OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2021, 19:51 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita D
FH: Victas V20 DE
BH: Victas P1V
Here are some of the best Rallies of Yang Yiyun, incredible Classical Defensive styles
https://youtu.be/qhrbrF4XzHA

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2021, 05:46 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
Nice video! Her defense is so stable, I would like to see more from her.

Any idea why halfway through that first match they started counting the shots in the rally? Did it go to expedite?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2021, 09:01 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita D
FH: Victas V20 DE
BH: Victas P1V
Hopsquatch wrote:

Any idea why halfway through that first match they started counting the shots in the rally? Did it go to expedite?

Her defence is solid and her Classic Defence style is very interesting to watch. Actually, in the middle of the 4th game they started the counting, and it was due to the expedite rules

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 00:07 

Blade: Hunter
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Flarestrom
Joy_Defense wrote:
Hopsquatch wrote:

Her defence is solid and her Classic Defence style is very interesting to watch. Actually, in the middle of the 4th game they started the counting, and it was due to the expedite rules

I am not too familiar but I hear the terms "classic defender" and "modern defender". What is the difference ?

Why is this player a classic defender and not a modern defender ?

Thanks

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 02:38 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
Rodger wrote:
Joy_Defense wrote:
Hopsquatch wrote:

I am not too familiar but I hear the terms "classic defender" and "modern defender". What is the difference ?

Why is this player a classic defender and not a modern defender ?

Thanks

Classical & modern are terms to denote the strategy of the defender.

Classical defenders prefer to use defense to set up scenarios that allow them to end the point. Look at Evgueni Chtchetinine or Koji Matsushita for classic defense; they'll chop chop chop... then when the opponent gives a bad receive (a high push, or a slow, high loop), they'll come in and smash it for the point. It's a kind of a setup play, in that they use defensive strokes to set up situations that are hard for the opponents to deal with.

Modern defenders are much more aggressive, and use their defensive strokes to set up their offense (usually a big forehand). Most choppers these days are modern defenders like Gionis, Filus, and Joo (sort of. Joo got more "classical" in later years. Look at him in 2003 versus 2014 and you'll see what I mean). Most of the time modern defenders won't chop on the forehand, but some do. Their goal is to set up balls for a big forehand loop or counterloop. If the opponent pushes their chop, they want to run in & get a big loop in. If the opponent loops or drives their chop, they're looking for a big counterloop from midrange.

There's no fine line between classical & modern, though. Some defenders are EXTREMELY defensive & only ever go for an attacking stroke when it's a sure kill, whereas others are mostly defensive, but will throw in a 3rd ball attack or a counterloop occasionally to break up the pace of the game, and so on. Every chopper has their own thresholds of how much they like to attack and when they choose to defend (for example, Ruwen Filus has stated that he usually does 60% attacking and 40% defending).

We're calling Yang Yiyun a classical defender because most of the time she's pushing or chopping, and only seems to attack when the ball is "just" right.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 06:27 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Joy_Defense wrote:
Here are some of the best Rallies of Yang Yiyun, incredible Classical Defensive styles
https://youtu.be/qhrbrF4XzHA

Nice one! :up: what a fantastic watch and a cool youtube channel. Thanks for sharing

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572