OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 13:31 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I asked Brett a few questions over the last 2 lessons and here are some of his answers as best I can remember.

All the following points needs to occur as they are all interlinked. (my interpretation)

Most club players do not use the correct body mechanics to get pro power.

If you use no drift (or even anti drift for serves) for most shots this can add 10 to 20 percent to spin and power. (I assume for the slower balls)

In ideal conditions there should be a lag between body going forward first and arm going forward in just about all shots.

Fast racket speed going back into a fast whip pattern as the body is going forward is a big key. (this ties into a no drift backswing first before a fast backswing whip action)

Power comes from the ground. If you do not start with pushing off with the legs to rotate for the forehand or rise from the squat in the backhand you are leaving a lot of power on the table.

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 15:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Now I'm going to have to go back several pages to figure out what "drift" is.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 20:28 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Dawei 388d1 ox/ BT ox???
I got an excellent coach now.The key to a decent topspin is ,in my opinion , the rotation of the body, the rotation of the shoulder- you have to face the ball rotating the body,rotating the shoulder; the timing for the ball- do not approach the ball with your hands,which is precisely what most players do at an amateur level- , the footwork- move sideways and flexing- and to do this consistently at any age is so difficult, hence lots of hours in training sessions .

The Chinese being the best in the world, not only do they have the best coaches but they also train more than the rest of the world.This is the key to the Chinese success.Also, the Chinese discipline for children is a bonus.Let´s say a parent chooses tt for their child as he / she is so enthusiastic .If you impose the Chinese discipline for the European children, most of them will stop playing.

We will all die at some point and the Chinese will continue to dominate tt.The Japanese seem to be getting very close but not close enough yet .

A pro in Europe usually trains in 2 sessions per day. Can you guess how many sessions do the Chinese have? try to do some research, you will be amazed.The Chinese dream about tt,have breakfast with tt, have lunch with tt, have dinner with tt 24/7.The same thing when you wanted to chat up your wife, you did everything possible to get her :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 16 May 2021, 12:35 

Played an U2000 event after long long time:

below are some matches sucks I lost to No 3. he had short pips i couldn’t unadjust to

https://youtu.be/f2FUGf5hroY

https://youtu.be/qtLBD2qi_mE

https://youtu.be/xFrFL3AeEz0

PostPosted: 16 May 2021, 16:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
big d wrote:

below are some matches sucks I lost to No 3. he had short pips i couldn’t unadjust to

Great to see you back big d! Against guy No. 3 I would try to repeat the point 6:43 over and over and see what happens. At least that is my usual game plan against a tricky rubber.

[Disclaimer: not trying to start a tactics debate, just sharing an opinion]

PostPosted: 16 May 2021, 16:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:

Hey Dan, I think you played very decently in all of the matches.

I liked that you went after all of your opponent's long and half long serves. Sometimes I felt that you tried to hit the opponent's serve too hard/low, but maybe that's just because you missed a few into the net. If they had all gone on, I'd probably say that taking the serves early with strong and low topspin is the way to go. If you are hitting to many serves into the net, loop them higher to build some confidence.

Your rally shots look really good. Your forehand looks better than it did a few months ago when you sent me some stuff

When you play against these pimple type players, it's important to serve a lot short to the forehand. This is true against all players, though especially against the pimple backhand guys. It's also important to change the position of your attacks and rally shots. Playing too many balls to the backhand is a trap and a good mix is generally the best option. It's also wrong to just play every ball to the forehand because they will adapt and this is why I said that mixing the position is best. Pimple backhand players generally hope you play every ball to the backhand and they don't want to be guessing.

Dan, your serve can be a lot better. Watch the videos in the 2021 series and have a good think about it. Your reverse serve is currently your best serve imo because it works and it's the only one where your backswing is going against your body weight. It's also the only serve that wins you outright points at this stage. Your backswing must go against a forward step/fold on your regular pendulum serve. I'm happy to do some live sessions with you to work on this. You know how to contact me.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 04:28 

Thanks a whole lot for taking the time to comment. Will definitely work on the anti lag for pendulum serve.

This is a match from u2100 that was held today. Dude also had short pips on the bh.

https://youtu.be/ZcEanKIQ99s

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 07:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Richfs wrote:
Pongalong wrote:
Brett, I'm puzzled by what you said a month ago about you always serving at maximum spin. Wouldn't that remove your disguise of the amount of spin? As long as the opponent could tell what direction the spin was i.e. backspin versus topspin, they would quickly learn the strength of your spin (for each different type of serve).

I feel like you don't have to disguise the amount of spin unless you intend to serve no spin. It's always more scary to return a loaded serve than a serve with less spin. Even if they can tell the spin, it's better to have it loaded with spin as they then might accidentally push long or pop it up. I also think it's easier to read serves with less spin, the flight path and the serve motion is easier to read as you'd have to intentionally make a slower swing for weaker spin. When it all happens very quickly it's more difficult to pick up the amount and type of spin, then the "disguise" happens as a biproduct of efficient serve mechanics. It seems counterproductive to do the opposite, except for a no spin serve, but then I think it's more about keeping the swing as fast/similar but with a flatter contact.

Brett may have mentioned this stuff before, maybe he has some more/other thoughts on this.

I like this response by Rich.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 07:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Some humor to revitalize things a bit. It is about tennis, but I think anyone who worked with coaches in TT can relate :)

In the meanwhile, I am coming back to the sport slowly after getting a vaccine, maybe will post some vids later.

You brush the ball too much

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 08:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
I am fortunate having a 2 hour lesson with Brett every week thanks to the virus! He is stuck in Australia. I thought I might post some things we cover in my training as it might be of interest to readers of ttedge.

I expect everyone has the concept of drift, no drift and anti drift in regards to the service motion down pat by now. This concept has really improved my serve spin level 100%. The idea is to delay the backswing as long as possible in the serve so you have high racket speed going back into the whip pattern as the body is going in the opposite direction. This creates a fast whip action leading to a high forward racket speed.

In training we have been using this concept in normal shots. I expect most players have not heard of this concept applying to normal shots. Its like you are making normal shots more serve like with a resultant high racket speed.

The idea is that the body moves first, the bat is still going back so there is a delay in the arm going forward in regards to body action

The body action is really the key to the fast whip action.

Lets take the long fast push against short backspin as an example. You start to step forward for the stroke. You hold the racket out in front of you as long as possible. (no drift). As the body is going forward you do a fast backswing and a quality whip action. You hit the ball as the front foot hits the ground.

This is pretty much exactly the same leg and body action as the backspin serve. When I get the motion correct the feeling on the ball contact on the racket is sort of heavy like. Brett commented on this feeling of the racket contact he gets in his serves too.

The result is a fast very heavy spin shot that is difficult to open up against and most club players push it into the net.

So this delay in the first part of the backswing can be used for the forehand and backhand open up against a slower long push. You delay the backswing until the last moment, then do a fast backswing against the opposite direction of the body motion for a high whip action.

So in training I say to myself, slow backswing, then fast whip.

This seems to create more time to see the balls motion as it comes to you as the whip part of the stroke is very fast so it is creating more time to see the ball. Being slow in the first part of the backswing could also help in being more relaxed in the arm.

If you receive a fast ball, you do not have time to delay but you still have trained a fast backswing whip action. You still can do a quality shot against fast balls.

In my experience, adding this concept to my open up topspin shots raises the quality of the shot about 20 percent. If I have time, against block on my forehand topspin, I try to delay the backswing until the last moment too.

I hope the above is of interest.

This is a good explanation of a relatively difficult concept. I'm going to film some of this stuff tomorrow, I hope. It shouldn't make a lot of sense in written form.

As I step forward into the push, my backswing goes against the step. As I stamp forward into my serve, my backswing goes against my stamp. As I turn my hip into the ball on my fh topspin, I finally straighten my arm or wrist back. As I straighten my legs on the backhand topspin, I quickly do a backswing. As I step across to play a backhand, the backswing goes again my step.

Confusing stuff, right?

As Timo turns his left hip into his forehand topspin, his wrist flexes back against the momentum of the twist https://youtu.be/j19XOYZsli8?t=36 . The wrist/racket is moving back as the body is twisting forward. His forehand would be terrible without this phenomenon occurring because the swing is "too short". The backswing on my serve is also "too short". If you can see Timo's wrist/racket flexing back against the body's forward twist and understand how this creates racket head speed, then you can solve how to get racket head speed on most shots, including the serve.

As Federer turns his right hip into the ball, the wrist/racket flexes back against the hip twist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFY460oquXw . If you didn't do this in tennis, you'd be an amateur and you'd probably hurt your arm and shoulder.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 08:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
I got this interesting tip direct from Brett the other day in training.

When you are doing a backhand topspin against block using the squat and rise method the bat should feel heavy in your hand at one point in the backswing.

I think this is due to the rise of the body as the bat is still going back in the backswing before the forward whip action. So the body and bat are going in somewhat opposite directions before the whip leading to the bat feeling heavy.

I think you need an explosive move out to the squat position to get this feeling.

If I got the explanation of this heavy feeling incorrect maybe brett can correct me.

If your body is going up and your racket is going down, your racket will feel heavy.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 08:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Let's talk about technique. Say somebody serves a long heavy kicking side/top ball and I try to loop it with my forehand. How should I use my body to play a correct forehand?

I guess it should be similar to a forehand counter topspin, but there should be extra adjustments: a service usually does not bounce as high as a regular ball and it usually has a ton of sidespin on it. Any ideas?

The more "energy" the ball has (spin and speed), the less you have to do.

This is a bs theory in some ways but I'm using it this time. It's a good starting point in many ways even though I'm putting in the half-truth basket.

I do a lot of kicking serves and good opponents tend to counter it by using shorter swings and small body movements. They also tend to take the ball shortly after the bounce to avoid the side/forward kick.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 08:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
I asked Brett a few questions over the last 2 lessons and here are some of his answers as best I can remember.

All the following points needs to occur as they are all interlinked. (my interpretation)

Most club players do not use the correct body mechanics to get pro power.

If you use no drift (or even anti drift for serves) for most shots this can add 10 to 20 percent to spin and power. (I assume for the slower balls)

In ideal conditions there should be a lag between body going forward first and arm going forward in just about all shots.

Fast racket speed going back into a fast whip pattern as the body is going forward is a big key. (this ties into a no drift backswing first before a fast backswing whip action)

Power comes from the ground. If you do not start with pushing off with the legs to rotate for the forehand or rise from the squat in the backhand you are leaving a lot of power on the table.

As Timo Boll pushes the hell out of the earth with his left leg, his body quickly comes up and backwards (Yes, backwards). But as this push drives his body up/back, his wrist/racket continues to go down for a while directly against the body movement https://youtu.be/dL68m34--ng?t=106 Then the racket has to play catch up and this is the definition of whip. The racket head speed created is enormous and that's where the spin comes from. He isn't the world strongest man or something. It's more like a magic trick with body and hand timing.

Timo's explanation of where the spin comes from differs from mine, if you watch the entire video.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 09:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

charmander defender wrote:
I got an excellent coach now.The key to a decent topspin is ,in my opinion , the rotation of the body, the rotation of the shoulder- you have to face the ball rotating the body,rotating the shoulder; the timing for the ball- do not approach the ball with your hands,which is precisely what most players do at an amateur level- , the footwork- move sideways and flexing- and to do this consistently at any age is so difficult, hence lots of hours in training sessions .

The Chinese being the best in the world, not only do they have the best coaches but they also train more than the rest of the world.This is the key to the Chinese success.Also, the Chinese discipline for children is a bonus.Let´s say a parent chooses tt for their child as he / she is so enthusiastic .If you impose the Chinese discipline for the European children, most of them will stop playing.

We will all die at some point and the Chinese will continue to dominate tt.The Japanese seem to be getting very close but not close enough yet .

A pro in Europe usually trains in 2 sessions per day. Can you guess how many sessions do the Chinese have? try to do some research, you will be amazed.The Chinese dream about tt,have breakfast with tt, have lunch with tt, have dinner with tt 24/7.The same thing when you wanted to chat up your wife, you did everything possible to get her :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's great that you are happy with your coach charmander. TT is much more interesting when you are working on your game.

Someone significant in tt asked me an interesting question the other day - If you removed every coach from China, what would happen to level of China? Would they still be the best? The guy wasn't really asking me a question, rather he wanted to start a conversation to discuss his opinion and theories.

If you removed every cricket coach in India, would they start losing to Fiji? If you removed every basketball coach in the USA, would they start losing to Indonesia, Vietnam & Cambodia? If you removed every AFL coach in Australia, would we start losing to PNG?

China has 30 million TT players and Australia has 7000. Germany has 700,000, France 300,000. My point is that the size of the pyramid is a significant and underrated factor. Sweden has 10,000 players when they were beating China and I find that very interesting.

I believe that people sometimes overrated the importance of coaches, though there is such a thing as a decent coach.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 19:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you think about it... If China has 30 million TT players (I'd assume these would be serious to semi-serious enthusiasts, club-attending serious players, school club players, company league players, etc. but not the equivalent of American "basement players"), that's still not that many people compared to the 1.4 billion population. 30/1400 = about two percent of the population. So not "everyone in China plays table tennis" - it's probably not even the most popular spectator sport (I'll bet soccer and basketball - the NBA is HUGE in China - are way bigger). Yet, that's a LOT of players - you have 30 million people shelling out money for blades and rubbers, coaching, club fees, etc., which gives some idea of how many sheets even a minor company such as 729 would sell in a year. To make it to the top of the pyramid in China would mean you have to be very, very good indeed.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531 ... 568  Next