OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2023, 15:27 

Blade: Stiga WRB Off Classic
FH: Stiga Calibra LT
BH: Xiom Musa
Hey Everyone!

I must admit, I'm new to the forums here at OOAK but a long-time lurker. Surprising really, considering I live in Australia but still quite far away from the OOAK shop team.

Anyway, I'm here because I run a table tennis blog (Racket Insight) and we thought it would be fun to create a table tennis 'Quiz of the Year' featuring 15 questions covering a wide array of different events from table tennis over the last 12 months.

It turns out that not many people follow table tennis very closely, so we've accidentally made it super hard. A good score would be 10/15, and a great score is anything above 12. The average is sitting around 7-8 correct.

Try the 2023 Quiz of the Year

For all entrants who share their emails (not mandatory!) before the end of the year, I'll also enter you into a prize draw to win 2x brand new rubbers to get 2024 kicked off in style.

I'd love to hear what you think of the quiz, and what your score was.

@Moderators, I hope you don't mind this is a bit of self-promotion but I think it's a cool thing to share around the table tennis community :)

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 04:27 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

You can't see your score until you enter your email, so to me the linked quiz looks like some moderately elaborate email harvesting scheme. Reported it for that reason.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 05:36 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
How fascinating it is to see the RacketInSight's website having an account here, in OOAK!

Anyway, welcome and have fun!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 08:00 

Blade: Stiga WRB Off Classic
FH: Stiga Calibra LT
BH: Xiom Musa
keme wrote:
You can't see your score until you enter your email, so to me the linked quiz looks like some moderately elaborate email harvesting scheme. Reported it for that reason.

Hey mate,

Sorry it came across that way to you, I tried to make it clear in my post that providing your email address is not mandatory. I've attached an image demonstrating how you can get your score without entering any personal information.

We put quite a lot of effort into putting the quiz together, so I was always conscious of allowing as many people as possible to try it!

All that being said, I do have a vested interest in people joining our fortnightly newsletter (although I make exactly $0 from it) because we want to grow our community. As a player and coach myself, I'm trying to share information that I would personally enjoy reading.

We're not some faceless team of random people, so I genuinely welcome feedback. I apologise if this came across like a spammy 'harvesting' exercises.

GregorTT425 wrote:
How fascinating it is to see the RacketInSight's website having an account here, in OOAK!

Anyway, welcome and have fun!

It shouldn't have taken me so long :)

Attachments:
RI No Email Option.png
RI No Email Option.png [ 421.42 KiB | Viewed 865 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 10:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum RI_David :up:

I think this sort post is fine, since it's something new and would no doubt be of interest to some our members. Keme's point is valid of course, but since you do have the option to see results without have to enter an Email address I think it's fine.
As a forum that's been around for a very long time, we get continuously bombarded with spam and links purely to promote other websites, which is a drain for our moderators, so we're a little sensitive to this. Your site seems to have a good amount of original content and you seem motivated to share your experiences, so I think an occasional link to your site is fine when you have something new to share, as long as that is not all that you post.

This site has tons of valuable information that players/coaches/officials have posted over the years, so you might find it a very useful resource of information and ideas for yourself.

Now let's see how badly I do in that quiz... ;)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2023, 09:14 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Sorry for being overly sensitive. I guess I had a bad day.

Sincerely
Grumpy Old Man