OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 10:46 

Sriver is amazing, except the price tag. Andro Shifter or Shifter Powersponge (soft) are good alternatives. TTNPP.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 15:58 

stupet11 wrote:
I guess the manufacturing excellence of Germany and Japan compared to China reflects in TT equipment too...
I certainly think so, at this time. As I pointed out, I do believe that China makes some good products, but in no way are they as consistent as Japan. At a price of course.

In due time, China will continue to make better and more consistent products. It will be interesting to see how they can adapt and/or change some of their own ways so that they don't damage more of their environment. I have heard that the Chinese balls are getting better, but I have not seen any near the quality of Japan or Germany.

I have a blade with 10 year old Armstrong Win. It is good quality rubber, and still plays good on that blade for being 10 years old. Armstrong is made in Japan.

When you get down to it, there are really only 3 countries that produce table tennis rubbers, Japan, Germany, and China. Much of it is produced in a few factories, with some re-badging going on.

Undeniably, rubber is the single most expensive piece of equipment that table tennis players will buy. For me that doesn't mean to save the most and buy the cheapest, but to buy what provides the best compromise between cost and performance. In some cases the cheapest might even suffice. The fun is in deciding what we thinks works best for ourselves. I don't mean to come of pompous for preferring quality equipment. It is not as if table tennis requires a huge investment.

GN

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 18:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good post GoldenNittakus :up:

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 05:06 

I don't play tt for a very long time and was wondering if there are tournements won with unglued sriver/mark v/mendo etc?

Till what level can you use those classics nowadays?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 22:44 
Super User

I have to admit, I was very disappointed with Sriver L - I was using Palio Macro Era, and tried it t see if it would give me more control....I guess it did, but to generate spin / speed / power, you have to put an awful lot in....everything just went short...felt so dead.

I will use it for coaching / feeding - it's easy to block with, were as PME you have to be more proactive or it goes long....I was amazed though how far behind the rubber is.....I guess it could sort a chopper who likes to punch hit, but a loads of better rubbers out there....especially as this still carries a premium price.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 01:54 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I think it takes a few sessions for sriver and similar rubbers to come alive, partially breaking the sheet in and partially adjusting from today's ultra fast rubbers. But for me at least, and especially on a weaker/control wing there is a huge control gain as well as adequate spin and speed.

185g

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 02:15 
Super User

Will post back after I have used it for a few sessions coaching / feeding to see if it improves. Gonna stick it on a Donic all round blade.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 19:24 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
so_devo and I were musing on the notion that after this season I might try a thin, allround rubber on my FH, instead of SP. He wondered about a thin Mark V, but that made me think also about Sriver L. Any further reports of Sriver L usage in the last 2 years?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 00:00 
Super User

Can't believe anyone here recommends Sriver... especially for the price! Holy s***, there are a thousand better rubbers for cheaper.

And those that say it's all about technique. Total bullshit. If you got perfect technique, then why the hell would you use Sriver?? Why not use Tenergy? Hurricane 3 NEO, which is half the price. I haven't seen many pros these days with 80s Butterfly rubbers. :D

99% of US players will never get proper coaching. You will not learn correct technique just by watching videos. So, you technique junkies can clamor all you want about it, but it's really besides the point. Awesome technique doesn't mean you should choose overpriced rubbers from the last century.

I tried Sriver again a few years ago and couldn't BELIEVE what a dud it was and for the price?!?!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 02:56 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
josesiem wrote:
Can't believe anyone here recommends Sriver... especially for the price! Holy s***, there are a thousand better rubbers for cheaper.

And those that say it's all about technique. Total bullshit. If you got perfect technique, then why the hell would you use Sriver?? Why not use Tenergy? Hurricane 3 NEO, which is half the price. I haven't seen many pros these days with 80s Butterfly rubbers. :D

99% of US players will never get proper coaching. You will not learn correct technique just by watching videos. So, you technique junkies can clamor all you want about it, but it's really besides the point. Awesome technique doesn't mean you should choose overpriced rubbers from the last century.

I tried Sriver again a few years ago and couldn't BELIEVE what a dud it was and for the price?!?!

You are of course welcome to your opinion! For the examples you gave you may choose sriver over tenergy because T is too fast, or too expensive. H3 neo may be too heavy, or too tacky.

What makes a rubber good for one player can be quite individual. Sriver is good in all departments still, albeit of course there are faster and spinnier newer rubbers.

The pro game is not a good reference point here at all. I'd not recommend it for all out offense.

It is however long lasting, consistent, controllable and a fine all round option. There are still highly ranked uk vets using it season after season. And I see so many players with setups too fast for them who would benefit from it.

There aren't many, if any comparable sheets that are much cheaper, unless you care to suggest some?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 07:32 

The modern game has much more horizontal strokes, mostly to emphasize recovery and tie in spin with the speed produced. Classic rubbers don't encourage this type of stroke. They encourage a more upwards stroke or a more open bat face, which can lead to slower recovery, smaller timing windows and overshooting the table. I know this probably isn't the most popular opinion, but I would never suggest a classic or low throw rubber for anybody who has an ambition to be a looper.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 07:44 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
WorkoutMontage wrote:
The modern game has much more horizontal strokes, mostly to emphasize recovery and tie in spin with the speed produced. Classic rubbers don't encourage this type of stroke. They encourage a more upwards stroke or a more open bat face, which can lead to slower recovery, smaller timing windows and overshooting the table. I know this probably isn't the most popular opinion, but I would never suggest a classic or low throw rubber for anybody who has an ambition to be a looper.

While I disagree that classic rubber = low throw rubber, (hey, Hurricane and Tackiness series are high throw classic rubbers)

I fully agree that high throw rubber gave much more "fangs" to looper. ;)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 23:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Was wondering if Sriver l might be a good boosting rubber but also wondering if the topsheet grip is enough for polyball?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 01:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

People used to speed glue it, so I suspect it is. Grip? Sure...

Anyone seen Sriver S recently? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 11:26 

BeGo wrote:
WorkoutMontage wrote:

While I disagree that classic rubber = low throw rubber, (hey, Hurricane and Tackiness series are high throw classic rubbers)

I fully agree that high throw rubber gave much more "fangs" to looper. ;)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

I never thought of Hurricane as being a part of the 'classic rubber' category, I was only referring to the old school euro rubbers such as Mark V, Bryce, Sriver, etc. Those are the ones that I usually read about when the term 'classic rubber' is used.