OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 06 May 2024, 13:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2008, 04:35 
Super User

I doubt even luck will help :dontknow:

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2008, 05:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Glueless wrote:
I doubt even luck will help :dontknow:

When I tried to return 2500-2600 level serves from Shigang Yang in November (U.S. #13, former professional player) I couldn't even begin to guess what was on the ball or the depth and angle.

For those of us who can't do this first hand, a plug for the new serve video available from http://store.alphatabletennis.com/ptts.html

Most of the differences are so subtle that's hard to tell even in slow motion. It's inspired me to focus on serves this summer.

Hint from Pete Sampras' coach that I'm thinking of trying. Don't decide where you are going to hit the serve until after the toss. That way your preparation doesn't give away the direction/placement of the serve.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2008, 12:15 
Super User

agooding2 wrote:
When I tried to return 2500-2600 level serves from Shigang Yang in November (U.S. #13, former professional player) I couldn't even begin to guess what was on the ball or the depth and angle.
Just imagine if you transplanted his serve onto your game, how good you would be.

Then imagine if, instead of transplanting a world class serve onto your game, you developed your serve to that level on your own. Just practicing the serve would improve your touch and consequently your game over the table would be drastically improved. All without needing a practice partner.

Maybe one day i'll get off my butt and practice serving too.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2008, 14:58 

addoydude wrote:
kagin wrote:
Their deception can be so good that you can't tell they're deceiving you.

that's funny. how does that work? so you read the serve as topspin, but your opponent was really just deceiving you into thinking it is topsin, but he disguised the deception by actually serving topsin. so in the end you receive topsin clueless that the opponent just did a double deception. :)

Suddenly struck me last night how this might actually work... it looks like topspin from the player's motion, but the ball comes in such a way that it does not look like topspin... when in actual fact it is topspin... possible?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2008, 20:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

kagin wrote:
agooding2 wrote:
Just imagine if you transplanted his serve onto your game, how good you would be.

Then imagine if, instead of transplanting a world class serve onto your game, you developed your serve to that level on your own. Just practicing the serve would improve your touch and consequently your game over the table would be drastically improved. All without needing a practice partner.

Maybe one day i'll get off my butt and practice serving too.

Yeah, I need to just go down to my basement and start practicing my serve every day. You're right there's no practice partner needed.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 01:18 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
agooding2 wrote:

For those of us who can't do this first hand, a plug for the new serve video available from http://store.alphatabletennis.com/ptts.html

Funny I just bought this DVD.

Most of the differences are so subtle that's hard to tell even in slow motion. It's inspired me to focus on serves this summer.

Yep, I have been trying hard to practice too, almost 1,000 balls a day.

Hint from Pete Sampras' coach that I'm thinking of trying. Don't decide where you are going to hit the serve until after the toss. That way your preparation doesn't give away the direction/placement of the serve.

It is so hard not to think ahead though because it depends on where and how the opponent stands and where his racquet position is at that time. But I agree practice is important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 03:55 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Tat. let us in on any pearls they have on the DVD :D

Andrew surely if you decide how and where to serve after the toss you're likely to miss a lot of serves. I guess if you practice this heaps, it would become second nature. I find players who have a serving rhythm that they rarely change are the easiest to return and potentially beat. Unless of course the serve is so tough to handle its just plain cruel LOL.

I'd love to know how some players can generate huge spin off a very small bat movement. I guess they just have a quick wrist flick motion down pat.
Again, comes down somewhat to practice, but also has to be the connection between brain and hand there in the first place.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 04:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Andrew surely if you decide how and where to serve after the toss you're likely to miss a lot of serves. I guess if you practice this heaps, it would become second nature. I find players who have a serving rhythm that they rarely change are the easiest to return and potentially beat. Unless of course the serve is so tough to handle its just plain cruel LOL.

Yes, warning that I haven't tried that yet. Since as a lefty I've been working on emulating He Zhi Wen's serves (wide to a righty's FH and down the line to their backhand) disguising placement would be beneficial.

It is possible that it's different for tennis, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. I have been getting far more spin after working on my wrist snap.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 09:48 

tatlwai wrote:
agooding2 wrote:

It is so hard not to think ahead though because it depends on where and how the opponent stands and where his racquet position is at that time. But I agree practice is important.

I have done that before... actually when I dun feel like thinking much (much like I dun know where to go for something and decide to let my car decide...) problem is I guess I have to train myself to be ready for the return rather more reflexively... I think the 3rd ball is more successful if I prepare myself for what I am going to do before serving... I might catch my opponent unaware, but in doing so, also catch myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 15:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

That's a good point Usagi, although in TT I think we have to expect the unexpected and be ready for anything. However, I think it pays to have a strategy if you can to try to influence the opponent to react in a way that will be predictable and allow you to take advantage of it (eg. serve so they have to pop the ball up). It is a different thing though to appear as though you will serve in one direction from your prep and then change direction intentionally as you execute it. Mix it up so they don't know which way you are heading and it keeps them on their toes. Mix up the pace as well so they don't know if the ball will go long or drop short, once they establish the direction. Gives them plenty to think about. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 17:25 
Super User

Sometimes i don't decide where to serve until after i've served it...

It reminds me of stories from old seemiller and perhaps penhold twiddlers though. With one side of black inverted and the other side black anti, they would twiddle their racket underneath the table as they wait to receive serve, and they hit the first ball not knowing which rubber it would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 00:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Today I was shown the HOW of serve spin deception. Now I just need to practice it lots, so my brain gets the HOW TO of it. It is not without risk though, as the action can lead to putting the ball in the net easy enough, as my teacher showed me incidentally LOL.

The HOW has been discussed here often enough actually, but its amazing how much easier it is to understand with someone demonstrating it in front of you. And even then it had to be slowed down 1000% to see where the differences come in. The deception does not come from any really tricky actions, but from where on the ball you hit, with the RIGHT same action. Still doing my head in to totally work it out LOL. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 00:08 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Good, ReBorn, when you master the technique, please show us (mainly me) the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 07:30 

tatlwai wrote:
Good, ReBorn, when you master the technique, please show us (mainly me) the trick.

I see you are searching for inverted on the FH?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 07:59 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

usagi wrote:
tatlwai wrote:

I see you are searching for inverted on the FH?!

Yep, I had SP of forehand for a month and I miss looping short low balls which I can do. I played two club round robins and missed too many forehands, so I have decided to go back to invert, which I am still searching for my R*1.

May be I really should settle down for a blade, a backhand LP and a forehand invert and concentrate more to improve the skill rather than keep searching. Unfortunately, you guys/gals kept teasing me like no end.