OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 13:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
https://youtu.be/FpRYzhaldQw?t=365

The final backhand Harimoto hits here ...is quite different to me and tells me there is much more to learn about the backhand. Also amazing video.

It's almost like a 90s style punch. Ma Long's probably hasn't seen on of those since he was a little kid. He hit is really well too.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 14:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
I tried to train banana flick with the robot today and I realized that I have no concept of what it means to wait for the ball. In my head, I Was waiting for the ball. On the video, I was woefully late.

https://youtu.be/tPIjwY_HhA4?t=221

Maybe I really should have started when I was in diapers so my brain would learn how to track the ball...

It's great Laj.

There were time when you came in very early and it gave you time to pull off the ball, which is good. Whilst learning this shot, don't be afraid to come in way too early.

Your arm and body movement is fantastic.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 14:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm also super curious about how well people understand what i know. (even if I'm wrong on every single point).

Do people know what I know in 2020? If you think you do, please make a quick 2- 3 minute video and quickly explain backhand and forehand hit, backhand and forehand topspin against block and backspin, how to move between backhand and forehand topspin, how to play forehand from 2 positions & how to pivot. Throw in some serves too if you want along with banana flick. Serve recovery too.

Okay, it might be 3 mins with all of this. If you take more than 10 seconds for the forehand counterhit, you've gone to long.

You don't need to use a ball (just shadow) and a quick demo with 2 or 3 sentences on each shot is more than enough. Make sure it's 2020 and not 2016. Send the video to [email protected] or post it here. I'll never show anyone if that's your wish and I'm truly curious.

There are things I've never demonstrated like diving early into backhands (like mickd) or jumping into the backswing on forehand cross/semi cross, but most things are either on the website or have been discussed here.

As I've said a number of times, I'm working on simplifying 2020 content every day atm.

I’ll take a crack at it. I firmly believe you haven’t learnt something until u can teach it to others so it’ll be a good litmus test.

I doubt I’ll do too well tbh lol

Dan, I'm really looking forward to it. It's clearly my responsibility to make simple and understandable content with any knowledge that I believe I've gained from recent experiences, but this will be interesting to see for sure.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 14:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Let me tell you a true story, that may sound like a joke at first...I assure you it's true.

Last year, I spoke to a player in a hotel bar/cafe in Czech Republic (told you it sounds like a joke). This guy was ranked 130-140 in the world and he asked me what I thought of his game.

Not to question the story, or argue, but how can one be ranked 130-140 in the World and not have a correct forehand and serve? Compensate with an insane level of talent?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 14:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:
This is a completely out of the blue post but I realized today that Making a come back after my surgery wouldn’t be like other come backs before. Especially with the complications around Lockdown this’ll be a much harder journey. I’m currently so heavy at the moment that I probably can’t even execute most of the technical strokes correctly.

Also for some reason I can’t rally to save my life in matches. It’s like I don’t even see ball 3 or ball 5 even when they are coming to the same spot.

A 2400 player spot me 6 points and I couldn’t even win a single point most games it was a shocking a reality check.

I’m not depressed or anything just to be clear it’s just me sharing my thoughts that I need to be prepared for a longer journey than what I’m typically used to.

Maybe BRS was onto something so I did order a new pair of glasses and maybe that will help.

Dan, thanks for sharing honestly,

I feel that you definitely need to give yourself a slight break from high performance expectations. I know you've had good matches against 2300s etc in the past, but you might have to put that on hold for a bit whilst you find your feet. The sport will still be there in 6 month and you aren't even old like us.

Try to find you favorite light fitness activities and make them part of your daily routine. When you play tt matches, stick to those 1700 to 2000 types so you can keep your confidence and feel good about the sport in general. There is no need to take on a 2400 after surgery, covid, and what is clearly a recovery period for you.

I'm still in the process of watching your matches and giving feedback. I'll try to get it done today.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 14:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Today I tried to practice my serve on an outdoors table after not playing for 5 months. It took me approximately 15 swings before I could even hit a ball on the reverse serve. And even the lightest wind affecting the ball after the toss is very annoying.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 15:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Let me tell you a true story, that may sound like a joke at first...I assure you it's true.

Last year, I spoke to a player in a hotel bar/cafe in Czech Republic (told you it sounds like a joke). This guy was ranked 130-140 in the world and he asked me what I thought of his game.

Not to question the story, or argue, but how can one be ranked 130-140 in the World and not have a correct forehand and serve? Compensate with an insane level of talent?

Let's be clear, you are allowed to question the story and argue because it's a tt forum and everyone get an opinion and a say. I openly tell people that many of my posts are lame attempts at table tennis comedy. I'm allowed to that as well because...it's a table tennis forum. Please don't forget, I'm the Snake Serve and LL Beary guy who received lots hate mail. Apparently not everyone likes tt comedy. The sickest part is, I'm only like 1150 funny!

So my 130-140 post is basically true, but I knew it wasn't at all believable, so I attempted to write it as a comedy piece or something. I really was standing up showing him stuff in the tournament hotel bar, which is objectively ridiculous. I really did feed him 5 minutes of multiball in Indonesia. Would I really pay 1 million to go back in time? There aren't even time machines...to the best of my knowledge.

So the answer to your question is obscene anticipation and speed. That's all I have to say about this story.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 15:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Today I tried to practice my serve on an outdoors table after not playing for 5 months. It took me approximately 15 swings before I could even hit a ball on the reverse serve. And even the lightest wind affecting the ball after the toss is very annoying.

I'm guess you just described my future.

Did the serve get better after 10 mins or so? Or was it too windy?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 15:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:

I'm guess you just described my future.

Did the serve get better after 10 mins or so? Or was it too windy?

It did get better with time, but was still wildly inconsistent. Interstingly, my pendulum serve was not as bad, and I could recover it much quicker. Which is quite strange, since my "pendulum" was a back-up at most, my technique sucks, and I did not practice or use it much when I actively played last year. I guess it is just the inherent complexity of the reverse that makes it hard to recover. After struggling with the wind for some time, I just decided to wait for a gust to end, and use that 10-15 seconds break to practice, then wait again. Also, the table is made of metal and the bounce is a bit weird, which makes this whole thing questionable. At least it is of standard size.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 19:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
don't forget, I'm the Snake Serve and LL Beary guy who received lots hate mail. Apparently not everyone likes tt comedy.

LL Beary videos are my favorite ones! How is he coping with isolation?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 20:01 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
I tried to train banana flick with the robot today and I realized that I have no concept of what it means to wait for the ball. In my head, I Was waiting for the ball. On the video, I was woefully late.

https://youtu.be/tPIjwY_HhA4?t=221

Maybe I really should have started when I was in diapers so my brain would learn how to track the ball...

It's great Laj.

There were time when you came in very early and it gave you time to pull off the ball, which is good. Whilst learning this shot, don't be afraid to come in way too early.

Your arm and body movement is fantastic.

Thanks, Brett. I need to learn to watch these videos properly or I wilk go insane.

The biggest thing for me was remembering that stepping out is part of the shot. That and I remembered the finish from Miami. It makes a lot of sense now, the stroke size feels closer to what I probably used to do as one shot backhand man before I began an obsession with smaller strokes over the table.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 21:43 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Here's a couple of sets against a different fellow. For context he's a borderline top local division player - he'd get 80-90% in the second-top division, but less than 20% in the top division.

I was trying to get FH in more, and also to keep shoulders low and relaxed.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 22:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Here's a couple of sets against a different fellow. For context he's a borderline top local division player - he'd get 80-90% in the second-top division, but less than 20% in the top division.

I was trying to get FH in more, and also to keep shoulders low and relaxed.

Absolutely awesome LordCope. You know what? BRS was right!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 22:14 

NextLevel wrote:
big d wrote:
This is a completely out of the blue post but I realized today that Making a come back after my surgery wouldn’t be like other come backs before. Especially with the complications around Lockdown this’ll be a much harder journey. I’m currently so heavy at the moment that I probably can’t even execute most of the technical strokes correctly.

Also for some reason I can’t rally to save my life in matches. It’s like I don’t even see ball 3 or ball 5 even when they are coming to the same spot.

A 2400 player spot me 6 points and I couldn’t even win a single point most games it was a shocking a reality check.

I’m not depressed or anything just to be clear it’s just me sharing my thoughts that I need to be prepared for a longer journey than what I’m typically used to.

Maybe BRS was onto something so I did order a new pair of glasses and maybe that will help.

You are fine - you are just underestimating what is required to be sharp enough to beat people. I mean you beat Amir. The last time I played Amir, it went to deuce in the 5th.

But the training hours always matter, moreso if you are healthy enough to train. I don't think it is an accident that I am striking the ball the best I ever have and this follows me striking the ball 6 hours intensely every weekend (I don't remember ever training that long or hard). Just be patient and track the hours and use them wisely.

Lol I can still beat 1900-2000 lp or anti players. If I have time to load up they struggle with loops and I can also give them back a little back of their own junk so that also helps.

You are right training hours definitely matter

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 22:15 

wilkinru wrote:
big d wrote:

I had a urinary tract infectionfor basically 5 months, Nov to April. I didn't play much and ya gained weight too. I wasn't sure if I was going to even try TT again, at least REALLY try. Covid was a blessing in a way. I got healthy right around then and have been able to work out on my own considerably more and then at the TT club basically in private. My weight hasn't improved a lot (diet is harder to follow during Covid) but I'm feeling much stronger and feeling pretty good at my game. This took months. You can do it. We love this game too much and it just makes us give it another go no matter what.

I'm doing as much of this as I can daily (and other stuff like it)

Thanks for sharing.

I will try that video

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494 ... 568  Next