OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 20:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Is anti drift where he moves the bat forward before the backswing? This could help ball contact timing that allows a longer and faster backswing allowing a better whip action???

Yep I did mention you were coaching to 2 local players!!! I realize now this is a bad mistake as I did have an ambition to beat one of these players sometime.

Yes Maurice, you've explained the basic concept of anti drift. Instead of allowing the racket to drift back like 4/5 players do, push forward first. Your explanation is basically correct and this alone will give you a better serve. This was the first step in my understanding the value of anti drift and I was very happy.

The second level of understanding was a bit deeper and more profound for me personally. The anti drift allows your real backswing to go against the weight of your body causing catchup whip, resulting in significant more racket head speed. This is especially true on the punch/hook and reverse serves. The backswing going against the momentum of the body is key, regardless of whether or not you use anti drift. My explanation is deliberately vague here because I want to explain it in the video.

In relation to your "friends", I guess they have both booked in times.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 23:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If the backswing goes against your body then obvs it isn't being driven by your body? Been wondering about this. Body in serves seems kind of irrelevant (to me, with my poor serving ability), but lots of good people talk about how important it is.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2021, 05:25 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
F.... I have spend 2 years trying to get a good serve with good body rotation and wrist snap and now Brett wants me to add another arm movement to the mix. :P

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2021, 08:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
If the backswing goes against your body then obvs it isn't being driven by your body? Been wondering about this. Body in serves seems kind of irrelevant (to me, with my poor serving ability), but lots of good people talk about how important it is.

I believe that serving with your body is super important. This guy wasn't wasting his energy.

The final forward swing goes with the weight of the body.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2021, 08:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
F.... I have spend 2 years trying to get a good serve with good body rotation and wrist snap and now Brett wants me to add another arm movement to the mix. :P

Hey Maurice, I'm only asking people to use anti drift when they are messing up the serve. I must admit though, I'm personally using it a lot anyway.

Below are examples of 3 players not messing up the serve and not using anti drift. In all examples, the backswings are against the body weight, so no emergency.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2021, 08:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:

I live in a Lab and I try to work stuff out every day. I try to improve on my knowledge and my downfalls, for which there are too many to mention.

I think most coaches just settle for what they knew in the 90s and 2000s and leave it there. No one really questions them anyway as long as they are consistently wrong. It's only when you change or realize new trends that people really question and doubt you. This is the nature of progress and I'm fine with it.

If I can't produce new stuff in 2 years time, my lab and research time will be wasted....and I will suck again. I struggle to think of what will be next because ttEDGE 2021 is all I have for now. That said, look at the change over the last 6 years, especially in times when I was exposed to live international tt on a weekly basis. I want to continue to learn and share.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2021, 06:54 
Super User

Question. Does anti drift allow a better whip action closer to the ball contact? If this is true, would anti drift allow a more consistent serve due to the fact of a shorter back swing action closer to the ball and also would the serve be harder to read? The after ball contact bat movement to mislead the opponent would be a longer movement compared to before ball contact whip action?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 07:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Question. Does anti drift allow a better whip action closer to the ball contact? If this is true, would anti drift allow a more consistent serve due to the fact of a shorter back swing action closer to the ball and also would the serve be harder to read? The after ball contact bat movement to mislead the opponent would be a longer movement compared to before ball contact whip action?

Hey Maurice, these are all interesting questions. The truth is, I'm not exactly sure about the answers, so I'll just tell you what I'm quite sure of.

Anti drift improves racket head speed on the backswing, resulting in more whip at the backend, regardless of the size of the anti drift swing and backswing. It's all assisted by the backswing going against body's weight and the forward swing going with body's weight. This all makes the serve harder to read because of the speed of everything.

My results in matches have been surprisingly good with some players saying that my action is sometimes seems too fast to know exactly what happened. Sometimes people tend to flick backspin, thinking that it was topspin etc.

I've started making the anti drift video, so it should be ready in a day or three.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 11:48 

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS H3
BH: Donic Barracuda
I think this ties in well with Brett's towel flick method for improving spin on serve.
You can't flick a towel unless you are coming in fast to the change of direction, so I gather that if you only slowly backswing (drift into the change point) you cannot produce a good whip action and fast bat head speed.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 16:44 
Super User

My next question is can u do a anti drift short swing forehand loop. I can shadow swing it.
I am having a lesson with Brett and report back

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 19:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ttgame wrote:
I think this ties in well with Brett's towel flick method for improving spin on serve.
You can't flick a towel unless you are coming in fast to the change of direction, so I gather that if you only slowly backswing (drift into the change point) you cannot produce a good whip action and fast bat head speed.

This is all true

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 20:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
My next question is can u do a anti drift short swing forehand loop. I can shadow swing it.
I am having a lesson with Brett and report back

It's a fair question and something I think about. I've suggested it in a few videos such as LTT86. I've messed around with delay/anti drift on my backhand topspin vs backspin with good results in set play. In matches, I kind of just hope it happens without thought and often it doesn't

The problem is it's hard to do the above when the ball is traveling fast and randomly.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2021, 05:46 
Super User

I have been looking at the new footwork videos on ttedge.com for the forehand. I was wondering if the following is the correct way of looking at this topic.

Of course good players do the following automatically without thinking about each step.

For me personally, I need to set an intention to do a quality forehand loop for all balls on the forehand side.

As soon as you see the ball is going to your left side set off your left leg shoe push to start the rotation.
If it is a fast incoming ball be dynamic in the push of the left shoe push.

Assuming you have time and you are not totally cramped for time, do the jump to full rotation and the knee action.
Then if you track the ball to your hitting zone do a normal forehand. If wider semi cross over. If a wide ball do the cross over.
So no side to side step at all for any balls to your forehand side.

So is the key the rotation the instant you know it will be a forehand and then work out what footwork pattern to move to the ball contact?

Training routine is one ball with random placement on forehand side from a ready position

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 07:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
I have been looking at the new footwork videos on ttedge.com for the forehand. I was wondering if the following is the correct way of looking at this topic.

Of course good players do the following automatically without thinking about each step.

For me personally, I need to set an intention to do a quality forehand loop for all balls on the forehand side.

As soon as you see the ball is going to your left side set off your left leg shoe push to start the rotation.
If it is a fast incoming ball be dynamic in the push of the left shoe push.

Assuming you have time and you are not totally cramped for time, do the jump to full rotation and the knee action.
Then if you track the ball to your hitting zone do a normal forehand. If wider semi cross over. If a wide ball do the cross over.
So no side to side step at all for any balls to your forehand side.

So is the key the rotation the instant you know it will be a forehand and then work out what footwork pattern to move to the ball contact?

Training routine is one ball with random placement on forehand side from a ready position

In a match, you get to the ball however you can. It's really hard to say that one thing is always the right footwork.

It's amazing how little "side stepping" is actually used in a match. So why make part 12 of the series? Why even include jumping directly into the backswing on balls to the forehand side? Doesn't part 13 attempt to cover the best way to get to these balls? I think I made it because all of the best players do it in set training drills, so I just went with the flow. How bad can it be?

I call part 12 "jumping into the backswing", just for the record. Side stepping implies that you have time to shuffle side to side and then do a proper shot. The reality is, the ball would be in the car park behind you if you tried to side step and then attempted to make a proper leg twisting forehand topspin. You have to jump into the backswing to have any chance and, even then, you almost need to know where the ball is going in advance.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 07:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have filmed twice for my serving videos and I still don't like the footage. I'm going to take a bit longer to get this content out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527 ... 568  Next