OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Genius, major change
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 05:11 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I used to play with euro rubbers. When I went to China, the coaches switched me to H-3 Provincial on the forhand. When I came back, I wanted a rubber I could find here and settled on Red Diamond. The coaching in China gave me a much better loop but I could never get the same amount of spin as the coaches. Very good but not the same.

Three weeks ago, my partner let me try his second bat. It had Tibar, Genius, max. I could not believe it. This was the best thing I have ever tried. I have tried Tenergy and many other new things but this just worked like magic for me. It is not a little better, it is a huge leap better.

The first thing I noticed was the speed, Very good. Second was how hard loops that just cleared the net would land 18 to 24 inches in from the end of the table, not 6 to 12 inches. So I started to hit some really low ones and they just kept going on. On a hard loop, the ball seems to just dive onto the table and kick off. Many of the first loops from me went right under my partners bat. He told me he had to close his bat alot to block compared to normal.

I backed up and tried some hookshots. Tremendous hook! That is Spin!

Pushing is great. No problem keeping them low.

Blocking is easy even on hard loops.

Brush looping is easy and very spinny. Some of the really low balls I would have brushed can now be looped pretty hard. The arc of the ball brings it back down.

At the table countering is also great. Feels like nothing is too low to drive.

When I came back, I had made up my mind not to EJ. Only try new stuff others would let me try. I did not want to spend tons on rubber like I have in the past. And, unless I found something a quantum leap better, I would not switch anyway. This stuff is soooo much better, I had no choice. I now have it on two of my Yinhe, W-1 blades.

I can honestly say I now have spin close to my coaches. I have used Genius for three weeks now and it just gets better. It might just be my style and stroke matches this rubber perfectly but I am still smileing every time I use it. What a blast! :rock:

Post subject: Re: Genius, major change
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 05:24 
Hard Justice

Wow, I only hope I have one of these epiphanies in my near future :-). There was really enough topspin for it to actually go under your opponent's paddle? That's pretty amazing. I doubt Samsonov even likes it as much as you :-).

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 07:32 

yes, genius is an outstanding rubber, the only problem i have with genius is blocking after 3 weeks i glued it, it began to feel mushy, but then i re glued it with haifu water glue and it feel much better with that stiff glue, don't use tibhar clean fix. in a carbon blade it feels very fast for me.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 07:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Interesting review, and I'm happy for your success (and jealous of your Chinese training opportunity!). A bunch of us at my local TT club tested a sheet of black Genius last year and considered it an also-ran compared to the likes of Tenergy, Baracuda, Blitz, and the like.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 07:47 

That is something I do not understand. I tried them also and find it the other way around.

I put Genius on a blade with Tenergy on the other side before removing the Tenergy. The Genius was much faster and much more spin. I let others try the combo also. They agreed.

Are you testing all rubbers in MAX? How hard do you guys loop?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 07:42 

nathanso wrote:
Interesting review, and I'm happy for your success (and jealous of your Chinese training opportunity!). A bunch of us at my local TT club tested a sheet of black Genius last year and considered it an also-ran compared to the likes of Tenergy, Baracuda, Blitz, and the like.

Nathanso can you give use some more details of the results of these comparisons you made, I am interested in Genius. thanks Megaboyd p.s. thanks for the wamr up at the tournament ;)

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 08:18 

Almost 3 months now with Genius, Max. I also changed to Juic, one ply, 102g blade.
Very fast setup but still with great control.
Yesterday, I tried the old W-1 with Tenergy and Genius. It feels so slow compared to the new setup. The Genius on the other side is still faster than the Tenergy. Genius on the one ply is at least 15% 20% faster than the W-1.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 08:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

hookshot wrote:
Almost 3 months now with Genius, Max. I also changed to Juic, one ply, 102g blade.
Very fast setup but still with great control.
Yesterday, I tried the old W-1 with Tenergy and Genius. It feels so slow compared to the new setup. The Genius on the other side is still faster than the Tenergy. Genius on the one ply is at least 15% 20% faster than the W-1.

Tibhar makes some great rubbers... Genius is a great rubber, as is their Nimbus. :)

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 08:49 

My partner is using Nimbus VIP on a one ply 110g blade. Tremendous spin and huge speed. :)

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 16:39 

I have so many homemade blades, it is hard to keep track. I am working on one now that I think will be faster than ANY blade out there. Completly new technology. Only thing to see is how the low end behaves.

I have one 4.5mm blade that is about the speed of the W-1. Fast for such a thin blade but it has a hard feel to it. It is also pretty light. I am thinking of adding another hard veneer to it on one side to see what happens. I do think the control on pushing and blocking comes in part from the light weight.

It is easy to make fast blades with thick balsa cores and Hard outer plies. The thicker the core, the faster the blade. These also retain a soft feel for pushing and such. I really like the thin blades more though.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2011, 22:04 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
W1 is not a very fast blade at all, but excellent OFF minus to OFF class speed with nice flex and spin. You new outfit sounds good, as well as what you got brewing up your sleeve.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 17:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
hookshot, it certainly doesn't surprise me that you find Genius a huge leap forward in "spin action" on the ball. I think Tibhar has superb quality rubbers. I have only bought one Tibhar rubber, it is Special Defense 40, and that rubber also is far above any other spinny slow rubber that I have tried. (i have tried about 15 slow spinny rubbers in the last 6 months) The SD 40 imparts WAY more spin on topspin and chops than anything I have tried. It has 50% more spin than Tackiness Chop or GeoSpin Tacky.
:P

Keep on enjoying it! Smack some winners!

PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 19:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think it's more that hookshot found a rubber that is perfectly suited to his stroke, than Genius being a rubbers particularly special. I'm sure it's good rubber, but I doubt everyone would have the same experience as hookshot. Still I'd be happy to be proven wrong, as it would be a real Tenergy rival.

PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 22:05 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I think it's more that hookshot found a rubber that is perfectly suited to his stroke, than Genius being a rubbers particularly special. I'm sure it's good rubber, but I doubt everyone would have the same experience as hookshot. Still I'd be happy to be proven wrong, as it would be a real Tenergy rival.

Genius isn't a Tenergy rival according to the reports I have read, but Tibhar make excellent rubbers nonetheless. And some strokes are better suited to Tibhar rubbers than other brands. Many top European players use Tibhar rubbers, and I really enjoyed using the Sinus Alpha.

PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 23:57 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:

+1.

It may also be possible it is also just more suited to the blades Hookshot has used it on compared to blades others have used it on IN COMBINATION with Hookshots particular playing action. Obviously sounds like its quality any way you look at it though. :up:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.