OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 10:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Beware of taking the joy out of playing with dangerous expectations.

One of the wisest pieces of advice ever written on any tt forum...

https://youtu.be/a1Zxl98tGZk?t=342 (start at this time)

replace game with "table tennis". replace money/loot/skins with ratings.

Great stuff.

Here's a video with the "all too familiar" outcome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exydL-IIpCU

Replace singing with tt. Replace going to The USA with China/Europe.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 10:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
We forgot to do that editing class in FL.

Well for people with time to waste...

Princeton Pong June 2019 Laj: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -R0L8DRotV

My last tournament at Princeton where I usually struggle. This time I was top seed in U2000 and defended my seeding. I didn't record any matches before the semis. These are the semis and the finals. I think in the finals I saved the best shot for last.

And no, I didn't use my torso properly especially on serves, I didn't hip clap and I served long no spin to the pip because it was working. I am ashamed of my play and happy with my win. Winning is hard these days. But I don't think I could played without the confidence and the feeling of the training.

My unrecorded matches were better because I can only remember thunderous shots and can't peruse them for technical issues. More seriously, I went down 0-2 to a 1500 penholder before I came back. Then I beat the finalist 3-0 (thanks to pgpg for all the Grass Dtecs LP practice), played a kid in the quarters who was near tears that all his long serves were being looped at him (and ended up giving up a game out of pity/annoyance), won the semis (video above) vs a guy who I hadn't beaten before though he has gone rusty while I have trained since I last played him, and then won the rematch with the guy in my group in the final (again thanks to pgpg for the DTecs training).

Using BRS metrics, this was really an U1850 win as none of my opponents were rated over 1850 (though the semi-finalist and finalists have easily beaten players over 2000 before). But I think I will stick to the BRS criteria.

Congrats on your U1850 win, NL!

PS: OH and I forgot to mention that I had flu like symptoms. So add 50 pts for that. Congrats to me on the U1900 win.

Very impressive Laj!

It was solid to beat Bruce Lee dude in the final after losing the first game.

You've found your forehand.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 18:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
I also wonder what Brett thinks about two pivots in a row starting from 12:57.

They are half way towards being great. You need to do the double-fold in a more defined way and that should propel your racket over your head in a circle. Your circle is way too small because you body doesn't move enough.

For those of you wondering what this all means, watch LTT112.

Ok. I am currently in the process of finding a local to baptize into the TTEdge religion and do some DTT29.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 18:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
How can you improve your return now? If those serves are really short, then just tap them back short and prove it. If you can't, they are probably long.

I think they are mostly long and it is pretty much obvious in slow-mo. I just struggle to read the spin, and in those cases I try to push long or chop them. My reading abilities should improve over time as I will get a lot of exposure in the next 6 months.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 08:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

With these discussions of 20%/80% and nationals coming up for me....I've been thinking what I could do to improve my point expectation in the next few weeks.

What parts of your game do you think you could improve in a month that would make a difference in many of your matches?

I'll keep my answer to one item: Improve my backhand against backspin consistency. I tend to make a lot of errors on this shot even though it is technically sound. My guess is at my levelish (+-200 pts) that I get in around 60% yet win the point outright 3/4ths of the time. (I've been tracking it for the last week in practice matches). If I could get closer to 80% in and win outright a bit more (say 4/5) then that should improve my point outcome by 1 or 2 per game and sometimes much more, depending on the usual variables (usually the other player). It's a big ask to improve consistency and quality and maybe it isn't possible to do that much in a month but I'm sure it's possible to improve those numbers some.

I may have lower hanging fruit but I'm too dumb to see that fruit right now.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 12:09 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
With these discussions of 20%/80% and nationals coming up for me....I've been thinking what I could do to improve my point expectation in the next few weeks.

What parts of your game do you think you could improve in a month that would make a difference in many of your matches?

I'll keep my answer to one item: Improve my backhand against backspin consistency. I tend to make a lot of errors on this shot even though it is technically sound. My guess is at my levelish (+-200 pts) that I get in around 60% yet win the point outright 3/4ths of the time. (I've been tracking it for the last week in practice matches). If I could get closer to 80% in and win outright a bit more (say 4/5) then that should improve my point outcome by 1 or 2 per game and sometimes much more, depending on the usual variables (usually the other player). It's a big ask to improve consistency and quality and maybe it isn't possible to do that much in a month but I'm sure it's possible to improve those numbers some.

The issue with the backhand topspin in general is that it has a limited strike zone unless you play it tennis style like some Europeans like Karakasevic do. Alternatively you have to be adept at moving your strike zone (bowing and using footwork). Also there is a finishing fold of the forearm and upper body that is required if the spin is lighter than expected (which is why many players use circular technique for balls they can't read). This fold to bring the ball down is easier to do on the forehand. Otherwise you are mostly going to mistime the ball or hit it long unless you read the push really well.

All this is to say that the backhand topspin in general is a very delicate stroke and it takes time to read the ball well enough to adapt to it. Your stroke looks fine but I suspect you would need to practice against various spins while trying to perform roughly the same loop to make it more consistent. Then add in random placement to the backhand middle wide and elbow. I don't think it is impossible but it is a lot of work for an adult learner without a coach.

I also would consider your getting a heavy push on the backhand and then choosing to open when you can read the ball in your strike zone. I know for a long time I used to hate opening behind a push return of my serves but would open after the first push. Of course this falls apart when the opponent opens.

The alternative is to use really thin brush and some sidespin (which I think you and Dan already have). Gives a long trajectory and makes the ball harder for the opponent to time.

If none of this helps, sorry for rambling.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 12:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Improving the consistency of the first loop is always going to win more points and very much worth working on.

But with the month timeframe I think the most productive things you could do are related to match readiness. Developing and using between point routines for serve and receive. Playing games and matches from pressure scores like 9-7, 9-9, 8-10, deuce. Getting out of the practice match mindset where you experiment with stuff and losing is learning. At the tournament losing is a big Fail. So playing slower and fighting for every point is important, even in club or work matches.

I think that stuff can be worth two points per set, and it is achievable, just takes self-control.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 12:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

If I had one month, I would review my game and figure out the most common way to win points. Then I would practice this combination(s) over and over. For example, my basic game plan is to serve a reverse either long cross-court or short down the line, then pivot. Sometimes I play backhands or serve regular pendulum, but the above combo is what wins me points and game, so I'd mostly concentrate on it to reinforce my main strength.

Said so, if the backhand loop is what wins you matches, go for it.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 04:23 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

I am addicted to multiball training. Now I know I am because I had someone feed me and it was his first time trying so he sprayed the ball quite a bit even when feeding it at a slow pace and I felt I was back in Florida despite not having a great feed.

I hope this doesn't wreck my game..

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 05:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
I am addicted to multiball training. Now I know I am because I had someone feed me and it was his first time trying so he sprayed the ball quite a bit even when feeding it at a slow pace and I felt I was back in Florida despite not having a great feed.

I hope this doesn't wreck my game..

I'm doing multiball with a guy too now on the weekends. Just doing the FL drills. He's pips so I do the drills I saw Peter do for him. Some things I am still trying to make natural, like the thumb position change and a footwork sequence are still rare in matches. Other things like forehand vs backspin and backhand blocking has become considerably more reliable in my practice matches. Results will of course vary.

I don't think multiball can really hurt your game unless your serve game dips a lot. Some of the multiball drills that require a block after the feed are really important to keep up. Gives that bit of game feel. Also make sure to 'do it right' and not get lazy with the body motion.

If anything my coaching level has gone up at least 200 points.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 06:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tyson has one of the Brazilian coaches he brings in coming to Zero Beach TT on Saturday. I'm doing three hours with a small group, probably a good bit of multiball. I expect just training more than coaching since there are four of us in a three hour session. But that's fine. I am sure he feeds quality multiball.

I have to choose some exercises is all. Probably the same Florida stuff, plus some middle-corner, and some short or long. My biggest problem is still ball perception. I'm constantly wrong about short or long, or so late on the read that I just guess. It's not pretty.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 06:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Tyson has one of the Brazilian coaches he brings in coming to Zero Beach TT on Saturday. I'm doing three hours with a small group, probably a good bit of multiball. I expect just training more than coaching since there are four of us in a three hour session. But that's fine. I am sure he feeds quality multiball.

I have to choose some exercises is all. Probably the same Florida stuff, plus some middle-corner, and some short or long. My biggest problem is still ball perception. I'm constantly wrong about short or long, or so late on the read that I just guess. It's not pretty.

Do you find yourself forgetting to focus? I do that a lot. Not watching the contact. No point in even playing the TTedge app if I'm not even going to focus on the return. Like the man said, I have a long way to get to 2000.

Slowing down points and towel breaks helps with these things. Just not everyone likes that in practice matches.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 09:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I don't think focus is lacking. I just really suck at reading the depth. Maybe I need bifocals.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 19:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I feel like I found the biggest problem with all my serves. I think that I used to make the racket stoppage too late in the forward swing. As the result, the racket reaches the maximum speed way after the contact with the ball and it all increases the follow through.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 01:26 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:

Just draw a line somewhere on the table and say, if the ball is behind that line, it is short, if a ball is after that line, it is long, and adjust as you get burned. No spin and backspin balls kick less and are easier to keep short. Once you can defend the fast long serve, then using the line and drawing something like it for every match tends to work until it becomes subconscious and you pick up on other things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 568  Next