OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 04:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Here's an article about me http://ttfi.org/news/show/944

I'll also be working with the senior team, so you can find me coaching some stars at the upcoming Korean and Australian Opens.

You almost smiled. Looked like a "why am I here and what is...oh crap a camera" moment. I recommend folding and covering at the same time.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:00 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:

I'll also be working with the senior team, so you can find me coaching some stars at the upcoming Korean and Australian Opens.

Congrats but how can you take on this job without remotely fixing fastmover's forehand topspin vs backspin?

Joking obviously. Congrats! :D

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Cool! We will be seeing you on ittv.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You shouldn't swing over the top of every ball, nor should you swing up on every ball. Your body needs to shape your arm for the exact situation you are facing.

I understand what FruitLoop was doing with his advice. He thinks that fastmover needs to rotate better, which will result in swinging forward and over the ball more. He's possibly right and he's prescribing an overcompensation learning technique. It's quite legit if it's understood and accepted by the player.

I'm just saying that you should shape your body and arm together to deal with every individual ball. This will always include a combination of fold/unfold and hip rotation.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Congrats but how can you take on this job without remotely fixing fastmover's forehand topspin vs backspin?

Joking obviously. Congrats! :D

It's 1am in at my new home in Patiala and I'm trying to fix this thread!!! I've read several pages about fastmover's forehand and I've been exposed to multiple animals eating popcorn. I should be spending some time on finding all of Ma Long's weaknesses.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I want to see FruitLoop counter topspinning heavy pushes in a tournament match facing at least equal opposition. Preferably covering the whole table with the forehand. I am especially interested in cases when the ball is dropping and nearly approaching the table level, like in my point.

When the ball drops below the table, you need to fold/unfold like there is no tomorrow. When the ball is higher, you need to turn the hip around with some micro fold/unfold.

Do rabbits actually eat popcorn? I need to know.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:19 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Brett Clarke wrote:

"Junior paddlers" :)

Congrats, Brett!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

You almost smiled. Looked like a "why am I here and what is...oh crap a camera" moment. I recommend folding and covering at the same time.

I was smiling with my eyes! Take a closer look please.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:30 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Brett Clarke wrote:
You shouldn't swing over the top of every ball, nor should you swing up on every ball. Your body needs to shape your arm for the exact situation you are facing.

I understand what FruitLoop was doing with his advice. He thinks that fastmover needs to rotate better, which will result in swinging forward and over the ball more. He's possibly right and he's prescribing an overcompensation learning technique. It's quite legit if it's understood and accepted by the player.

I'm just saying that you should shape your body and arm together to deal with every individual ball. This will always include a combination of fold/unfold and hip rotation.

Definitely agreed! I just wanted to see the result because I think the way he is thinking about it is hindering him and the result of trying my suggestion may be a little revelatory for him. It might not work of course and what NL says about understanding the meaning of words on a page can be very difficult in these situations is definitely true.

I was reminded of your LTT skype video with Ben where he did backhands vs robot backspin. Similar idea!

Last edited by FruitLoop on 15 Jun 2019, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:34 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Congratulations Brett.

It will be fascinating seeing the results of your coaching ideas on what is a really strong upcoming table tennis nation. Their top juniors are bound to be very very strong.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:46 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
FruitLoop wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Definitely agreed! I just wanted to see the result because I think the way he is thinking about it is hindering him and the result of trying my suggestion may be a little revelatory for him. It might not work of course and what NL says about understanding the meaning of words on a page can be very difficult in these situations is definitely true.

Yes. Swinging over a ball is Relative. One of my students thought he was looping backspin by swing on top of the ball and I asked him to literally do that and it always went into the net. No one hits the top of the ball vs heavy backspin.

But I am a believer that you should feel as if you are coming forward and over the ball especially if you want to keep the ball low. You can add more arc if necessary. But this is all talking. Someone might call what I described as swinging forward a vertical stroke. But fastmover is clearly a very logical guy so we need to communicate to him in very specific language. Pgpg or ziv can translate to Russian? Brett to Rabbit-Latin? BRS to Giraffe?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:53 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I think fastmover understands pictures well. Someone has to draw another picture for him.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 05:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
I should be spending some time on finding all of Ma Long's weaknesses.

Watching Jeoung Youngsik play...he did do 1 thing that wasn't a disaster. He would get a backhand crosscourt and then he would place the next backhand to the pocket. Ma Long didn't deal with this amazingly. Some of it comes because Ma Long doesn't seem to want to go down the line with a backhand.

One example: https://youtu.be/J70oAq7qt1I?t=179

CLICK THE LINK NOT THE PICTURE.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 09:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I should be spending some time on finding all of Ma Long's weaknesses.

Watching Jeoung Youngsik play...he did do 1 thing that wasn't a disaster. He would get a backhand crosscourt and then he would place the next backhand to the pocket. Ma Long didn't deal with this amazingly. Some of it comes because Ma Long doesn't seem to want to go down the line with a backhand.

One example: https://youtu.be/J70oAq7qt1I?t=179

CLICK THE LINK NOT THE PICTURE.

If you want to seriously change the orbit of Jupiter, at some stage, you'll need to introduce a very big object.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 09:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
I think fastmover understands pictures well. Someone has to draw another picture for him.

Done!

Note the right foot placement and the new finishing position. That's what everyone has been getting at for the past week. Over 500 combined man hours have been spent on this topic and it could have all been explained in another fastmover drawing. Sorry it took so long to get this finished.

Attachment:
fastmover forehand.png
fastmover forehand.png [ 6.62 KiB | Viewed 500 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 568  Next