OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 65  Next
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 09:56 
Super User

ZeroZero wrote:
My observation from everyone's posts is there seems to be some people who are really bothered by other people's beliefs. While some are just open to it. Like Mulder says "I want to believe" 8) I don't think anyone is pushing anyone's beliefs on this thread...it is the offtopic section afterall.

Someone posted earlier "the truth is what you believe to be true" or something like that and I think that's true from the individual's standpoint. I personally have no problems with it. In somewhat of an analogy, there are devout religious pepole...

Except, of course, the truth is not whatever you believe it to be. Cyanide is not a health food. Punching your girlfriend in the face is not an expression of love. I am not the president of the USA. And, demonstrably, the earth is not flat.

Does it matter if people believe things which are false? Well, yes, it does. It matters to the family of the person killed by cyanide poisoning. It matters to all the women of the world who are physically assaulted by their partners. It matters to me because I want to get out of this padded cell.

Does it matter if mac33 spreads his disinformation all over the place?. I think it does. Do we really need the world to travel back to the dark ages? Aren't there enough ignorant people in the world without deliberately spreading more ignorance? Wouldn't our world be a better place without paranoia dominating our lives?

I'm assuming, of course, that you're taking due note of how mac33 is not answering the questions he's being asked and not commenting on the video reb posted. Could it be he prefers to pretend to be seeking the truth, while the reality is he'd rather remain ignorant?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 14:33 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
birchamboi wrote:
I want to get out of this padded cell.

So that's why you weren't playing last Tuesday. :D

So why is there a horizon if the Earth isn't curved? Air pollution? I think not. Why does the horizon get further away the higher you go up? It's because of the curve of the earth.
The human eye can see stars which are much further away than the horizon, so human eye limits aren't a reason.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 15:51 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mac33 wrote:
Conspiracy theorist......nothing more than a derogatory term used to dismiss a critical thinker.

Conspiracy theorist.....someone who questions the statements of known liars.

I have no issue with these statements Mac. But they don't mean everything in this world is a conspiracy. Some things can be a legitimate conspiracy, while other things are true.

mac33 wrote:
For the majority it (sadly) comes down to a question of trust.

Repeat a lie often enough - and it becomes 'truth'.

I base my belief on my observation and senses.

It certainly does not feel like I'm on a spinning ball,travelling at ridiculous speeds.

When I look out on a river,a lake or on the sea it always appears flat as far as I can see,as does the horizon.

The human senses can be fooled by what we simply see and feel around us. Did you watch the vid I put up? The part of it showing the example of a tiny man on a soccer ball demonstrates how we are on the earth. But doing proper surveyance of the earth shows us what we cannot see directly with our eyesight or feel with our senses.. It all comes down to perspective.

Think of a fly, flying around in a car that is travelling at 100 km/h. I doubt the fly realises it is moving at 100km/h because the air it is relatively stationary. The fly couldn't fly at the speed its going if it wasn't in the car (except perhaps if it was caught in a hurricane). The fly lands on the car dash, it thinks its on a stationary flat surface. On the earth, we are like the fly, with the earth and its atmosphere being like the car. To us it feels like we are still on a flat surface, even though it is spinning and moving.

For an intelligent and questioning guy, I can't see why you refuse to acknowledge that maybe there is no conspiracy in this one. Just because there are a lot of vids on youtube that appear to give evidence toward it, doesn't make it true. The thing these vids all have in common is a mis-use of methods to "prove" their point and that they re-emphasise again and again the results of the mis-used methods. This is not proof of anything except they either don't know what they are doing, or they know what they are doing is going to fool others who don't realise they have shown false evidence.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 18:24 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
mac33 wrote:
It certainly does not feel like I'm on a spinning ball,travelling at ridiculous speeds.

Think of a fly, flying around in a car that is travelling at 100 km/h. I doubt the fly realises it is moving at 100km/h because the air it is relatively stationary. The fly couldn't fly at the speed its going if it wasn't in the car (except perhaps if it was caught in a hurricane). The fly lands on the car dash, it thinks its on a stationary flat surface. On the earth, we are like the fly, with the earth and its atmosphere being like the car. To us it feels like we are still on a flat surface, even though it is spinning and moving.

My thoughts exactly, Reb. Also, inertia comes into play...
Perhaps we're all wrong and the Earth is concave? :?:

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 20:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mac33 wrote:
Conspiracy theorist......nothing more than a derogatory term used to dismiss a critical thinker.

Conspiracy theorist.....someone who questions the statements of known liars.

As I said. Pot. Kettle. Black. Critical thinkers don't go around dismissing easily verifiable evidence, especially if that evidence is plain to see and experience. And "liars" would be a derogatory term for pretty much the entire scientific community, I suppose. Conspiracy theorists are exactly that - people who see conspiracies behind everyday facts because people are "lying" to them.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

I suppose he's also have to explain the Coriolis Effect (and, come to think of it.. hurricanes).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 03:37 

birchamboi wrote:
Except, of course, the truth is not whatever you believe it to be. Cyanide is not a health food. Punching your girlfriend in the face is not an expression of love. I am not the president of the USA. And, demonstrably, the earth is not flat.

Does it matter if people believe things which are false? Well, yes, it does. It matters to the family of the person killed by cyanide poisoning. It matters to all the women of the world who are physically assaulted by their partners. It matters to me because I want to get out of this padded cell.

Does it matter if mac33 spreads his disinformation all over the place?. I think it does. Do we really need the world to travel back to the dark ages? Aren't there enough ignorant people in the world without deliberately spreading more ignorance? Wouldn't our world be a better place without paranoia dominating our lives?

I'm assuming, of course, that you're taking due note of how mac33 is not answering the questions he's being asked and not commenting on the video reb posted. Could it be he prefers to pretend to be seeking the truth, while the reality is he'd rather remain ignorant?

Well I did say "...I think that's true from the individual's standpoint." You and I know better. A crazy person's world is as real to them as you and I perceive the world from our perspective. With that logic, it's their truth even if it's self-detrimental and personal harm. (to clarify, I'm not saying mac33 is a crazy person) As I've said, I have no problems with it (in whatever mac33 wants to believe in). There will always be people like mac33; apply the 80/20 average to people and in that 20 percentile there will be another 1/5th of them that will be more radical than the prior level ad infinitum. mac33 may be in one of those levels in his beliefs? I can't force him to believe in what I believe in, or maybe one day he will. People change.

I don't know mac33 personally. Someone I think vouched for him here and said he's a good guy in real life. I'm going to lean on that and believe he is; just his views of the world and beliefs is different than mine. Is he any less of a person than me? Absolutely not!

We can conjecture that in various points of history there was always a mac33 type thinker. Heck in a previous life mac33 could've been Christopher Columbus..... Contrary to the prevailing truths at that time. Oh the irony!

I don't feel threaten that mac33, as you say, is spreading misinformation all over the place. This is the correct subforum to post something like this. Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sip and enjoy. If someone is really bothered by this thread, no one forced them to read it right? Based on the number of people commenting and multiple pages in such a short time, the thread seems to be doing a good job of exchanges based on an off topic subject. Maybe I should start a thread about aliens from another solar system? I have never, nor do I know anyone who has met an alien. Do they exist? The numeric possibility is strong IMO. Replace "flat world" with "aliens", and you might find yourself viewed as another mac33.

We are beyond the point of returning to the Dark Ages due to a small group of flat world believers and their anecdotal fallacies. This small sample size on this thread should ease any fears you have based on the ratio of people providing views against it.

I didn't take careful note of how mac33 is not answering questions, but I do recall him mentioning he doesn't have enough knowledge or expertise in an area to reply to it or something to that effect. I do believe that the majority of people have the cognitive tools to analyze info presented and usually come to a sound logical belief. Even children eventually realize that Santa Claus don't break into their homes every Christmas Eve and drop off presents....

I don't mean to or is my intent to put you into an aggressive defensive position, but why are you so bothered by mac33? Something must've triggered you to engage this much on his subject.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 04:45 
Super User

People like to disassociate from any unpleasant reality - it creates anxiety.

If encountered they will do a psyop on themselves to make believe its a wild conspiracy theory.

My dad sits 24/7 in from of the reality box - and of course this understanding of life is what he regurgitates.

I do not believe in any alien life has ever visited earth or that there is any life outside of earth - I believe its disinfo used to hide real truth.

I also do not believe in the theory of evolution - though that's what i was taught at school to be lie ve.

I find this FE topic interesting to say the least.

Originally I believed it was disinfo till I looked at the inconsistencies of the globe ball theory.

Seemingly there are hundreds of scientists who are also now starting to question this too.

Though they know if they come forward it will sadly put their career at risk.

Will leave you with this...

There is a church in the coastal city of Antwerp - from around something like 200 odd Kms out in the North Sea it's 400 ft spiral can be seen on a clear day through a telescope.

How does this info were it to be individually verified by members on this forum fit into the globe model?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 05:50 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
mac33 wrote:

I do not believe in any alien life has ever visited earth or that there is any life outside of earth - I believe its disinfo used to hide real truth.

That's weird - it's only after I met mac33 that I started to believe in aliens! :D :D

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 07:18 

mac33 wrote:

If encountered they will do a psyop on themselves to make believe its a wild conspiracy theory.

My dad sits 24/7 in from of the reality box - and of course this understanding of life is what he regurgitates.

I also do not believe in the theory of evolution - though that's what i was taught at school to be lie ve.

I find this FE topic interesting to say the least.

Originally I believed it was disinfo till I looked at the inconsistencies of the globe ball theory.

Seemingly there are hundreds of scientists who are also now starting to question this too.

Though they know if they come forward it will sadly put their career at risk.

Will leave you with this...

There is a church in the coastal city of Antwerp - from around something like 200 odd Kms out in the North Sea it's 400 ft spiral can be seen on a clear day through a telescope.

How does this info were it to be individually verified by members on this forum fit into the globe model?

mac33 I can appreciate your candor on these beliefs. I think any information presented to you to show you the contrary will be mostly in vain. I hate to use the word "truther" so maybe "realist" should be used if we had to compartmentalize. You need to see, touch, smell and the rest of your own senses to believe what is real. Would that be a good description of you?

If it is a good description of you, then the reason life doesn't exist outside of earth is because you never interacted with an alien. Theory of evolution is too long of a period for your short lifespan to observe, thus it never happened or isn't real. Again, not trying to convince you differently, but just a curious food for thought: since you never witness dinosaurs other than perhaps bones in a museum, do or did dinosaurs exist?

For your Antwerp church example, perhaps it's atmospheric refraction? Over a body of water, the air tends to be thicker with the humidity in the air thus bending the light and what you are able to see? If you want to try to understand atmospheric refraction, you can look it up here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction But then again, would you believe there is such a thing? How would you (mac33) prove or dis-prove atmospheric refraction occurs? Hmmm....

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 07:23 

mac33 wrote:

Oh. In my haste to reply I missed the most obvious. This helps explain your position I think? I'm okay with it.

In any case, if I ever vacation in your area, would love to play a few games of TT with you. I think it would be fun and interesting.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 15:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

mac33 wrote:

Have you actually seen this for yourself Mac? Or are you accepting someone else's word that this is the case? If its the latter, then why choose to believe them when maybe they have a vested interest in a flat earth theory? (Could the Flat Earth theory BE the conspiracy?) This doesn't meet with your claim to believe in what YOU see and feel, if not.

I've been at sea across the bottom of Australia, and every light-house was either visible or not visible at around the 12-17 nautical mile mark depending on its height. Some we could see (the ones inside the range when it was supposed to be visible) and others we knew by charts were there but couldn't be seen (even though the night was clear). So I don't know how the examples in the last vid you posted, or this church, are seen over the distances they claim. I certainly haven't seen these things for myself.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 15:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

PRW wrote:
mac33 wrote:

That's weird - it's only after I met mac33 that I started to believe in aliens! :D :D

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 15:47 
Super User

Perhaps its refraction......or perhaps or MUCH MORE LIKELY its not.

A mirage is never,ever detailed for one thing.

Look at the pics or video taken of the Chicago skyline from the 60 miles across Michigan Bay - they are all extremely detailed.

So if we are looking at the real thing.....

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 16:43 
Super User

What I'm really starting to dislike is the evasion. mac33, you say one thing and then within a heartbeat contradict yourself, all the while very carefully avoiding talking about the real agenda. I, for one, would have far more respect if you just came out and told us what your real position is.

You say:
mac33 wrote:
I base my belief on my observation and senses.

But then you give us:
mac33 wrote:
Look at the pics or video taken of the Chicago skyline from the 60 miles across Michigan Bay - they are all extremely detailed.
Those are not your “observation and senses”. You’re accepting someone else’s story as truth without verifying it for yourself.

Again:
mac33 wrote:
There is a church in the coastal city of Antwerp - from around something like 200 odd Kms out in the North Sea it's 400 ft spiral (sic) can be seen on a clear day through a telescope.
Have you been in the North Sea and observed it for yourself with your own senses? Or are you taking someone else’s word for it?

In the same post, you write:
mac33 wrote:

“Seemingly”? Seriously? Have you met these “hundreds of scientists”? What about the millions of scientists who disagree with them? Why trust these mysterious “hundreds” when the evidence clearly points to the truth you don’t like?

Why won’t you tell us your real agenda? I read the following:
mac33 wrote:
I do not believe in any alien life has ever visited earth or that there is any life outside of earth...

I also do not believe in the theory of evolution - though that's what i was taught at school to believe.
And I put that together with your throwaway “intelligent design” comment and suspect we have a Christian fundamentalist at work here. Who else is there who thinks the sky is a dome and God only created life on earth and evolution isn’t real?

If Flat Earth is part of your religious conviction, you should say so and then we can all go away and leave you undisturbed.

PS Still no answers to the questions I’ve asked. Why is that?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 17:31 
Super User

Yes I have not seen the skyline of Chicago from across Michigan Bay myself but even the mainstream are not disputing this as fact.

There are countless examples of buildings,land,hills etc that can be seen from distances that according to globe believers should only be viewable from very high up in the sky.

Do your own research and come to your own conclusion rather than regurgitate what you have been told.....that's all I'm trying to get across.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 65  Next