OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Would a video review of Asics Gel Hunter 2 be useful to you
Yes 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Not bothered either way 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 21
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013, 18:03 

so_devo wrote:
Coxeroni wrote:
+1 for Yonex shoes! I got my first pair some months ago and they are the best I ever had. So grippy and so well cushioned.

I am also playing a modern defense game, so I need shoes with good dampening. Had a bit of knee trouble with less damped shoes, so I will stick to the Yonex.

In fact, the most important criterium for me is a grippy sole. If I don't have enoug grip, I can forget my game, since it is based on a lot of movement. The second criterium is, as stated above, a good cushioning effect.

I own the SHB-86 btw., what a nice shoe! Bought it at a bargain for 68€. Not cheap though, hope they last some time :)

I think you'll find they last very well indeed.:smile:

Hope so, this was the reason why I switched from Mizuno. My pair of Wave Medal 3 was useless after 9 months as the sole wore off and I had no grip anymore. They also refused to take them back, claiming it was normal wear. Buggers...

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013, 19:25 
The King

Long time ago I had a pair of Stiga shoes I used for many many years. Few years ago bought 2 pairs of generic brand badminton shoes for about $20 total and still on the first pair now.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 09:10 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Second video looking at the physical properties of the Asics Gel Hunter 2 - build quality, lacing system, upper, midsole and sole, weight and sizing. Part 3 is what they are actually like to wear both out of the box and after 5 weeks use (30hrs)- is still being edited.

How do your shoes differ?

Last edited by Debater on 22 Nov 2020, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 09:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great video Debater! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 06:53 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

This is the third and final video. What the Asics Gel-Hunter 2's were like to wear straight out of the box and how they changed over 35-40 hrs of use - and they did change quite a bit.

I'd be interested to know how other peoples experience of using a shoe over a period of time compares.

The fourth video is really how I collate and analyse high speed footage I take to help me spot trends in what I've filmed and what needs further investigation or filming. It's only intended for people who like that type of thing and is useful when English isn't a first language for our viewers.

I watch this thing back many times. It's a collection of the high speed test footage I took when the shoes were new and compared to a pair of Reebok Realflex Transitions and my bare feet - I filmed my bare feet as I was curious to see how my feet would bend and flex in and out of the shoes and the Reeboks because they have a very flexible spongy type of sole so there should be a good contrast. There's no commentary but some people may find it intersting watching this back without the distraction of someone talking.

Last edited by Debater on 22 Nov 2020, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 23:20 

Debater wrote:
In the past I played badminton for years and used amongst others, HiTec Squash, Prince NFS 1, 2 and IV. Using the Prince shoe carried over in to my table tennis playing days and when the time came to replace a pair I thought I'd try a pair of dedictated table tennis shoes. I chose the Stiga Wasp because they were light but I when I tried them I found them very "flat" with little or no arch support and little or no cushioning. From what I've read table tennis shoes tend to be "flatter" in comparison to other court shoes because table tennis has more lateral/sideways movement and emphasis on stability rather than the forward and back and jumping of a sport like badminton which requires cushioning to protect the foot and knees from the impact of foot on floor.

However, that flatness and lack of support lead to problems with my feet and achilles tendon so I switched back to a HiTech Badminton 4:SYS shoe but that needs replacing now. The Asics Gel Hunter 2 seem to be described as a handball shoe, but some sites also sell them as table tennis shoes and I've read reports from people who recommend them as a table tennis shoe.

Attachment:
tn_CIMG1807.JPG

They appealed to me because the advertising says they have the cushioning and support but are suitable for table tennis too. This and them being in a sale convinced me to invest in a pair.

As I'm not filming anymore equipment reviews or comparisions of types of equipment (blades, rubbers) until the ITTF sorts out the plastic ball fiasco and authorises one and they're sold to the general public, I thought I'd try to do a video review the Asics Gel Hunter 2 instead.

The type of thing I'd liked to have know before I'd bought and which I can show in the video is the comparative:

1. Weight
2. Size (Reports suggest Asics are a "smaller fitting shoe" so you need to order a bigger size - I've a feeling from only looking at them that they are narrower in width but not shorter in length
3. twist ability of the sole
4. hardness of sole (can't measure it but I can compare it in terms of pushing the sole in with my fingers)
5. non marking of the sole
6. grippiness - not 100%sure how to show this
7. lacing set up - if you look at the photo, you can see to eyelets at the top of the shoe which don't have the laces threaded through them - so what are those holes for?
8. close up of the stitching and finishing in general
9. high speed video of me playing in them (concentrating on my feet only :P ) looking to see how they react to poor footwork and sideways movement - I might not test them properly but my lunging and stepping is probably similar to a lot of people here so is also probably more relevant to players like me than a pro who's footwork would test them in a different way to how I'll be using them.

Shoes I can compare certain elements of this type of testing against include, a pair of Asics tennis shoes (this will demonstrate the difference in weight and help confirm if sizing is consistent across brands / product ranges), a very very old pair of worn out Prince NFS 1's probably 15plus years old, the HiTec 4sys badminton shoes I currently wear, a lovely comfortable pair of reebok reflex transion trainers (will help show the difference in softness, height, twist/flexibility and grip tread of the sole - the reebok's are a very very comfy trainer but I won't ware them for table tennis because I can see myself turning my ankle very easily in these when moving sideways. Snd if they haven't been thrown out the stiga wasp table tennis shoes which will highlight how flat the wasps are in comparison.

This is the type of information / images / testing I'd like to have seen done but would you want to see done for a review of the Asic Gel Hunter 2 (or any table tennis shoe) so that the review would be useful to you. Or, is there no point wasting my time doing a review of the Asic Gel Hunter 2.

Note: strange how I've never baulked at paying £35 for a sheet of Yasaka Rakza 7 and replacing it every 6 months but the idea of spending similar money on a pair of shoes has always gone against the grain and I'll wear them until they fall apart. Yet one only increases my fun whilst the other protects my health. What price health. Now there's a reality check for me.

Nice shoes! Thanks

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 04:13 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

You're welcome. I'm still wearing them a year later too and they're just as comfy. Only difference is the white material isn't as white anymore.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 06:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I loved the original gel hunter shoe, but the gel hunter 2 for some reason is a bit different, a bit flatter on the bottom (which i don't like as much0 but still it is a great shoe. Debater, I also have some Achilles problems these days. Hope we can meet up some day.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 08:05 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

I'm pretty sure that would be an interesting meeting Baal ;) There are a few forum members here I'd like to meet up with one day, record a match with them and maybe an interview of them showing me round their club / facilities. We can but dream.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 11:48 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

me Im price first , opportunity second

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 02:07 

Factors are Fit, and Performance.

i have finally found a good solution to Table tennis shoes as they are very difficult to find in INDIANA.

so what used to do was order Mizuno's from Japan website. (shipping cost and the shipping turnaround is about 20 - 30 days from Japan)
also Mizuno's are expensive (around 100-120 us dollars) performance and fit of Mizuno's shoes are first class.

Recently i have changed up on my strategy and have been looking for indoor soccer shoes.

logic is that soccer shoes must be designed to be durable and low to ground for performance, and for indoor, the grip must be good to excellent.

so what i have found in the Indianapolis area, are some shoes made by Joma, it is a company from Spain.

these Joma's Top Flex have all leather uppers, and have great support, and can accommodate my wide foot. Price is reasonable at ~75 US dollars.

anyways, my search for gum rubber shoes finished with these indoor soccer shoes.. they seem to feel like they are already broken in, after only one session.

happy looping guys..

phamster

Attachments:
20150405_114533.jpg
20150405_114533.jpg [ 164.5 KiB | Viewed 1756 times ]
20150405_114513.jpg
20150405_114513.jpg [ 143.8 KiB | Viewed 1756 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 09:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Never played indoor soccer (they call it "futsal" over here), but I always imagined they played on some sort of Astroturf, so you needed studs or something of the sort. I'll have a look at one of the courts at this shopping mall I go to.

For me, well, I bought a pair of those fake Butterflies on AliExpress, more out of curiosity than anything else (they turned out to be very good). Floors here aren't nearly as slippery as that wooden floor at the gym at IU where we used to play so shoes aren't that much of an issue.

Indianapolis, huh? Richard Hicks still playing? There was a time when I'd drive up from Bloomington once every couple weeks or so.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 11:54 

Yes Richard hicks plays ever Friday night I will tell him u said hello also I have a friend that went to Indiana University too he is Aron frank do u know him??

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 14:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Don't remember an Aron Frank, I left UM in 2001.

Richard probably won't remember me, but he probably remembers the German guy (can't remember his name any more) I brought to the Indy club several times, I think it was in 1999 or 2000. Richard was the only one who played at his level, so they ended up playing against each other every time he came up.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 May 2015, 04:33 

I'm new on this forum so this is my first post. Anyway I play allot of outdoor TT on street tables with varying surfaces from concrete to bricks, ashphalt etc. Sometimes flat dirt.
I find that TT shoes wear out fast, and don't provide enough support or grip on anything other than a flat tournament floor. So right now I use New Balance 696 Tennis shoes. They are some of the lightest of the line because they are not really high end (as Tennis shoes get better for Tennis, they tend to get heavier), so that seems perfect for street TT. They are designed for club players who play all day and want cushioning and grip on all court surfaces (which may mean good for my various street surfaces). I used to use trail running shoes but I found them too soft for the ankle roll (as it would be in all running shoes I guess).
Anyway I am still in break-in mode so I'll see how they go. :rock:
And hello to everyone. If anyone comes to Bali Indonesia and wants to play, let me know. I know where the tables are.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!