn't really change when you move back or have more time. It's absolutely normal in TT to hear conversations about shorter and more compact swings. Sometimes this is right, sometimes this is wrong.

I remember when I lived in a small town for a few years and the police were pulling people over for driving too slowly. I felt like they had a point because those drivers were just as dangerous.

I honestly think they should be pulling those who drive too slowly. They are indeed dangerous and, more importantly, so very much annoying!

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 23:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So what do you want? Slow driving or fast driving?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:00 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

There's no single answer, I guess. My driving speed depends on the speed limit and also on the speed of the traffic flow in that particular place.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:05 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think the shoulder should also not contribute to upper arm over use, especially when quick recovery is a priority and I think this is where Mizutani shines. Wang Liqin is not really using the shoulder that much either. I think Mizutan has a fine forehand that is unfortunately too much like a T-Rex, but his size is also a factor.

The question is what does one have to focus on to get a shot like Ben's more balanced and have quicker recovery close to the table so he can use the backhand as well. If I showed him someone like Gauzy, it doesn't get the same impact because the message isn't clear. With Mizutani, it is fairly obvious.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
This is actually one of Ben's better forehands.

Ben disagrees. Or I should say, this may be one of my better ones using current technique, but it's still complete s***.

Attempting to Mizutani and averaging out to WLQ (in my dreams, but you know what NL meant) is better in every way.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think the shoulder should also not contribute to upper arm over use, especially when quick recovery is a priority and I think this is where Mizutani shines. Wang Liqin is not really using the shoulder that much either. I think Mizutan has a fine forehand that is unfortunately too much like a T-Rex, but his size is also a factor.

The question is what does one have to focus on to get a shot like Ben's more balanced and have quicker recovery close to the table so he can use the backhand as well. If I showed him someone like Gauzy, it doesn't get the same impact because the message isn't clear. With Mizutani, it is fairly obvious.

You know, I wasn't really talking about Mizutani. I was talking about people I'm coaching and I can't give you the examples. I'm talking about players struggling to get any momentum against slow balls because their arm is super glued onto their body.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Ben disagrees. Or I should say, this may be one of my better ones using current technique, but it's still complete s***.

Then you agree with me :D . Look, I'm not saying it was perfect...I'm just saying it's not your worst type.

It's all about the efficiency of initial move you make.

I have a video coming out in the next 24 hours regarding initial moves in general. There should be a couple of follow up videos over the next few weeks.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

There's no single answer, I guess. My driving speed depends on the speed limit and also on the speed of the traffic flow in that particular place.

You should always drive a little faster when you are getting chased by a rhino...please keep that in mind.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Then you agree with me :D . Look, I'm not saying it was perfect...I'm just saying it's not your worst type.

I do agree with this. In the context of complete s***, some are even a lot worse than this. Damn, it sucks to even think about that.

Brett Clarke wrote:
It's all about the efficiency of initial move you make.

This I don't agree with. It's all about a lot of things, initial move, and how much time your stroke allows you to make one, is only a small piece of it.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:27 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

You should always drive a little faster when you are getting chased by a rhino...please keep that in mind.

No rhinos in this part of the world, and I don't think gators are fast enough to chase a car, but I think I see where you're getting at - we should adjust to the environment.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
I think the shoulder should also not contribute to upper arm over use, especially when quick recovery is a priority

I've heard you mention upper arm overuse a few times, and it's time for me to ask what it means?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

No rhinos in this part of the world, and I don't think gators are fast enough to chase a car, but I think I see where you're getting at - we should adjust to the environment.

Sorry, I have to cover every scenario.

For example, what if a player is only told to play compact, keep his shoulders over his hips, and focus on recovery? Then suddenly he plays a chopper! It's the rhino all over again. The player won't know how to drop his left knee down, bend his torso, or use his core muscles to propel his arm up and forward simultaneously. Then it's on someone like me to teach him/her this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 568  Next