OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 May 2024, 20:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008, 05:32 
VaMP-ire Killer

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Skull used to play J-pen Chu, but he recently changed to Shakehand. He just still thinks he's a J-Pen legend (or he forgot to update his profile LOL).

lol, I have to get some1 to change it for me :P

well I tried the serve, and by myself, it worked, but I didn look at the vid, now I cant seam to do it and its kinda annoying lol, im gona keep rying, caus I have the spin and the sidespine, but its not enough and too mych contact

oh, do you really have to get down and basicly croutch to do the serve?

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008, 08:08 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I think if you don't crouch, you either don't have as much control, or the ball would bounce too high on the receiver side.

PostPosted: 29 May 2008, 17:40 

Take a look at some of the videos of Australia’s best player William Henzell and his Tomahawk serve. It is a bit more of a subdued Tomahawk serve than you might be used to but it shows it can be effective at the elite level. He has uploaded quite a number of videos to YouTube. Here is one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPuhHkBrnM

You can see that even against world class opponents, the tomahawk can be an effective serve. At 6 all (1 minute 47) in this game he uses the tomahawk serve twice, winning the first point and getting a weak return on the second which he unfortunately misses. :x

Table Tennis Coaching, Tips, Lessons & DVDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 16:34 
Mars Attacks!

I know a lot of people think tomahawk serves are old hat but I love them and they have always made up a big part of my service variation I have even found that many of the younger players I face have not even experienced returning them.
Thanks to players like Kenta

Image[/url]

Octcharov, our own ozzie Henzell and

Haruna Fukuoka who I think uses medium - long pimples and has a very nasty reverse chop block. ( well worth looking for some of her vids to see her good use of spin variation)

these kinky serves are having a bit of a Renaissance but I agree with Dark Horse when he said

The game has speeded up so much, I can't get up in time, and if you get 'sudden knee faliure' you've had it. Done correctly however, its a great serve for discuising chop/top sidespin and indeed placement, this is a great serve for exploiting the two extremes (short to F/hand or deep to the b/hand) and it's naturally hard to read the body language of the server.

with respect to knee failure this serve just forces me to work on keeping my leg muscles strong and flexible. I acknowledge that these 2 players have extreme versions of these serves.

anyone else find them useful or have similar diagrams to share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 17:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow that does look like one evil serve! I'm going to try that, cheers mars!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 18:38 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes you're right , it's a reverse one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 21:33 
HE-LP on land or sea

I know this is like on the moon off topic, but I am the only one that finds Fukuoka attractive.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 22:55 
Mars Attacks!

rmaxwellusn wrote:
I know this is like on the moon off topic, but I am the only one that finds Fukuoka attractive.

No you are not alone, count me in but what has that got to do with TT :lol: I think she is only 5' tall, so petite but that probably makes the serve easier for her to perform.

And yes these examples are the reverse tomahawks but Kenta, Henzell & Dima Octcharov also serve the normal FH versions that everyone knows better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 23:50 
HE-LP on land or sea

I have a really hard time with tomahawk serve. I think that short people have an advantage with this style. I'm fairly tall, so I serve more like Schlager or Samsonov. Sorry, also just posting as a complete aside.

Yasaka YEO
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 01:24 
HE-LP on land or sea

:oops: sorry, I'm 24, and in the navy. It makes me a bit of a pig.

Yasaka YEO
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 05:05 
Super Looper
Super Looper

I use a lot of Tomahawk serve in different variations with side and under spin.
My best version is serving in the midle of the table with havie side-under spin and that on wins 99% even with high ranked players.
Serve is wery short with huge rotation.
Other are from F/H to oponent F/H long and short and so on.I did notice that for some reason lots of payers strugle when reciving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 07:40 
Super User

I tried tomahawk serving for a while and still do a side/under version and straight side version but couldn't ever figure out how to do a topspin version that would stay short, or even half-long.

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 08:31 
Mars Attacks!

purger wrote:
I use a lot of Tomahawk serve in different variations with side and under spin.
My best version is serving in the midle of the table with havie side-under spin and that on wins 99% even with high ranked players.
Serve is wery short with huge rotation.
Other are from F/H to oponent F/H long and short and so on.I did notice that for some reason lots of payers strugle when reciving.

Hi purger
I agree about the serve down the middle, I also exploit this serve and you are right lots of players seem to under estimate how much spin you can put on the ball and dump it into the net even if they know its under/side. I also incorporate lots of side spin with the under or top to make the curve across their elbow and that makes their attempted loop much harder.

Glueless I agree generating topspin is much more difficult to produce if you do not want to make the serve obvious. For this reason I have worked on producing a very heavy back/side and therefore even a no spin to light top can cause problems for opponents. For me the deception comes in selling the opponent want looks like the same the use of the forceful shoulder & arm movements and follow through as the underspin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 09:10 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Tomawhak topspin serve is not efective like others with side/under or mixed of both.tospin one is easy to kill moastly give away .
Like Mars agree on midle with lots of side or under/side spin as well short is real winer and even top clas player wont kill the serve and moast of times player can get strait winer or nice third ball to attack.

Another one is to serve with lots of side spin from servers forehand side to oponents forehand but short diagonal to land 10-15 cm max from net and ball will drag oponent out of table and he beacuse its so short and goes away will need to loop slow to get ball back in play and server needs to be ready for slow side spin curve loop and direct ball with his backhand in to recivers backed corner its grat combination for third ball finish . :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 13:34 
Mars Attacks!

purger wrote:
Another one is to serve with lots of side spin from servers forehand side to oponents forehand but short diagonal to land 10-15 cm max from net and ball will drag oponent out of table and he beacuse its so short and goes away will need to loop slow to get ball back in play and server needs to be ready for slow side spin curve loop and direct ball with his backhand in to recivers backed corner its grat combination for third ball finish . :D

You know I love this play purger, it works even better if you can perform the same serve very fast and deep from your FH down the line to their BH corner. Most of the time I aim to get this serve to go outside the side of the table and just swing in & hit the extreme BH corner putting even more hesitation into their mind. Don't do this to someone with a great BH loop :oops: If you can do these 2 different placements well you really start to get people into 2 minds when they see you begin you crouch for this serve. I even pause for a few seconds and look @ their ready position to see if they are giving me a hint at which they think I might try.