OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 23:24 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Actually, I am also glad this topic moved to age as well. I am probably not what anyone would call old, but going on 42, I am certainly "older" than I was and not as spry as I used to be. But I have always been into sports, into dancing, and never allowed myself to become fat and lazy. That is why I can still wear the clothes that I wore when I was in my 20s. I agree with what Hookshot said, that he is fit and its not an accident or by chance.
If we stay focused on being fit and healthy, it works, and we can fight the years. I don't work out as hard as I used to but I still lift weights regularly, I still do conditioning and stretching exercises and that is why I can still compete with a lot of players half my age, and am generally fitter too. I can't however match up the guys that are in training all year round and play the hardcore competitive circuit.
The bigger issue with age for me, or so I feel is more about recovery. It takes longer for me to now recover from a grueling series of matches than it used to do 20 years ago.
I also come across so many young folks who look fit, simply because of diet and because of a faster metabolism, but when put to the test, they just die!
And Reb, I think what you said raises a very important point, that we are often held back because we feel we can't do something. But when we try, we see that we can!
I am not worried about age at all. Unforeseen freak accidents notwithstanding, I feel the way I regulate my diet and my workouts, I am good to go and can stay fit for as long as it takes.... I think :P

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 23:29 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
OLD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How bout that?????

Actually the best guy in our club is in his 50's or 60's and he moves quite a bit and seems to be in pretty good shape.

He claims TT is his only form of exercise (2 times a week, about 3 1/2 sessions)

On the "age or fitness" discussion, I think fit "seasoned" players might move a little less and slower than fit "fresh" players. But fit seasoned players will most likely move quite a bit faster than out-of-shape fresh players. (Are those non-offensive terms?????? I'm not making any friends, am I?)

As for playing ability, I get beaten all the time by "old" ("seasoned") players.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 08:40 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I can't think of anyone at my club that's any fitter than me, not that I consider myself especially fit, just that most of them are in less than ideal condition even if they are 20 years younger. The current generation of youth are not in anywhere near the physical or mental condition my generation was at that age. There's been a pretty sharp downhill slide with the kids lately.

I used to run a lot but don't want to inflict the damage on my body running does any more so I'm getting into cycling these days, I'll have my first race down at the cycling club in a couple of weeks :rock: even that is less strenuous than a full day TT tournament

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!