OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2022, 05:09 

Last month I tested OSAIs video analysis service.

I'll start with the conclusion. For now, I've only uploaded one match and haven't dived into all the details, but I think this can be a useful service for analysing matches and preparing for a match vs an opponent you played before. Compared to manual video analysis you save a lot of time. The service does seem to be a bit beta still as some buttons like sharing to Instagram didn't work at first (but works now) and I get errors on the Video replay page. Still, I think these are more UI issues and the technology works great.

Not sure if there is any aggregation across matches yet since I only uploaded one match, but I see that as a very useful feature if it's supported. Another useful feature that they might be able to add would be "AI coach recommendations" with written tips like "against opponent X you should serve more short forehand". Currently, you need to extract this yourself by going through the report.

On to the report itself:

To upload you need to sign up at https://osai.ai/#table-tennis. Here are some screenshots of how to submit videos that I took when I first heard about it a few months ago, it might have changed since then

I paid €29.99 for one match (up to 7 sets or 1.5 hours). At the time of writing, it seems they have reduced the price to €19.99.

I got the report about two days after uploading. The report has four pages: Report, Interactive Map, Replay and Sequences.

Report Page
Here you get a summary of the match, stroke statistics like the number of topspins, pushes, etc:

Interactive Map
The interactive map shows shot placements and lets you filter by shot type.

Perhaps the most useful feature is the filter. Here I've filtered to show all winning short services:

Compared with losing short services it seems that serves to middle/forehand loses while middle/left wins. The sample size is a bit too small, but you can go to the replay page and playback the points to see if there is a pattern.

Replay
Here you can replay different types of points. It even gives you a "highlights" option.

Sequences
Each point is shown as a sequence like this:

The report has a share on Instagram feature where you can share a summary. You can also share the whole report, if anyone is interested I can share the link privately.

See all the screen recording and screenshots here:
https://imgur.com/a/h9V5WhJ

My blog

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2022, 18:45 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
Wow that can indeed be really helpful.
If you train in a larger group where the coach cannot give too much attention it can be really helpful.
Also multiball with a robot at home can help you improve this way through this valuable insight

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2022, 07:38 

Yeah, would be nice to have a subscription service where you can upload more matches and training videos without it becoming too expensive.

Yes, this could help you find patterns in your play that you can work on with a robot or regular multiball.

My blog