OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Was €150 enough ?
Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 09:29
Yes 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
No 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 18:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

iskandar taib wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the Confucius Institute - after all, "outreach" by foreign governments is common and should be. Here, we have the British Council offering English classes, among other things, as well as helping people who wish to study in Britain. There's the Japan Foundation - I know about them mainly for the excellent film festival they run every year (got a nice T-shirt last year.. :lol: ), they offer Japanese classes and organize cultural events. The US has the Peace Corps, we know what they do and world is better for it. And then there's the BBC, not to mention Voice of America! If the Chinese government wants to reach out to people of other lands, promote its own culture and encourage tourism, why not? Sure, they might have "ulterior motives" - promoting their point of view, for instance, but so does everyone else - no need to get paranoid about it like some people are in the US! If they offer help/money in sponsoring a table tennis tournament, I'd say go for it. I just found it interesting that they chose table tennis!

Hmmm... came across this video just now.

The Confucius Institute comes up in this video. I suppose the cultural outreach (and sponsoring table tennis tournaments) is OK, but apparently they're into other stuff as well (such as controlling and keeping an eye on - and muzzling - Chinese students and faculty and other people who might say things about China) which is not OK.

I've been watching the SerpentZA YouTube channel for quite a while. He lives in China, has a Chinese wife, and has published a lot of very, very interesting videos about what it's like to live in China, including the good, the bad and the silly. He genuinely likes the place and the people (though not everything about it), but recently he's been getting more and more pessimistic about it. Among other things, the Communist posters and propaganda which was common when he first came to China and which disappeared over the years is back with a vengeance. It's become more and more uncomfortable for foreigners to live and work in China, a lot of people are leaving. Which I think is sad.. and it's an extension of what's going on in the rest of the world, to be honest.

That Evil Uncle T-shirt.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 20:21 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
There is probably a logical explanation. The tournament was probably secretly sponsored by leprechaun's.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 03:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I was wondering where to post this - it's own topic, or here. I'm not sorry I decided to post it here because in the process I went and read all the previous posts. They're REALLY interesting - mainly about how to grow tournaments by not restricting them to the top players only. If you organize tournaments, it's a good read.. even if I did write a lot of it myself.. :lol: I'd forgotten I'd written all that stuff.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2019, 14:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually... Hmmm... 100,000 pounds prize money... Maybe using rubber ISN'T the way after all... :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35160

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 15:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Looks like no more Confucius institutes in Sweden..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/swed ... -7n56ld2v3

Iskandar