OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 01:51 

Hallo,

Have you recieved your new bat yet??
I have just emailed Charlie about the 9-10-9 I want to get for my self.
One of the reasons I am iterested in this blade is that I do have a 3 ply hinoki myself, but without carbon.
My blade is 8,6mm thick, has a soft touch and a mid flex, and the 9-10-9 is around 7,62mm (0,3") with 2 carbon layers which decrease the flex and add a bit of speed (not much) so I think the speed should be the same and the blade would have less flex.
From my experience, speedplay is right regarding the changeover to your new equipment.
The blade will be on the offensive side with the barra and you might have some difficulties in the first place.
Although I am sure you will adapt quickly and love its feel (hinoki just feels soooo good;)
From you writing it looks like you are not practising, but just playing games... right?
Thats a bit of a problem as you do not get the chance of trying things out over and over again to learn your shots properly.
For my side I do also practise when I play games against players in my club. I dont realy care if I loos or not.
Just try to keep an alert state of mind and remeber how the ball is reacting to your moves and try out different things. After all you are not playing for money or honor :)
Have fun with your new set up and keep us up to date!

P.S. Iam going to order mine next week and post a review

Cheers,
Teplan

Butterfly Maze T-Tec All +
Roxon 450 BH
Haifu BWII (red sponge) FH

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 02:02 

I will be sure I keep this thread up to date, teplan. No, I have not recieved it, yet. I ordered it Thursday night after spending about an hour on the phone with Charlie. He said I should get it on Monday, and he shipped it to my work to make sure I get it as soon as possible.

As far as practice, well, I consider all the games I play practice and often try new things, but no, I have never really done drills or anything like that. Maybe I will try to find a table tennis club around the dallas area so that I can find people who like to do drills.

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 04:43 

Most important is the fun-factor, but if you want to improve your skills and get constantly better, a TT club with a coach is required.

By the way, what is the weight of your 9-10-9??
What sort of timber is the handle made of?

Thanks,
T

Roxon 450 BH

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 22:23 

teplan wrote:
Most important is the fun-factor, but if you want to improve your skills and get constantly better, a TT club with a coach is required.

By the way, what is the weight of your 9-10-9??
What sort of timber is the handle made of?

Thanks,
T

I'm not sure of the weight. I think the entire blade is made out of cypress.

It should get here today. I am very excited about it. I am sure Charlie will not let me down.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 04:28 

Just got my new blade in. Got a chance to play 3 games...won two of them. I absolutely love this thing. It feels like an extension of my arm. The special touches Charlie put into it make me feel like I am holding a work of art instead of a blade.

Pics and a detailed review to come soon, but so far I am stoked.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 08:36 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I would recommend being a little offensive with your pips more than not, as this will give you confindence when you need it

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 09:07 

As promised, here are the pics. They don't do it justice...you would have to feel it to understand. I am very glad I went the custom route with blades by charlie. I'll post a more detailed review after I get a chance to play a few more matches with it. Overall, I am thrilled.

02 by Kerbouchard, on Flickr
01 by Kerbouchard, on Flickr
03 by Kerbouchard, on Flickr
05 by Kerbouchard, on Flickr

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 09:54 
Stir Crazy

Kerbouchard wrote:
As promised, here are the pics. They don't do it justice...you would have to feel it to understand. I am very glad I went the custom route with blades by charlie. I'll post a more detailed review after I get a chance to play a few more matches with it. Overall, I am thrilled.

Wowsers! Great looking blade! Charlie really delivers, doesn't he!

This is the first time I've seen a BBC handle like this - the layering combined with the scoop looks very stylish indeed.

I note you've attached the rubbers high on the blade, especially on the backhand. Is that so that your fingers rest on the wood rather than the rubber?

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 10:05 

Tassie52 wrote:
Kerbouchard wrote:

Wowsers! Great looking blade! Charlie really delivers, doesn't he!

This is the first time I've seen a BBC handle like this - the layering combined with the scoop looks very stylish indeed.

I note you've attached the rubbers high on the blade, especially on the backhand. Is that so that your fingers rest on the wood rather than the rubber?

Actually, this is my first blade that wasn't bought at Dicks Sporting Goods so I had no idea how to attach the rubber or even which rubber to pick. I asked Charlie to design it completely and send me a finished blade. He chose the blade, the rubbers, and assembled it for me. I absolutely love the special touches like the scoop and the way he positioned the rubber for the backhand. Gives my finger a perfect place to rest.

Honestly, this blade feels like it is an extension of my hand. Hard to believe Charlie could come up with something like this having only had a few conversations with me. I didn't know what I wanted so I couldn't even really describe what I was looking for. If I didn't know Charlie was an artist, I would call him a magician.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 12:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great pictures, and great design Charlie! :clap:

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 00:31 

The Blade is a beauty! Wow never seen rubber attached like this. fancy 8)
I sort of feel happy for you, knowing how it is when you recieve a new blade and it really fits!

Roxon 450 BH

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 05:52 

Just played another 8 games against a guy who usually beats me about 6 games to 1...today, different story...I won 6 and he won 2. I love this blade more and more every time I pick it up. It is considerably faster than my pre-made but in a good way. Seems like it is much easier to get the ball back on the table, regardless of whether I am slicing, looping, or smashing.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 09:58 

Well, today was my first real challenge. I played against the Asian and South African guys and learned one thing really quick. Just because my backhand has pips out does NOT mean I can hit through their spin. I still had a lot of trouble against a few of their serves. I did, however, play much better than before and even managed to win a few games, which is very unusual for me, or unfortunately, my partner in those games.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 20:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Definitely a nice looking blade. Handle looks very stylish.

I used 563 very briefly and with the sponge on it, it is going to be fairly spin sensitive. So hitting through spin will need some experience for sure. Still, just be firm with your strokes, being hesitant will just let the spin do its thing even more so. You might eventually want to try some other pips, even without sponge. In time reading over the forum and asking questions you will work out what might be worth trying and how to put new rubbers on. Its not hard, but can be daunting the first time, so take your time over it all. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 21:11 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Those BBC blades just look better and better every time I look at them. Must ...... resist ..... must ...... resist ........

185g