OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 05 May 2024, 11:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 12:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:

All of these have the circular motion about the elbow, with the twisting upper arm, rather than the longer "straight elbow" finish. Even Ma Long vs. backspin. I guess it's something I'll have to try once this virus thing is over. Maybe get the iPong out again.. hopefully the batteries are still good. Main problem is finding a table to set it up.

Iskandar

Well this is against backspin and doesn't really match what 2020 03 is showing us. Against backspin of course one has to lift the ball, but again Ma Long doesn't use a whole lot of wrist there.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 13:11 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
iskandar taib wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Turns out Ovtcharov now plays with Dignics 09C on his forehand and Dignics 05 on his backhand. So he's turned Chinese? :lol:

(No one else in the top 200 has switched to Dignics, at least not on this web site:)

https://tabletennis.guide/goods.php?sec ... popularity

Iskandar

I'm not going to mention names, but there are a lot of Europeans who have wanted more Chinese-like rubber for a long time.

I suppose that suggests the question - why don't more of them actually use Chinese rubbers in the first place? It's not like you can't get them. Even "National H3" is available on AliExpress, if you're playing for a national team surely your connections can get a steady supply? Maybe it's the boosting part of it they don't want to get into?

About straightening elbows.. I've been going back to see if I can figure it out. Three more videos from the thread:

All of these have the circular motion about the elbow, with the twisting upper arm, rather than the longer "straight elbow" finish. Even Ma Long vs. backspin. I guess it's something I'll have to try once this virus thing is over. Maybe get the iPong out again.. hopefully the batteries are still good. Main problem is finding a table to set it up.

Iskandar

Let's look at this video Iskandar. I don't know how to take the snapshot gifs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qn8Dx0FIFs

Even Brett's shove has circular motion around the elbow. You can have both circular motion around the elbow and a straightening of the arm - they aren't mutually exclusive. Look at the Sun Yingsha stroke for example. Even Ma Long. It is all a matter of degree, though I do agree with Russ that the arm straightening is more effective for fast countertopspin.

Given how the racket starts and how the racket finishes, the arm does have to turn (which is why I have always said that people focusing on the wrist when it comes to backhand topspin are wasting their time). The circular rotation about the elbow with the twisting upper arm starting with a somewhat closed racket pointing towards you and the straightening (or keeping it a bit more bent) while rotating the arm forward is the real key to me.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 14:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

wilkinru wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Well this is against backspin and doesn't really match what 2020 03 is showing us. Against backspin of course one has to lift the ball, but again Ma Long doesn't use a whole lot of wrist there.

The first two videos were against topspin, only the Ma Long video was against backspin. The earlier Harimoto clip was against topspin also.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 14:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

NextLevel wrote:
Let's look at this video Iskandar. I don't know how to take the snapshot gifs.

Even Brett's shove has circular motion around the elbow. You can have both circular motion around the elbow and a straightening of the arm - they aren't mutually exclusive. Look at the Sun Yingsha stroke for example. Even Ma Long. It is all a matter of degree, though I do agree with Russ that the arm straightening is more effective for fast countertopspin.

Given how the racket starts and how the racket finishes, the arm does have to turn (which is why I have always said that people focusing on the wrist when it comes to backhand topspin are wasting their time). The circular rotation about the elbow with the twisting upper arm starting with a somewhat closed racket pointing towards you and the straightening (or keeping it a bit more bent) while rotating the arm forward is the real key to me.

Ah.. I see that he is straigtening the elbow a lot more than Harimoto does (and some of the others do).

In any case I think I'll have to work on the circular rotation bit. I'm not even sure what I've been doing all this while, since I haven't been able to get out and practice. Time to start taking videos (I've been telling myself to do that for a long time, though.. :lol: ). In any case, my backhand is a lot better than it was 2-3 years ago (when I was missing about 50% of them).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 15:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

The first two videos were against topspin, only the Ma Long video was against backspin. The earlier Harimoto clip was against topspin also.

Iskandar

"BH Against Under" right in the title of the first video.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 15:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
iskandar taib wrote:
Turns out Ovtcharov now plays with Dignics 09C on his forehand and Dignics 05 on his backhand. So he's turned Chinese? :lol:

(No one else in the top 200 has switched to Dignics, at least not on this web site:)

https://tabletennis.guide/goods.php?sec ... popularity

Iskandar

I think there were rumors a couple of years ago that Dima used H3. There were pictures of a blue sponged rubber on his blade and he started twiddling for smashing high balls like the Chinese do.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 16:21 

Brett Clarke wrote:
I spoke to an Olympic boxing coach recently. We talked a lot about training in our respective sports and I grilled him pretty hard on the advantages/disadvantages of using a heavy bag (punching bag) to train boxing. I said that bags don't hit back, so is there any benefit in using one? I also asked about shadow-boxing and the speed bag.

A heavy bag in boxing is the equivalent to a robot in TT, or something like it. The coach talked about using a bag to improving technique and power as part of a balanced training plan. Clearly, the bag is only one part of boxing training but, if used right, it can contribute to overall performance. He said that it is good to work on punching technique without the distraction of someone punching back at you.

This reminds me of a quote by Mike Tyson: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!"

I think the coach is right. Yesterday, I practiced using a robot for the first time and it helped me improve my BH shove technique. When I tried that with one of my friends previously, I automatically reverted to a frisbee-throwing type of arm/wrist movement.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 16:29 

Brett Clarke wrote:
I see the body as the engine for each shot. The engine is the force behind the shot. I'd say the largest percentage of errors that club players make are body-related by far. Solving body issues can often solve any arm issues because the force created has a positive impact on the direction.

There are times that this all doesn't work out, as per Russ's original shove attempts. A member also sent me a bunch of videos today and he got the body movement perfect on the fh topspin against backspin. The problem was he was swinging across himself so I pointed that out. I actually asked him to watch LTT07 and try to get the arm triangle shape. This is the first time I've direct someone to watch that video in a long time. It's very rare that someone gets the fh body movement right against backspin and doesn't get the arm right, but that's what happened. The member sometimes post here and he can talk about it if he wants.

So what is more important, the body or the arm? What is more important, the engine of the plane or the wing? The plane ultimate needs both to fly.

Here is the video that Brett mentioned. I think I crossed the midline when I tried to put too much power and overused the arm (don't remember really). This morning, I did some shadowswings. When I focus on the hips and let the arm "swing" freely, this issue doesn't arise.

https://youtu.be/hvlFDm3oH_c

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 17:55 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I see the body as the engine for each shot. The engine is the force behind the shot. I'd say the largest percentage of errors that club players make are body-related by far. Solving body issues can often solve any arm issues because the force created has a positive impact on the direction.

There are times that this all doesn't work out, as per Russ's original shove attempts. A member also sent me a bunch of videos today and he got the body movement perfect on the fh topspin against backspin. The problem was he was swinging across himself so I pointed that out. I actually asked him to watch LTT07 and try to get the arm triangle shape. This is the first time I've direct someone to watch that video in a long time. It's very rare that someone gets the fh body movement right against backspin and doesn't get the arm right, but that's what happened. The member sometimes post here and he can talk about it if he wants.

So what is more important, the body or the arm? What is more important, the engine of the plane or the wing? The plane ultimate needs both to fly.

Here is the video that Brett mentioned. I think I crossed the midline when I tried to put too much power and overused the arm (don't remember really). This morning, I did some shadowswings. When I focus on the hips and let the arm "swing" freely, this issue doesn't arise.

Thanks chopblock. This is the exact video that you sent to Brett that he commented on or this is your fix?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Last edited by NextLevel on 02 Apr 2020, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 17:59 

NextLevel wrote:

Thanks chopblock. This is the exact video that you sent to Brett that he commented on or this is your fix?

It's the video I sent him yesterday. Didn't have a chance to practice since then.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 18:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

chopblock wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

It's the video I sent him yesterday. Didn't have a chance to practice since then.

Thanks for posting it. I am really impressed by it and I also see why Brett recommends a swing adjustment. After seeing it, I wonder what your regular forehand topspin against block looks like.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 23:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

The foot work and waiting for the ball to come into the strike zone looks excellent. Body position and all of that look perfect too. I can also see why Brett's comments were there. There's a bigger stroke that wins points waiting to be unleashed. At this point it looks like a shot that will go on the table in a match.

It also makes me think about the question "So what is more important, the body or the arm?". I'm going to say the body. Sure if the arm is removed, it wont work. However good body movement can make up for a lot of weaker arm movement. Stronger arm movement and weak body movement is what we see all the time at the club and in general it's a disaster.

The more I think about it most people at clubs have nothing desirable, arm or body. lol

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 03:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

the feet?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 03:59 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
The perfect shove backhand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuI3kKJSUUU&t=55

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 04:03 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

ziv wrote:

It is funny you bring that video up because I have friends who believed very strongly that the modern chinese backhand was in part modeled after penhold backhand movements.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441 ... 568  Next