OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 12:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Welp I got sick for like a month and finally played today. Lots and lots of training stays. My timing is a little off but wasn't really that bad. I'm super excited to get past this covid stuff now that I'm mostly work from home. Covid is going to transform my life for the better. Yeah so i need some training videos to get me going again too...

Ttedge videos even rehashed really get me excited to practice.

Great to hear that you're back Russ.

I'm working on the rehashed videos as I write.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 08:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

There are lots of short new videos on ttEDGE.com in the ttEDGE 2021 series.

The aim of the series is to simplify the shots and get members to engage in online coach which involves sending me videos. Watch the "Invitation" video for clarification https://ttedge.com/videos/2021-00-ttedg ... invitation

There will be about 30 videos or so in this series. There are 15 already uploaded, as I write, and there will be 4 more uploaded today. I'll also be adding to the PTTP series with some of my own points played.

The quality of the footage is higher than usual (60fps) and I feel that the player demonstrating the shots is one of the best technicians in Australia.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 16:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'm going to be moving to the Gold Coast this upcoming weekend. I'll be available to do 5 hours of private coaching per week. Someone from ttEDGE/OOAK has already snapped up 2 hours per week, so there are just 3 hours left. PM me if you are interested. I'm going to take the first people to contact me.

I'm also running a camp on the Sunshine Coast on March 13 & 14. Here's some info https://www.facebook.com/HWATTAustralia ... 2630831192

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 23:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Some of those place nicknames are the same as Florida, Treasure Coast, Gold Coast, Space Coast. Does Australia have a Redneck Riviera, or is that only in America?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 01:16 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
With my current situation, I am in semi-retirement and gained 20 lbs.

In December, I tried to play, I got beaten by former students (who admittedly have improved) and estimated my level at borderline 1900. The good news though is that if I train even two or three hours with a good player, I regain like 1980-2020 capabilities fairly quickly against familiar opponents.

Completely rethinking my playing style (the only non-negotiable is double inverted on a Mazunov) to try to take the ball earlier (simply to commit to my original dream while my playing level is in the toilet, since it won't feel as bad losing with a new style from that point). But building anything new playing once a week to once a month is a stretch.

Hope everyone is doing well - looks like this will be a lost Olympics with all the implications for the record books that entails. Please stay safe from corona - happy to hear you are all doing reasonably well (and if you aren't, good luck and best wishes).

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 01:32 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
So I just looked at some of the new videos. Already pretty happy with the distinctions between the dive, topspin and counterhit. I suspect one could call the dive a close to the table backhand countertopspin in a sense.

In any case, I will probably be showing some of these to students in an alternate reality where I get to coach again. Thanks, Brett.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 08:45 

Brett Clarke wrote:

The aim of the series is to simplify the shots and get members to engage in online coach which involves sending me videos. Watch the "Invitation" video for clarification https://ttedge.com/videos/2021-00-ttedg ... invitation

There will be about 30 videos or so in this series. There are 15 already uploaded, as I write, and there will be 4 more uploaded today. I'll also be adding to the PTTP series with some of my own points played.

The quality of the footage is higher than usual (60fps) and I feel that the player demonstrating the shots is one of the best technicians in Australia.

Thanks so much for this post, Brett. I didn't realise you've uploaded so many videos already! I've been watching this thread waiting for the new videos post!

I also haven't been able to play much recently. I feel like my level has dropped quite a bit, but I'm still trying to play at least once a week.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 15:08 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Yep I grabbed 2 hours of coaching a week from Brett. Its a 1 hour and 40 minute drive but I feel it is worth every minute! :rofl:

I also did a level one coaching course. They say teaching is a great way to learn yourself so we will see.

Unfortunately I know more about technique (thanks Brett) than the ability to fully put it into practice in a match situation!! I just figure I can do great shadow swings and have good form against the robot. I just will not let anyone see my matches! :sweat:

In the coaching coarse the feedback from a presentation I did was that I was too technical. Funny hey.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 15:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Some of those place nicknames are the same as Florida, Treasure Coast, Gold Coast, Space Coast. Does Australia have a Redneck Riviera, or is that only in America?

We don't really use the term "Redneck" but I'm sure there is an equivalent.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 15:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
So I just looked at some of the new videos. Already pretty happy with the distinctions between the dive, topspin and counterhit. I suspect one could call the dive a close to the table backhand countertopspin in a sense.

In any case, I will probably be showing some of these to students in an alternate reality where I get to coach again. Thanks, Brett.

You'll be back Laj, no matter what. It's hard to find someone who is as passionate about tt.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 15:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
With my current situation, I am in semi-retirement and gained 20 lbs.

In December, I tried to play, I got beaten by former students (who admittedly have improved) and estimated my level at borderline 1900. The good news though is that if I train even two or three hours with a good player, I regain like 1980-2020 capabilities fairly quickly against familiar opponents.

Completely rethinking my playing style (the only non-negotiable is double inverted on a Mazunov) to try to take the ball earlier (simply to commit to my original dream while my playing level is in the toilet, since it won't feel as bad losing with a new style from that point). But building anything new playing once a week to once a month is a stretch.

Hope everyone is doing well - looks like this will be a lost Olympics with all the implications for the record books that entails. Please stay safe from corona - happy to hear you are all doing reasonably well (and if you aren't, good luck and best wishes).

Yeah, covid has really hurt everything. We are lucky in Australia to have zero daily cases, but it's still impossible to travel abroad and live completely normally.

Good luck to everyone and let's hope a vaccine will help to finish this mess.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 15:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Yep I grabbed 2 hours of coaching a week from Brett. Its a 1 hour and 40 minute drive but I feel it is worth every minute! :rofl:

You sure did Maurice. I think you may have encouraged your friends as well because I'm now down to 1 hour of available time and I haven't even hopped on the plane yet.

Last edited by Brett Clarke on 29 Jan 2021, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 15:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Thanks so much for this post, Brett. I didn't realise you've uploaded so many videos already! I've been watching this thread waiting for the new videos post!

I also haven't been able to play much recently. I feel like my level has dropped quite a bit, but I'm still trying to play at least once a week.

Hope you like the videos Mick. My inbox is waiting for you to resume your training.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 16:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Over the next couple of weeks, I plan to upload another 5-10 videos.

I have a concept I call "anti drift" and I've mentioned it in a previous post. It's a serving concept that I came to properly understand about 6 months ago. Many top players incidentally use anti drift, but most players/coaches haven't really made all the connections, or any, in most instances. I worked it out because I've failed to teach many international players how to serve better because I too lacked a full understanding of perfect serve mechanics. Actually, I lacked the knowledge of how to induce perfect serve mechanics, even though I almost knew the result I wanted.

Anti drift is a tool to teach you how to serve better because it incidentally puts you on the right track. You can be on the right track without anti drift, though it's all too rare. It's close to impossible to be on the wrong track whilst using anti drift, and that's where the concept is gold.

Below is a video of Timo Boll doing what I'd call a perfect serve. He's using anti drift to assist this serve, but his serve is generally perfect without anti drift. I will explain all of this in a video, but for now, you can try to work it out. You may work out what anti drift is, however, I don't think many will work out exactly how it incidentally helps.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 19:53 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Is anti drift where he moves the bat forward before the backswing? This could help ball contact timing that allows a longer and faster backswing allowing a better whip action???

Yep I did mention you were coaching to 2 local players!!! I realize now this is a bad mistake as I did have an ambition to beat one of these players sometime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!