OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2023, 00:25 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Hi all. I’ve written on here many times about the struggles with my grip and style. I have played with a modified Seemiller grip since I was 12. Basically, a thumb in the back of the bat and my fingers wrapped around the bottom, as of late trying to extend my finger like Seemiller does in shake hand style. The more I’ve studied the true Seemiller grip, the more I’ve discovered that it’s complex and he has 3 different grip adjustments-I simply can’t do that. Too complicated and I’ve struggled as I always go back to the thumb, mostly holding my paddle sideways.

I can’t hit correct strokes and feel I’ve more than maxed out this grip/style. So, I’m going to switch to Jpen.

A friend of mine is a tremendous Jpen player and he is going to train me. He is usatt 2000 plus. Very experienced and often plays in China.

I’m only about usatt 1100, but at times I’ve beaten players as high as 1800. I have no idea of this will work, but I’m going to try. Starting out with a Butterfly PS 5 (I think). Wanabe rubber, just trying to learn the basics.

Any advice appreciated. Will keep you posted. I think I made the right move. My friend suggested this and said it will take me up levels. Said it’s an easy style to learn but very difficult to master.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 08 May 2023, 19:51 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Really difficult to get comfortable with after playing almost 30 years with an unorthodox thumb grip to the back. Got a cheap Butterfly P5 with Wakaba rubber. Pushing and blocking are difficult , but I do like the backhand play much better as you simply swing the paddle over with a pendulum move.

I love the power and serving ability on the forehand, but feel it will take years to master. I may just have to stay with the grip I have. I’ll keep trying, but it’s a massive switch. I feel like I’m about a 600 level player (maybe) with this. Dropping from 1200