OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 01:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I know there are a few other Malaysians posting here - anyone planning to attend? Quite a bit of info online:

ITTF:

http://ittf.com/competitions_temp/compe ... egory=WTTC

Local website:

http://www.perfectwttc2016.com.my/

Venue and ticketing:

http://www.perfectwttc2016.com.my/#!ticketing/c1hvk

Tickets online:

http://www.ticketpro.com.my/jnp/sports/ ... -2016.html

Begins on the 28th of Feb, ends on the 6th. Group play on 28th to 3rd, 4th and 5th are the elimination stages, 6th is the finals. Tickets are RM43 (for the day) for the Premium seats from the 28th to the 2nd, and then it goes up to RM60, RM100 and RM170 on each subsequent day. On the 6th (a Sunday) there are two separate sessions - the 14:30 session (Womens' Finals), and the 19:30 session (Mens' Finals), ticketed separately, RM130 per session. A season ticket for the whole 9 days is RM500. Cheapest tickets are RM11 for Group play, in the nosebleed section. Nosebleed season tix are RM200, Finals are RM80. Something for everyone, I guess...

Venue is the Malawati Stadium next to the big Shah Alam stadium and Batu Tiga go kart track. Should be plenty of parking, fairly easy to get to. If you look on the ITTF web site there are a Division 2 and a Division 3 as well, I wonder if they're playing in the same venue... if not it might be worth finding out where they're playing, might get in for free! Lots of big names - German mens' team, for instance - Ovtcharov, Boll, Filus, Steger, Franziska. China - Ma, Xhang, Xu, Fan, Fang. S. Korea: Joo, Jung, Lee, Jang, Jeong. Womens' Japanese team: Fukuhara, Ishikawa, Ito, Wakamiya, Hamamoto. China: Chen, Zhu, Li, Ding, Liu.

I'll probably skip the finals, might go on either the 1/4s or 1/8ths.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 01:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yup.. Divisions 2,3,4 in a different building nearby.

http://ittf.com/World_Events/wttc_2016/ ... lletin.pdf

http://www.ittf.com//World_Events/wttc_ ... hedule.pdf

Play between 28th and 5th.

In retrospect, the best way to get access would probably have been to volunteer, about a year ago!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 01:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Definitely going on Opening Day (28th, Sunday). Turns out it's easy to figure out who's playing when:

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_team_events/te ... 1&Gender=M
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_team_events/te ... 1&Gender=W

E.g.:

Group B Womens' Premier Division:

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_team_events/te ... Group_no=2

10am: Japan vs. Czech Rep. Table 3; Germany vs. Thailand Table 8; DPRK vs. Brazil (choppers vs. JPen?) Table 9.
7:30pm: Japan vs. Brazil Table 3; Germany vs. Czech Republic Table 5; DPRK vs. Thailand Table 7.

Will report back on whether the Division 2-4 playing halls are free entry. I expect there'll be Div 1 people practicing there as well.

Ah... what's this???? "Visit Yinhe at booth A4 for a free gift" - I definitely will! Didn't know there'd be a trade show as well - better bring some extra money... :lol: Probably spend the whole day there!

http://www.tenryu.com.my/store/

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 01:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Whew.. what a day. Arrived a little before 10, watched Championship Division matches at 10, 1 and 4:30. Mostly women's matches in the morning, men's in the afternoon. Left before the 7:30 matches. Went around all the vendor booths - lots of interesting stuff to see.

They switched tables and matches around from what they were when I printed them out last Friday! No big deal, but had me looking around trying to find the matches I wanted to watch. The 10am session had the Japanese make short work of.. can't remember now. :lol: Lots of fans, people clapping. The Chinese were on Table 1, but Table 1 was in front of the officials, no spectators allowed. But RM43 got you a seat about 10 feet above the nearest table, great view of the entire hall. The 1pm session had the Japanese team (the men, this time) make short work of... er, don't remember again. I should start carrying a notebook if I'm going to be writing this sort of stuff. The Chinese men were playing the Greeks on Table 9, almost under where I was sitting. Left the hall shortly after this (maybe 2:30pm - there were only 2-3 matches still going on) to have another peek at the vendors and also at the lower Division playing halls. They'd set up HUGE WHITE TENTS with plywood floors, with table tennis flooring. Yes, you needed tix to get in, but once you were in - hey, it's a ringside seat, almost NO spectators, and the matches were no less spectacular. Division 2 took place in one hall, Division 3 and 4 (the draw in Division 4 was full of vacancies so not so many matches) in another hall. Went back to watch the 4:30 matches - and the North Korea-Taiwan match that started at 1pm wasn't over yet! This meant that South Korea - Croatia had to start maybe an hour late! Yup, Joo Se Hyuk was going to be playing, and I wanted to watch that. Lots of very loud North Korean fans! Wonder where they came from - probably flown in together with the team. They were happy, North Korea won 3-2. It came down to the very last match - 5 sets, ended in deuce! No wonder it took so long. They all left en-masse once the match was over, probably straight to the bus and back to the hotel. Didn't see any "minders" but you never know.

Joo didn't play until the third match, he had a bad day and lost to Primorac (is this the same guy who was playing back in the 90s??). In fact S. Korea was down 2-1 when I left - don't remember the first match but in the second, Lee Sangsu beat the Croatian Chinese, Tan Ruiwu. Lee Sangsu plays very short points - his loops are flat as a board and fast as a rocket, he either misses or he hits them past the other guy. Only four of the nine tables were the Butterfly Tusson er, Truspeed show tables, the other five were plain old Butterfly rollaways. The four "good" tables were tables 1-4 - these were up next to where the "accredited people" sat. The two in the middle were 1 and 2, the ones to the sides were 3 and 4. The hall wasn't very full, the lower part (the premium RM43 seats) were about half filled, everyone sitting as far in front as they could. The other tiers were practically empty, especially the nosebleed section. This was a Sunday, so I expect attendance to drop off during the week, but it could/should pick up next weekend, during the elimination rounds. Tix prices really go up, though. It's cheap enough for schoolkid lunch money (in the nosebleed section) during the week, so they can attend if they want to.

Lots of choppers, especially among the women. Filus didn't have a good day either. The most spectacular player in the hall I watched by far was Gionis, the most spectacular match was Fan Zhendong vs. Gionis. Just amazing - fast, thundering loops, long floating chops that would barely clear the net and plop down on the table. Looked totally different style-wise compared to the other choppers.

Swag: Tibhar plastic "knockers" and paper fans, two free 1 star balls from Yinhe (this is what they're advertising on the Tenryu website - the one with the blue label is seamless, the other seamed. Not sure why they need both, maybe to give people a choice of using a ball OEMed by the same people who make the ball for an upcoming tournament), a 2016 Yinhe catalog. Was looking to spend money, almost bought a sheet of Tenergy 05 (to find out what the hype is all about) but the price wasn't less than what I'd pay mail-order, so I went for a sheet of Rasant Turbo (which WAS on discount) instead, so I got an Andro bag and an Andro catalog as well. Had a good time hitting against an I-Pong (if you think about it, that name is.. somewhat suggestive of something unpleasant) - these are a great deal bigger than I thought they were (about 2 feet tall). Robot plus net, they want RM700 for, I might go for one. If nothing else, it'd be something to use for exercise when no one wants to play.

Yinhe had "Sign Bats" for sale for RM10 (about US$2.40 - a fraction of what you'd pay at Eacheng), didn't buy one but they sold scads of them - mostly to kids out for autographs. There were usually a dozen kids, hanging around the entrance leading to the players' practice hall, brandishing these things - when I brought out one of my old balsa hand-made blades (for the same reason) they made polite sounds of envy. I never did get any autographs - when the Japanese men walked through the security guards shooed all the kids away - I was hanging around in the back and was slightly amused.

Interesting: Have a look on the ITTF TV website - they've got videos up already! And what's interesting - they're not only covering Tables 1 and 2 with streaming video, they've got streaming on EIGHT tables - four of which are in Divisions 2 and 3! Not only that, they have Division 2 and 3 matches that you can click on and watch. There were TV/video cameras EVERYWHERE in the hall, including some really big one (the sort you thought they USED to use for broadcast TV). The ticketing website said "absolutely no cameras and sound recording", but as you'd expect, everyone was happily snapping away with their Androids. I'll post a few photos tomorrow.

There was some sort of counterbalanced rig with a camera at the end of a long boom and a bunch of barbell weights at the other end, this was set up next to Table 3, where I moved to watch the Japanese women (Ai-chan, Mima-chan and Kasumi-chan made short work of the... Czechs.. that's who it was). If you watch the Ito - Cechova match, you'll see these interesting panning close-ups, with the camera moving behind the judges. I'm pretty sure it was this camera - I was sitting right above it. Something I noticed - the Japanese and Korean teams will all stand up when the coach is standing up and giving advice during time outs, between games, etc. Other teams (such as the Croats) do not... they were all just sitting around in various positions when the coaching was going on.

Who, or what, is "Perfect"?? They sell Chinese cosmetics... :lol: Had a big booth next to the Liebherr booth (THEY sell bulldozers!).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 04:34 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The USA men, #2 seed in lowly division three, got beat 3-0 by #15 seed Luxembourg. Then we stormed back and beat #23 seed Cyprus 3-0. The USA women, playing in the top division, lost 3-1 to S. Korea, then 3-0 to Austria. The only win by 42-year-old Wang Chen. :party:

USA #1 Woot Woot

I'm disgusted that the Chinese don't have Wu Yang on the team. Of course, Amelie Solja can't compete due to the ITTF's racist policies on evil players who choose to live in another country. :n:

Austria beat Czech Republic 3-0. One of those matches was won by Werner Schlager. :up:

Joo got beat by thousand-year-old Zoran Primorac. Viktoria Pavlovich is back for the first time in a while. Not in good form though. :(

To me, the most interesting player is India's Manika Batra, who is a long pips chop blocker. Beautiful game with lots of twiddling, spin variation and smart ball placement - what I try to do but usually fail :lol:

Here's a link to one of Manika's games: http://cdn.laola1.tv/ittf/iframe/player ... col_match2

ITTV has cameras on eight tables. That's pretty cool.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 06:11 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
Great post, iskandar, keep them up!! did you see Schlager win his match?

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 15:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I was there, but I didn't follow that match - there was so much going on.

I did watch this one, though - by the time it took place most of the other matches were over, only one or two others going on.

Mainly third ball attacks, some succeed, some fail, very short points. Turns out South Korea prevailed over Croatia 3-2.

No video of Gionis vs. Fan, though... that was an epic match, first two games went to deuce, Gionis won 3rd game, lost fourth game 11-7.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 19:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

A couple pics. This is a wide-angled view of the Championship Division venue. Everything looks so... purple in the photos! The players are just marching in. On Table 1 the North Koreans and the Taiwanese are still at it (three and a half hours after they started).

Here's Hong Kong vs. Russia, IIRC. Forget who's on the next table - oh, Austria vs. the Czechs. You can see the boom camera way off in the corner, to the right, unused at the moment.

The Boom Camera Guy earlier. This was during the Ito Mima match.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 19:55 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
mynamenotbob wrote:
To me, the most interesting player is India's Manika Batra, who is a long pips chop blocker. Beautiful game with lots of twiddling, spin variation and smart ball placement - what I try to do but usually fail :lol:

Here's a link to one of Manika's games: http://cdn.laola1.tv/ittf/iframe/player ... col_match2

haha, yes, i watched her matches closely before because she is playing against our (Croatian) girls in the 1st round...

she is also one of the reason i was invited to a training camp of our national womans team a week ago, so our girls have some time spent against that kind of play :up: it was a proud moment for the amateur me, my name was even mentioned in the national sports paper as an official sparing partner for the world championship :rock:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 21:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just checked - games going on right now, live, on all 8 tables.

Table 1: Germany vs. France (M)
Table 2: Sweden vs. Malaysia (M) Swedish guy makes big gestures while serving!
Table 3: Japan vs. Poland (M)
Table 4: South Korea vs. Russia (M) - Lee vs. Shibaev, Lee ahead 2 games, just won 3 quick points. Time out.
Table 10: Iran vs. Canada (M)
Table 11: Thailand vs. ?? (M)
Table 22: Slovakia vs. Bulgaria (W)
Table 23: Greek vs. Luxemboug (W)

Japan always seems to play on Table 3. I think I know why now - the feed is live on Japanese TV, and all that camera equipment belongs to the Japanese TV people! Great production values, fades, multiple cameras - you don't get this at any of the other tables. Some of them you don't even get the score (table 11).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 21:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Muzutani playing right now on Table 3. Vs. Gacina. Ahead 1 game. Game over.
Timo Boll now playing on Table 1.
Niwa Koki on Table 3. Not as smooth as Mizutani..
Gee.. I can open three (maybe more) video streams on separate browser tabs - almost like being there! :lol: Too much stuff to pay attention to all at one time.
Boll down one game to Lebesson, down several points in second game now.
Joo Saehyuk on Table 4! Up 2 games. Something wrong with the streaming, though - rather jerky. Noticed this earlier.
Boll now down 2 games.
They fixed the problem with Table 4, Joo is actually down one game.
Boll lost! Table 4 is jerking again. Filus up next.
Niwa deuce in 4th game (up 2-1). 2-2 now..
Stands look EMPTY! Late in the evening, I suppose.
Joo now up 2-1.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 12:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Tuesday morning.

Table 1: Hong Kong vs. USA (W)
Table 2: Poland vs. Singapore (W) (Feng Tianwei vs. a Chinese-Polish chopper)
Table 3: Russia vs. Sweden (W)
Table 4: Belarus vs. Ukraine (W)
Table 10: Serbia vs. Turkey (W)
Table 11: Canada vs. England (W)
Table 22: Kazakhstan vs. Guatemala (W)
Table 23: Latvia vs. Argentina (W)

Live commentary on Table 2. Deuce in 4th, FTW was down 5-10! Wow.. ended at 17-15, FTW won.

12:40pm - Swe vs. Rus still ongoing, 2 choppers. Push, push, push.. :lol:

Ah.. finally over. But they're still streaming the video of the empty table. Two technicians came in and had a look underneath a couple minutes ago. Something's still going on, you can hear it in the background. Next matches start at 13:00.

13:00 - Matches about to start. Looks like they've reduced the number of tables to six.

Hmmm. Germany lost last night to France. Boll lost twice.

Table 1: Malaysia vs. Denmark (M)
Table 2: France vs. Sweden (M)
Table 3: Italy vs. Croatia (M)
Table 4: Bad streaming.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 18:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Getting ready to start the 16:30 matches. They moved one of the "Tusson" tables to Table 5. The tie on Table 6 (or it might be the new Table 4) is still going on (since 1pm!). Either Ger-Eng or S.Korea-Romania. They're now showing spectators in the stands.. some real close-ups, there was someone picking her nose just now.. :lol:

Table 1: Malaysia vs. Denmark (W)
Table 2: China vs. Spain (W)
Table 3: Japan vs. Thailand (W)
Table 4: Taiwan vs. Romania (W)

Ai-chan is playing now. She won the second game 11-1 but just lost the third 9-11! The Thai girl suddenly seems to have found her form.

The Thais are giving the Japanese a oood fight - Mima-chan is down one game. Ai-chan won 4th game 11-9, and then they did a post-match interview! Yup, they've got special arrangements.

Wow.. Mima-chan just lost the fourth game 11-5 or so.. She was down 7-0. Down to the fifth game.

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 01 Mar 2016, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 19:10 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
England 3 - Germany 1 (MT) - yay! When was the last time THAT happened? probably c. 1990.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 19:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

zzzuppp wrote:
England 3 - Germany 1 (MT) - yay! When was the last time THAT happened? probably c. 1990.

Germany lost to France also last night. Maybe this year they won't qualify?

So what's the deal with the shrink wrap? After the matches were over someone wrapped Ito Mima's shoulder with shrink wrap and then she put on her sweatshirt. They did some close-up footage of the team as they were packing up their stuff.

7:30 matches will start in 50 minutes - debating whether to go home or watch at the office. Romania-Taiwan still going on, Taiwan up 2 matches, but it's 2-2 in the third match, just starting the fifth game.

Iskandar