OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 01 May 2024, 01:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 05:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I refuse. I can still hit the ball harder than they can for now....

https://youtu.be/km0xNfRDEN4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 06:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I don't know if I would be able to return their serves.

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 11:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
BRS wrote:
mickd wrote:
IThey make it look easy!

Or maybe it is easy and we are making it look difficult?

Yes, we are hopeless. Let's drown in a deep endless sea of self-deprecation.

That is the most optimistic post I've ever written.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 20:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The Table Tennis Edge App is now available on Android via this link https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... est4&hl=en

For those of you who really want the app for sure, download it now and you'll at least have the old version. I'm now desperately trying to get a newer version into production, although I honestly don't know if it will work.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 23:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ahh a new version would be nice.

I injured a back muscle a few weeks ago and haven't played one bit. it's funny how my brain wants to ignore all table tennis while recovering. Then one morning I'll have a dream about hitting a forehand and then I know it's time to return. The mind knows the body is ready.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 00:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Whilst playing a match, it is quite bad to be focused on technique. Technique is something that needs to be trained. I don't care if you are FZD or a 1200 player, you should just be trying to win the match you are playing. If a player comes back to the bench and I start talking about technique, I've become pretty incompetent or frustrated (maybe they are the same thing?) I'd say it happens about once a year on average that I start telling a player how to hit the ball in a match. The truth is that I either talk psychology or tactics between games...never technique.

All that said, hopefully you have good enough technique to enter a match. This is all relative of course. If you feel the need to practice technique in a match, you have a bit of work to do on the training table, as a general rule.

It's quite amazing how much time a player spends on the training table compared to a competition table. I'm guessing it's something like 99-1 for an elite player. The ratio would go down at lower levels, especially for those who just play league once a week etc.

So with the 1200 player I'm bench coaching I tend to have a lot of success teaching them how to return a serve they are having trouble with. See us 1200-1800 USATT players really struggle with serving and returning still. How often does an elite player need help with return of serve during a match?

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 05:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ok, I know I am late to the party

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 07:45 

fastmover wrote:

Ingenious construction with the table!

I am trying to practice my observation skills, so here are my comments on your first shove attempt:

- When you bow forward you might want to bring your racquet back a little bit more

- imo, your arm/wrist motion looks like a frisbee throw sometimes and like a jab upwards other times. The finishing position of the racquet is too high. it's supposed to be a straight jab forward

- you extend your wrist. try to keep it bent

EDIT after having read wilkinru's post: I agree that the body movement is good and that practicing the shove helps you improve the 2-step process for other BH shots

Last edited by chopblock on 10 May 2020, 09:28, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 07:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

I think it's a pretty good start. The body does seem to be making the arm go. As others will say, more forward action and feel like you are "pushing down" on the ball.

The cool thing about this backhand is that it will make your backhand body motion better, even if you decide to not use it.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 08:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If I go forward, the ball will drop on the floor, like at 0:07. It is a very old robot with worn-out rollers that I thought was completely broken. It turned out that if I set it to almost pure sidespin instead of topspin, it somehow worked, but not consistently. Also, the desk has no friction whatsoever, so the bounce is super weird.

I don't even know if the whole thing is worth doing. I will probably mostly practice my left hand or penhold with this setup. Otherwise, I am afraid it will do more harm than good.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 14:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Whilst playing a match, it is quite bad to be focused on technique. Technique is something that needs to be trained. I don't care if you are FZD or a 1200 player, you should just be trying to win the match you are playing. If a player comes back to the bench and I start talking about technique, I've become pretty incompetent or frustrated (maybe they are the same thing?) I'd say it happens about once a year on average that I start telling a player how to hit the ball in a match. The truth is that I either talk psychology or tactics between games...never technique.

All that said, hopefully you have good enough technique to enter a match. This is all relative of course. If you feel the need to practice technique in a match, you have a bit of work to do on the training table, as a general rule.

It's quite amazing how much time a player spends on the training table compared to a competition table. I'm guessing it's something like 99-1 for an elite player. The ratio would go down at lower levels, especially for those who just play league once a week etc.

So with the 1200 player I'm bench coaching I tend to have a lot of success teaching them how to return a serve they are having trouble with. See us 1200-1800 USATT players really struggle with serving and returning still. How often does an elite player need help with return of serve during a match?

Here are a few things I may say in a timeout or change of end:

- He's serving a lot of backspin serves. He thinks it's a way of winning cheap points so be ready because he will be doing a lot more of it.
- He's serving too aggressively and they are drifting half-long. Make one of two topspins to pressure the serves
- If you don't know what spin is on the ball, dig long to the backhand or middle and get ready to counter.
- His reverse serve is almost always heavy backspin. Just push is back short and stop flicking.
- Use more sidespin on your banana flick...or hit the banana harder without sidespin.

These aren't coaching lessons on how to return serve. They are situational suggestions that depend entirely on where points are being won or lost.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 14:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Ingenious construction with the table!

I am trying to practice my observation skills, so here are my comments on your first shove attempt:

- When you bow forward you might want to bring your racquet back a little bit more

- imo, your arm/wrist motion looks like a frisbee throw sometimes and like a jab upwards other times. The finishing position of the racquet is too high. it's supposed to be a straight jab forward

- you extend your wrist. try to keep it bent

EDIT after having read wilkinru's post: I agree that the body movement is good and that practicing the shove helps you improve the 2-step process for other BH shots

I agree with this

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 15:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Ahh a new version would be nice.

I don't think a new version will ever have new stuff now. I just want to get a stable version of the current TTE online. It's hard to imagine how many hours have gone into making this thing and I hated having it offline.

I have a new app idea that I'll start working on sometime soon. It has nothing to do with anticipation although it may end up being just as interesting as Table Tennis Edge. I don't want to share the idea until there is a working prototype and that won't happen till mid June (guess). Then we all know what will happen from there because we've been through it all before. I'm considering making this one free because I can't listen to people complaining about paying $5 again, especially after I just paid $15 for a few chocolate bars yesterday. I may put some really annoying ads in it though.

I had been thinking about the Table Tennis Edge concept for over 25 years. I remember filming myself in 1993 and watching myself on the screen in a very primitive version. I just remembered this today. I even bought a wide-angle lens for my video camera, which cost me a lot at the time.

I've been thinking about this new concept for about 10 years. Now I've refined the idea into a simple app format.

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 01:51 

Hey guys. It's been awhile. I haven't been able to practice much recently, but here's one thing from yesterday.

I've been wanting to do some 2-2 forehand backhand practices for awhile now. Finally got the chance. I enjoy it quite a lot so I think I'll try to do at least 5 minutes of it every session.

I was going for 2 forehands, 2 backhands, 2 forehands, 2 forehands from the backhand corner, then repeat. Here is how I went. I learnt a lot doing this because I could barely even get past the backhands at first.

At the end I included what I'm thinking about now. I think my movement to the wide backhand is a little too slow/small. At the end I did a shadow stroke of how much I feel like I should move compared to how much I'm actually moving. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZZvi3DMLQ

P.S. Thanks Brett for the app. I downloaded it on my phone. Hope you get the updated version working :) The usability is a little rough. Sometimes when I slide up or down, the app doesn't detect it and it counts as me losing the point. But I like it.

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 03:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Here are a few things I may say in a timeout or change of end:

- He's serving a lot of backspin serves. He thinks it's a way of winning cheap points so be ready because he will be doing a lot more of it.
- He's serving too aggressively and they are drifting half-long. Make one of two topspins to pressure the serves
- If you don't know what spin is on the ball, dig long to the backhand or middle and get ready to counter.
- His reverse serve is almost always heavy backspin. Just push is back short and stop flicking.
- Use more sidespin on your banana flick...or hit the banana harder without sidespin.

These aren't coaching lessons on how to return serve. They are situational suggestions that depend entirely on where points are being won or lost.

I like this a lot and it would be a treat to coach players who could follow those concepts. I like the if you don't know the spin suggestion. I may use this going forward but Focusing on the serve is such a good skill to have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454 ... 568  Next