OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009, 01:57 

Hey, I consider myself either a higher level beginner or a lower intermediate, and I play a agressive flat hit style, with the occasional backspin shot just to keep my opponents on their toes. I loop if I have to hit defensively, but I try not to let it get to that. I play with a Stiga Hammerlite with stock rubbers that I won in a raffle at a local sports/thrift shop. I know this isn't exactly the best setup for me, but i got it for US$2. I use the standard shakehands grip for my forhand shots, and I flip my index over the handle to use a v-grip for backhand.I've read here that it has a little sweet spot, but I have no idea what a sweet spot is on a table tannis bat. I'd like to know about what setup I should get once I get the money for it.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009, 02:22 

Apoplectic wrote:
Hey, I consider myself either a higher level beginner or a lower intermediate, and I play a agressive flat hit style, with the occasional backspin shot just to keep my opponents on their toes. I loop if I have to hit defensively, but I try not to let it get to that. I play with a Stiga Hammerlite with stock rubbers that I won in a raffle at a local sports/thrift shop. I know this isn't exactly the best setup for me, but i got it for US$2. I use the standard shakehands grip for my forhand shots, and I flip my index over the handle to use a v-grip for backhand.I've read here that it has a little sweet spot, but I have no idea what a sweet spot is on a table tannis bat. I'd like to know about what setup I should get once I get the money for it.

FWIW from a noob: I was using the exact same bat and on the advice of the good folks here I now use a 729 Bomb with Higher 2.0 on both sides. The sponge on the stiga is extremely soft and the rubber not tacky, while the 729 sponge is quite hard and the rubber is tacky. It's a very different feel and I really like it a lot, though it may not suit your style. I will leave it to the more experienced members to make suggestions on that.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009, 02:41 

I've actually have tried some of my friends bats, and I've found I like lighter blades and soft rubber, and not too tacky to deal with other peoples spin.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2009, 05:53 

True, but i do give the ball hard backspins, and loop it a lot if I have to play defensively. Sure, soft rubbers kill a bit of speed most of the time, but but i've never seen it slow down significantly from when I've tried it.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2009, 08:41 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Excellent idea Silver! I'll sticky this thread once we get a few more entries (stickying it now may make it get lost a little among the other stickied topics).

Haggisv, where do the postings go to after "sticking"?

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2009, 10:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
All the 'sticky' does is fix the thread to the top of the section, the post still go to the same thread. This thread is already 'stickied', so you can always see it near the top of this equipment section. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 06:09 
♫ Living On The Edge (Tape) ♫

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Def
FH: Rakza Z MAX
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
What would you guys think of Milkyway Mercury and 729 40H on a preassembled bat with the rubbers taken off, for an intermediate-beginner who has been playing for about a year?

He already has the 40H, and is liking it, but wants to upgrade to a different rubber instead of the preassembled one.

Do you reckon the Milkyway Mercury would go allright?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 10:38 

Hi There,

I'm very new to the intermediate world of table tennis where there is more importance placed on bat and rubber combinations and style of play then when i was a beginner and getting a bat that just hit the ball.

I've played for just over a year now and on a personal opinion is capable in playing forehand (loops, chops and smashes) aswell as and backhand loops and chops)fairly well, i played a match every week aswell as training for 4 hours on Saturdays since i started.

I would describe my play as offensive, not overly offensive, but if the ball is just long off the table forehand side, i'll definantly loop, and same for backhand, i never stray far from the table when playing shots as i feel when i do this i'm giving myself the unfair advantage by opening up the table to my opponent. im also a 'shakehander' style of player.

I am currently using a DHS 4 bat that came complete and has DHS G888 rubbers on either side. The whole combination is heavy and im looking for a lighter bat with better rubbers.

This is where your help would be much appreciated

My coach (an extremely accomplished player in his own right and brilliant mentor) has wathced my game progress from not being able to hit the ball to striking it with confidence and solid ground strokes has mentioned i change bats to get more from my game.

He suggested a softer rubber and lighter bat.

This is very helpfull, however, when purchasing Blades and Rubbers, i underestimated how many different ones are on the market, and the people of this forum seem to have a very wealthy and in depth knowledge of the specifics of Table Tennis Equipment.

Can you Suggest a Blade and Rubber Combination that would suit my needs in order to further progress in my Table Tennis(I Considered a Butterfly BalsaCarbo X5 Bat with Donic J.O Waldner 1.88mm), but this was based on Media Hype not on genuine TT players recommendations.

Keeping in mind i require soft rubbers, a lightwieght Blade and preferrabbly comfy handle (my old on give's me blisters everytime i play), im considering something with maybe a flared handle. I would benefit with rubbers that have good spin, speed and control, (No PIMPLES), i'm not into re-glueing every time i play or anything like that, rather enjoying what i have, putting it away for the four day break im not playing, then out again every time i want to kick arse,

(Money is always an issue HOWEVER i will not comprimise on my Bat and Rubber Combination this time as i plan to maintain and have this bat for a while yet)

Thanks so much, i really, really appreciate your help as the Table Tennis World has become so intricate and advanced, i seem seeminglessly lost every time i wish to make a decision

Thanks again,

Daryl S

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 10:47 

I think that the LKT Instinct or Instinct + with 729 Lightening FX suggested in the first post of the thread sounds like it would reach your needs. That is fairly soft, and quite a decent bat to upgrade to, and is not very expensive at all.

You can probably get that for under $50.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 10:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum Daryl S!

I suspect your current bat (with the very hard G888 rubbers) is really heavy, so must bats you buy are going to be significantly lighter than this. If you have a kitchen scale you could weigh it to give us some idea.

I would not recommend a balsa blade, as it's a little specialed and mainly suits certain styles.

That rubber is a decent choice... Since your current rubber is Chinese it will feel very different. Chinese rubbers tend to be harder sponged with a sticky surface, whereas euro/japanese tend the softer and with a grippy (not sticky) surface.

Since you're already using a Chinese rubbers, you would probably not have much trouble adjusting to a softer sponged (andf lighter) Chinese rubber and blade, which would save you a fair bit of money, and I don't think it would hinder your development.

Where are you based? This would help us give you a recommendation from a store nearby.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 12:53 

Thanks so much Vinnie and Haggisz,

Your input is very valued to me,

Haggisv, the one thing i forgot to put into the whole speel was the damn weight (and your not wrong it is heavy), coming it at 187Grams.

A friend of mine has lent me his bat, it's a Yasaka ADVANCE World Champion 'Jean Philippe Gatien' With Butterfly Solcion Rubbers, i much prefer the feel and subsequent weight of his, at only 156grams.

I'm still not that inclined to stick with chinease rubbers, (your suggestion to stay with chinese rubbers is valid, however i don't mind changing as i personally feel as if i get better feeling from the solcion rubbers then the chinese tacky-er ones. it's almost as if the ball "sinks" into the bat a little more, that probably sounds weird, but thats how i would describe it, rather than kind of just grabbing then going)

I live in Melbourne In Narre Warren, But i Play at Dandenong Table Tennis.

I have my license so im prepared to drive all across Melbourne to get the right setup.

As for the Blades, im glad you told me of the difficulties i may have with the Balsa Type Blade and to stay clear just for the moment, or untill i have thoroughly tried and tested one to my satisfaction.

Another issue, with the handle, am i better to go with the falred design as my last bat (the DHS4) often gave me blisters, and i suspect it's due to either the thickness of the handle, and it is quite coarse, but also the weight of it. it has a straight handle, rounded but seems skinnier at the top end, towards the rubbers.

Just with the blades again, considering i wish to use my new blade for quite a while, i also considered using a blade with some component of carbon in it as i heard (not sure wether this is true), that they provide better power and so can be used with softer rubbers to provide good feel and spin whilst still maintaing power?

Your help and patience is much appreciated, and i eagerly await your responses.

Daryl S

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 13:18 

I think that since you are just upgrading after not too long, I wouldn't recommend buying a carbon blade. The LKT Instinct I recommended isn't heaps quick, so it will be good for you just coming up. Besides, it is only around $25. Since you are located in Melbourne, Rob from AffordableTT would be able to get you something done. I recommend the LKT Instinct or LKT Instinct + with 729 Ligthening 2.0 on both sides (about $12 each) (A chinese rubber, but very soft, with good control, and enough speed to get you through. Not very tacky). I myself am probably about to buy another few sheets of Lightening, and I have been playing with a custom bat for around a year, and feel I need some better control it my game.

Another fairly new member who has upgraded from a premade bat went with that setup, and so far, so good for him.

http://www.affordablett.com.au/shop/pro ... a0834812d6

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 14:01 

Vinnie,

You've been more than helpfull on my quest to further my table tennis skill and enjoyment, Thanks so much.

On your Advice, i'll tread carefully but almost certainly purchase the LKT Instinct + with the 729 Lightening Super Light rubbers, sounds spot on for my style of game and level of play at the moment.

Your time, patience and knowledge has been much appreciated,
Thanks again.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 17:13 

Vinnie and Haggisv,

My older Brother, after reading your forum for some time now, has became keen again on Table tennis, but feels he can't go much further with his bat and rubber combination, so i suggested he ask the blokes of this forum.

He plays very similarly to me, in fact, nearly identical, however, annoyingly so, he's better, and by that i mean, he's got more grounded strokes, he's quite consistent, and can hit the ball well, neatly and crisply.

He uses solcion rubbers on a Yasaka Blade, but the blade is now wethered and, well, old, so he wants to upgrade.

Can you guys, consideringly you've already helped me out extensively, help him with his choice, exact same style of play as me, OFF, close to mid on the table, who loops anything that's long, (frustratingly, even if it's 'just' long) and can chop and serve quite well.

He still loves the softer rubber, hence why he uses solcion, but i've told him there's now better stuff on the market, (was i right?) and he doesn't bother re-glueing them or any tactics like this.

Thanks again,

your help and advice is much appreciated,

Daryl S

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 17:17 

Why not the same thing as you're planning on getting? It sounds fairly similar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next