OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 06:34 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
Hi brains trust I have a question and dilemma that I'd like to put to you all.

I have a player in my local club that is currently using 2 inverted tensors (I think its 2.0mm softish tensor) rubbers on a 5ply all wood allround blade and he is a defender. Currently has no real attack however that is for another day. He is a relative beginner, is quick on his feet and fully understands and accepts that time at the table means results. He can differentiate between good play, that still results in a loss, and bad play generally.

For me, I do some very light coaching & I wouldn't even call it that to be honest, I just help players tweak their technique in most cases to get a better result. Most don't have time to train properly, this player might if things could be set up for him.

My question is this...

Do I suggest long pips for him now and start training with him on the long pips? Or do we continue to work on technique for the chop with the inverted rubber then change at a later date? What are the pros and cons of these in your opinion?

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 07:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

apophis wrote:
Hi brains trust I have a question and dilemma that I'd like to put to you all.

I have a player in my local club that is currently using 2 inverted tensors (I think its 2.0mm softish tensor) rubbers on a 5ply all wood allround blade and he is a defender. Currently has no real attack however that is for another day. He is a relative beginner, is quick on his feet and fully understands and accepts that time at the table means results. He can differentiate between good play, that still results in a loss, and bad play generally.

For me, I do some very light coaching & I wouldn't even call it that to be honest, I just help players tweak their technique in most cases to get a better result. Most don't have time to train properly, this player might if things could be set up for him.

My question is this...

Do I suggest long pips for him now and start training with him on the long pips? Or do we continue to work on technique for the chop with the inverted rubber then change at a later date? What are the pros and cons of these in your opinion?

If he wants to be a chopper switch to LP now.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 07:55 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
If he is comfortable with the tensors and has good reactions let him stay with what he has got. Does hi like putting all sorts of spin on the ball? Is he more reactive in game play than "active"?

We need more retrievers.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 10:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
If he's petty much a beginner, then he's likely to mainly play players that are also at the lower levels. These players don't generally use much spin and pushing is the biggest part of the game. At that level he'll get some free points from playing with LPs, but he's not likely to do much actual chopping.

So I think it depends on what his aims are. If he wants to win more games, he may progress quicker with LP. If he wants to have more fun he may enjoy trying LPs. If he aims for the top grade, I think he'd be better off sticking to double inverted and improve his technique before he considers moving to LPs.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 12:43 
Super User

Thank you for all the responses already! He wants to be able to chop the bejesus out of the ball and his aim is to be a good level local club member, he already is in our top division as a 3rd line team member. He struggles against hvy topspin at the moment and he will recieve a decent level of looping directed his way.

He is also quite active in his play trying to outmaneuver his opponents. We are at the end of our season so group equipment buys are on the cards soon for next season's play, hence my question.

So far the split in the responses here are the same at the club :lol: when i ask what he wants to play with he just says what every the recommendation is as well. Do you think that the jump from inverted to pips is hard (short or long) for a player?

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 15:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
apophis wrote:
Thank you for all the responses already! He wants to be able to chop the bejesus out of the ball and his aim is to be a good level local club member, he already is in our top division as a 3rd line team member. He struggles against hvy topspin at the moment and he will recieve a decent level of looping directed his way.

In that case I think LP (with sponge) is worth trying. If he's already a chopper, I don't think the adjustment huge, the main thing is the direction of the stroke is different, you need to chop downward more with LP (brushing the back of the ball), while with inverted it's more underneath and forwards. Hopefully you have someone there that can show him the basics so that he can start the right way.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 21:28 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
In that case I think LP (with sponge) is worth trying. If he's already a chopper, I don't think the adjustment huge, the main thing is the direction of the stroke is different, you need to chop downward more with LP (brushing the back of the ball), while with inverted it's more underneath and forwards. Hopefully you have someone there that can show him the basics so that he can start the right way.

There are a few guys that are more capable with chop technique then I am thats for sure! I think half the battle here is that this guys is that he trusts in the better players to make an educated choice and the other is he wants to chop like JooSeeHyuk :rofl:

Thanks for the pointers as well, he will be the only dedicated defender in the club. As the others have all retired from pennant play. Im excited to get more variety into the club play.

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 06:29 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
I had a long conversation about kids and LP/SP with our main youth coach during the weekend (... while spending way too many hours in a ping pong facility during a club trip to a small town tournament). His thinking is that LP can be ok if the kid has a natural tendency to leave the table but should be avoided like the plague until they're well into their teens if this isn't their natural tendency. Hard to argue with him since he had 5 players in the R16 during the Swedish youth champs a few weeks ago. One of the five kids is actually an extremely skilled modern defender.