OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 06 May 2024, 11:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

What to do with the Experimental section?
Leave it as it is, people should be able to discuss any TT topic. 69%  69%  [ 27 ]
Leave it, but discussion on 'how to cheat' should be removed. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Leave it, but we need strict rules on what we should allow. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Make it private, so that only invited members can see it. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Remove it completely, as it reflect badly on the forum image. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 04:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

speedplay wrote:
1: Closing your eyes to the problem don't make it go away.
2: According to some members here, this is the only way to get things done.
3: Sort of accepting it.
4: Also excepting and contributing.

Not any options I would consider.

I find this section to be wrong in so many levels I can't even explain it. If you guys want to keep such a section, why not start a new site, call it basement experiments or what ever you like, as long as it's not connected to the forum, then you can do what ever you want with it.

Interesting. If this issue irritates you so much perhaps you are the one who should start your own website? ;)

"Speedplay's Famous Table Tennis Forum For Honorable Players" has a very nice ring to it. :)

Last edited by roundrobin on 29 Apr 2011, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 04:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Experimentation is part of the fun for some of us. I'd be very interested in knowing more about Hookshot's ideas on bringing old rubbers back to life, for example.

Censoring or restricting OOAK members from sharing ideas and information or discussing certain aspects of table tennis makes no sense. Free speech is a basic human right.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 04:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

speedplay wrote:
roundrobin wrote:
speedplay wrote:
1: Closing your eyes to the problem don't make it go away.
2: According to some members here, this is the only way to get things done.
3: Sort of accepting it.
4: Also excepting and contributing.

Not any options I would consider.

I find this section to be wrong in so many levels I can't even explain it. If you guys want to keep such a section, why not start a new site, call it basement experiments or what ever you like, as long as it's not connected to the forum, then you can do what ever you want with it.

Interesting. If this issue irritates you so much perhaps you are the one who should start your own website? ;)

The majority has spoken.

Me:

You:

Not sure, but it looks as if I've been a pretty big part in creating this forum, perhaps this is why it's important to me?

Still, I'm perfectly fine with accepting the majorities decision. FLP's are banned and those who don't like it can start their own sport and perhaps stop visiting forums about the sport they don't like? Or, should we only listen to the majority when they support your view?

Wow, pulling your rank on me now... OK, I see your point. My contribution is minimal compared to your 10,000 insightful posts, I accept it. Perhaps we should now label each post's value based on the poster's rank at OOAK? Mine would be rated 1453 and yours will be 2891?

I simply disagree with your constant bashing of FLP "cheaters" while you freely admit using VOC glue yourself. Hypocrisy at its finest.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 05:09 

This has gone beyond tedious. If the two of you can't agree to disagree, you should BOTH take a big step back from your keyboards. Mnnb, you hate ittf's flp ban, we get it. Speedplay, you hate cheaters, we get that too. My view - we have a great sport, why not work to make it better, rather than whinge and complain. Everyone who moans about flp ban? Get over it. I got over speed glue ban, you can recover from the flp ban. Play the game, don't cheat or bitch about the rules. Get on with it, get over the changes, stop whining.

and my chickening out setup..
Donic Waldner Allplay
Stiga Boost TC 2.0 forehand
Stiga Boost TC 1.8 backhand

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 05:16 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I agree. Get over it. Suggest some logical ways to change things. Don't just complain. Yes, it is haggisvs forum. Do you really think your argueing is helping anything? It will not change anybodys opinion here. Quite the opposite. We all know where you stand. We know where MNNB stands. The experimental section could help keep things in one place instead of all over the forum.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 05:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

speedplay wrote:
Pulling rank? Not really, just showing that I've been a part of this forum for some time, making my contribution when it had very few members. So, I've already been a part in creating a forum and don't feel like doing it again.

Before any one tries to twist this around, it's still Haggisv's forum and he's the one who deserve the credit for this forums success, but there are a couple of people who have helped him along the way and I think I'm one of them.

Using VOC glue? Could you please make sure you are up to date before you hurl around accusations?

Are you saying you have never used VOC glue AT ALL to attach any of your rubbers on the blade that you used in any Swedish league match, since the VOC glue ban?

Have you or have you not? Yes or No? Whether now you have stopped doing so is irrelevant.

Hypocrisy means you hold others to a higher standard than you hold yourself, Speedplay...

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 06:31 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
boosttc wrote:
This has gone beyond tedious. If the two of you can't agree to disagree, you should BOTH take a big step back from your keyboards. Mnnb, you hate ittf's flp ban, we get it. Speedplay, you hate cheaters, we get that too. My view - we have a great sport, why not work to make it better, rather than whinge and complain. Everyone who moans about flp ban? Get over it. I got over speed glue ban, you can recover from the flp ban. Play the game, don't cheat or bitch about the rules. Get on with it, get over the changes, stop whining.

We've all moved on from the various bans. Some use speed glue-effect rubbers now. Some use FLP-effect rubbers now. Some have changed their style. Some have quit.

It's still a good idea to keep an eye on the ITTF, however, as what they do trickles down to us. Maybe we need a section to discuss table tennis politics.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 07:23 

An ITTF/politics section! Now that has possibilities. As long as everyone that goes there knows what to expect. If it would keep threads from getting derailed in the rest of the forum, that would be great. :)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 08:27 
Stir Crazy

hookshot wrote:
An ITTF/politics section! Now that has possibilities. As long as everyone that goes there knows what to expect. If it would keep threads from getting derailed in the rest of the forum, that would be great. :)

We already have such a section: ITTF & Associations

Its purpose is:
This section is set aside for discussions between members/players, and their local or country association, and the ITTF. We seek constructive discussions about rules, management and promotion of our sport.

I believe that this then constitutes the appropriate place for discussions about what the ITTF has or has not done. Interestingly, there has only been one active topic in this section in 2011. People want to talk about the ITTF and its actions, but don't want to use the appropriate section! Why is that?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 10:39 

Hey, you are right! There is a section! But I think I see the problem,,,,

Its purpose is:
This section is set aside for discussions between members/players, and their local or country association, and the ITTF. We seek "CONSTRUCTIVE" discussions about rules, management and promotion of our sport.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 17:17 
Super User

Again.........???? |-) |-) |-)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 17:58 
Super User

How can moderators get demoted? This whole thing is ridiculous. Can we have a vote on who we want to be moderators? Some people really need to take a step back and cool down, if they don't want to do it by themselves, they might need a helping hand.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 23:01 

We still have moderators? Fooled me. :oops:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 06:44 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I'm now breaking a promise I made to myself, which was that I wouldn't get involved in this topic again (if you look back to page 1 I posted my thoughts, and they hold true). Generally I agree with Speedplay on most of this, although I think there is a degree of baiting and rising to the bait going on in both directions.

I'm posting having just read this topic - posting.php?mode=quote&f=35&p=170775 and in particular this quote;

Fadil Olguner wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
Fadil Olguner wrote:
I am sure you know why it has good spin-reversal ;)

Cyprus has nice sunshine and I assume that you like to play outdoors, just like me, right?

I love sunshine :lol:

MNNB has been very vocal for a long time and, in my opinion, is really trying to ram his viewpoint down our throats in a now overpoweringly repetitive way. I am sure I will get a diversionary response to this post (something about boosting probably). But really MNNB, you shouldn't be condoning this. Far, far too much is being quoted out of context/proportion recently (e.g. Speedplay's previous use of VoC (non-speed glue) - glue which would make his bat play no different to a water glued bat - and comparing it to rubber treatments such as sun or UV exposure. Please do us a favour, there is a big difference in effect and intent).

Well please look at the post above, and consider the intent and implications (the OP participated in numerous threads discussing UV and sun treatments) and also consider the jovial attitude of PB and MNNB to what is going on. Consider the position of the youngster and others playing the North Cyprus Veteran Champion (I assume that NA has adopted ITTF rules?).

[edit, a quick google turned up this link, they have]
http://www.megaspin.net/forum/display.a ... eadID=3625

This is why I feel the section - no, actually the whole forum - needs rules about treatments and in particular a ban about discussion of detectability. If I was actually a [clean] LP player I'd be even more angry as this gives the impression that treatment is more widespread than it probably is. This sort of content really is a charter for players to circumvent rules.

I don't suppose we will all ever agree or even reach a compromise on the matter - especially as the mods are at completely opposing viewpoints - so it is probably a matter for haggisv to decide and impose. Personally, my contribution to the thread will be limited, and I wouldn't be upset if it were locked.

[edit] I should add, the longer this runs without a decision on how to proceed, the bigger the detrimental effect on what is a great forum that is currently somewhat troubled.

185g

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 07:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

so_devo wrote:
I'm now breaking a promise I made to myself, which was that I wouldn't get involved in this topic again (if you look back to page 1 I posted my thoughts, and they hold true). Generally I agree with Speedplay on most of this, although I think there is a degree of baiting and rising to the bait going on in both directions.

I'm posting having just read this topic - posting.php?mode=quote&f=35&p=170775 and in particular this quote;

MNNB has been very vocal for a long time and, in my opinion, is really trying to ram his viewpoint down our throats in a now overpoweringly repetitive way. I am sure I will get a diversionary response to this post (something about boosting probably). But really MNNB, you shouldn't be condoning this. Far, far too much is being quoted out of context/proportion recently (e.g. Speedplay's previous use of VoC (non-speed glue) - glue which would make his bat play no different to a water glued bat - and comparing it to rubber treatments such as sun or UV exposure. Please do us a favour, there is a big difference in effect and intent).

Well please look at the post above, and consider the intent and implications (the OP participated in numerous threads discussing UV and sun treatments) and also consider the jovial attitude of PB and MNNB to what is going on. Consider the position of the youngster and others playing the North Cyprus Veteran Champion (I assume that NA has adopted ITTF rules?).

[edit, a quick google turned up this link, they have]
http://www.megaspin.net/forum/display.a ... eadID=3625

This is why I feel the section - no, actually the whole forum - needs rules about treatments and in particular a ban about discussion of detectability. If I was actually a [clean] LP player I'd be even more angry as this gives the impression that treatment is more widespread than it probably is. This sort of content really is a charter for players to circumvent rules.

I don't suppose we will all ever agree or even reach a compromise on the matter - especially as the mods are at completely opposing viewpoints - so it is probably a matter for haggisv to decide and impose. Personally, my contribution to the thread will be limited, and I wouldn't be upset if it were locked.

[edit] I should add, the longer this runs without a decision on how to proceed, the bigger the detrimental effect on what is a great forum that is currently somewhat troubled.

There are many thousands of posts at Mytabletennis.net about paraffin oil boosting of inverted rubbers, presumably "illegal"? There also such posts in this forum. So why are they "condoned" by you and others opposed to PB talking about pips treatment? Double standard anyone?

So why do people want to talk about it online? Because no matter what, some players do not wish to follow ITTF rules to the letter, and even Adham says he doesn't care as long as you don't use such equipments at his events.

As to "intent" of using VOC glue simply to attach rubbers, it's still breaking the law, no matter how you cut it. The court of law does not allow "intent" to decide guilt once a law is broken. Effect is irrelevant. If you knowingly use glue that contains VOC you ARE breaking the law.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next