OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2023, 16:51 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Hi gang,

I’ve decided to play with a Seemiller grip. Changing from my thumb behind the paddle (sort of Seemiller grip). I’m around 1200 USATT and I’ve played for nearly 35 years. Fortunately, I have coaching for the first time. So I’m just now learning to read spin and basic fundamental play. I’ve been geared toward using my backhand and not my forehand (pushing and blocking); playing down to my competition so I could win.

I’m about to get new forehand rubber for my Sardius; backhand rubber is anti.
I have to learn how to twiddle and serve properly. Lots of work to be done.

The good news is it has rejuvenated my passion to play.

I’ll take any advice I can get : ). I do have a robot. Currently, I’m nursing an injury to my left arm (pinched nerve), so I’m waiting for the green light to train.

I’m using Butterfly super anti.

Plan on developing a strong forehand loop due to the grip and style. No backhand loop. Basically I’m going to try and play like Dan Seemiller’s style.

Thanks in advance!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2023, 09:13 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Ask @Hookshot .....

This stuff is right up his alley.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2023, 13:27 

Blade: Matador
FH: Spinfire 2.1, Black
BH: Diabolic Special 1.0, Red
I hav played mostly Seemiller grip for decades. One tip is to only use the anti sparingly, and really develop good strokes with forehand loop and backhand block with the inverted. Footwork is key, as you have to get to your forehand to really play well. Another option, though not the Danny Seemiller way, is to develop a lot of sidespin on your shots. I play someone regularly who uses that grip and he can sideswipe the ball with lots of spin and angles and it is really effective.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 15:45 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Thanks guys. So I’m literally just learning to play from scratch. My coach and he’s great said:
1. I’m gripping the paddle too hard
2. Playing too tense
3. Learning to hit the ball correctly, been hitting with the entire arm and not the body
4. Already looping pretty good
5. How hard is it to loop with my windshield wiper motion?
6. I used to grip the paddle with all four fingers around the head and a thumb from behind. How long will it take me to get a feel for the Seemiller grip?
7. I’m playing Tenergy 05 on the forehand and super anti on the Back. Another good player told me that the Tenergy is too fast for me at this stage and so is the blade, Sardius. Said I’m losing too much control.
8. Also said my grip should be so loose that someone could pull the paddle from my hand.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 18:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The Sardius does have a reputation for being ridiculously fast. In the 1990s it was the fastest blade Butterfly made. Tenergy 05 IS fast, but I think it's usable with a reasonable all wood 5 ply blade (no need to mention my first choice.. :lol: )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 14:26 

It's not the speed that is a problem. It's high speed + small sweetspot that causes issues. That's what a sardius is.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2023, 23:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
allencorn wrote:
I hav played mostly Seemiller grip for decades. One tip is to only use the anti sparingly, and really develop good strokes with forehand loop and backhand block with the inverted. Footwork is key, as you have to get to your forehand to really play well. Another option, though not the Danny Seemiller way, is to develop a lot of sidespin on your shots. I play someone regularly who uses that grip and he can sideswipe the ball with lots of spin and angles and it is really effective.

The above advice is really good. The good Seemiller style players play a LOT of inverted strokes and a lot of heavy spin. They rarely use the anti side. Watch as many online videos of better Seemiller players and the man himself.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2023, 15:28 

Blade: Matador
FH: Spinfire 2.1, Black
BH: Diabolic Special 1.0, Red
And the Seemlier grip is one thing - there is also the Seemiller stroke. Danny's stroke was designed to loop underspin effectively to initiate an attack. Ricky Seemiller used the same grip, but he was much better at serving, countering, and counter looping. Eric Boggan, also of Seemiller grip, was much better at countering and flipping and hitting with both anti and inverted. So you have more choices and challenges than just the grip.

And of course, Danny was left handed and overall a gifted athlete (actually drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates, I think, but they told him he was too slow).

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2023, 14:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sardius wrote:

1. I’m gripping the paddle too hard
2. Playing too tense

6. I used to grip the paddle with all four fingers around the head and a thumb from behind. How long will it take me to get a feel for the Seemiller grip?

Yeah, number 6 and 1 and 2 seem to go together. A LOT of people play with that grip, you most often see it used in the Frat division at the Intramurals. I think it's because all these people learned to play from each other and played mainly against each other, and their Frats MAKE them play in the Intramurals. The Dorm and Off Campus division players - the ones that actually enter the Intramurals that is - are usually club players, and there are far fewer of them in the tournament. Aside from the stiffness these players suffered from lack of mobility, they were forced to cover the entire table using the backhand side of the blade, and would have to move bodily to cover the far forehand. The Seemiller grip is definitely better. Sounds like you're going about it the right way, with a coach.

Iskandar