OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: edge and net ball
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 02:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
It seems net balls are likely to benefit LP blockers.I myself got this extra point from a chicken wing block in the last point of a set during my latest match.The harder they loop, the more likely it is for a ball to creep over the net .The same goes for low trajectory chop blocks at the corners .

Where is justice? what is justice in table tennis? edge and net balls are part of the game.The sooner you accept this, the sooner you concentrate on the next point .

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 16:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

dwruck wrote:
I think the nets should just use a metal bar of some sort instead of string along the top. Then, there's never a decrease in tension.

I thought about this last night - the problem is unless the metal bar is pretty substantial (say, a 1/2 inch square tube) it's going to sag. The two posts are six feet apart. And then you have a problem with storage. I suppose you could replace the net with a solid plastic fence (which should be a grid, since you do want to see the ball on the other side of it) - you'd have to make it out of glass-reinforced plastic, and it would have to be in parts so you can take it apart for storage. It would have to be substantially thick (maybe 3/16 - 1/4 inch thick) to be strong and stiff enough. You'd have to decide what sort of profile the top would be - would it have sharp corners or rounded ones, or would the top simply be rounded? You would want something that prevents, as much as possible, dribbles, and balls that glance off at an angle but still touch the table on the other side. In any case... sounds like it'd be something to experiment with. Maybe use plywood to experiment with initially, and there are people here with woodworking skills...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 07:24 

Blade: Sanwei SU
FH: T88
BH: T88
How about a carbon tube and a dyneema net below? It wouldn't weigh anything but would be reasonably rigid.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 18:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

twomartinis wrote:
How about a carbon tube and a dyneema net below? It wouldn't weigh anything but would be reasonably rigid.

It would still need to be six feet long (see above).

Iskandar