OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 20:15 
The King

Ah you learn something new every day! I did read about cleaning the rubber in your first post but now you also mentioned why the rubber should be thoroughly cleaned which makes more sense.

BTW, what is metho ?

Off to the budget shop again this afternoon!

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 20:29 
A Beautiful Brain

fosss

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Last edited by fosssil on 11 Apr 2009, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 20:46 
A Beautiful Brain

I have to admit that My efforts have been varied and I did ruin a couple of pip rubbers that I practiced on, but now I have discovered how to get a dome on the pip without it forming a cap and hiding some of the pip shaft...

What you do is to apply 1 light coat of SG with forms a priming coat and then mix 1/3 - 1/2 of one of those 24 gram twin tube 5 minute epoxies (they cost about $2 AUD) with the plunger to deliver exact amounts of resin and hardener, and when mixed together apply to a clean roller ( I have found that SG kills foam sponge...well the el-cheapos I am using anyway) and apply to the pips holding the blade upside down (or whatever you attach the rubber to while you do this process) and when the glue is drying it forms a nice little dome due to gravity forming the start of a drip that never happens, instead of flattening in the curing time as it hardens...now when the glue has set turn the blade or rubber over and apply some heat from a hair dryer or leave it for an hour and because epoxy does have some grip you need to apply apply 2 more layers of SG in the one session ....

Doing that process makes the contact area between the pip tip and the ball even smaller while still leaving the sides of the pip available to do their disturbing :twisted:

have fun..

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 21:27 
A Beautiful Brain

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX

Last edited by fosssil on 11 Apr 2009, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 22:39 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Might try the wood alcohol/methanol/methylated spirits bit...I've just run out of Spinmax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 22:59 
The King

So i went shopping and decided to go to a shop i don't usually go to. It just happens they had a sale on brushes and rollers. Just $0.75 For 2 rollers, 3 foam brushes and a container. I had been searching for foam brushes in my house for a while but could not locate them anywhere.

So back home cleaned a rubber with detergent, then cleaned with alcohol. I spread out the contents of 1 tube SG to a small foam brush and applied it to the rubber. The result was great, much easier to apply than with a roller. I did 2 layers easily, currently the glue is drying.

I used a brush similar to this:

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 00:28 
A Beautiful Brain

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX

Last edited by fosssil on 11 Apr 2009, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 00:56 
The King

After some experimenting and thanks to Fossil it seems i found a near perfect way to create your homemade, highly effective and very illegal to use in matches frictionless rubber. All this can be done in about 2 minutes, after this let it dry for about an hour and you are set to go.

Warning: always treat the rubbers in a well ventilated area

What you need:

- Any rubber(pips to create frictionless pips, inverted to create anti)
- A blade
- Superglue
- Foam brush
- Denatured(cleaning) alcohol
- Hair blower

How to do it

1)I recommend first glueing the pips to a blade, this makes applying the SG much easier
2)As we will only be applying the superglue to the top of the pips only the pips need to be clean and grease free(this is very different from the Fossil method).
3)Clean the top of the pips by applying some alcohol to the small side of the foam brush and then rub the pip surface with the brush. Make sure you clean every pip.
4)Dry the pips using the hairblower
5)Take 1 tube of superglue and spread about half of it out on the wider side of the foam brush
TIP: Not really needed with this method but just to be sure you may want to hold the blade with the pips pointing down whenever applying the SG to prevent dripping.
6)Apply just a little pressure and spread out a thin layer of SG on the pip surface.
7)Dry the pips using the hairblower
8)Apply the remaining superglue to the same side of the foam brush
9)Apply just a little pressure and spread out a thin layer of SG on the pip surface
10)Dry the pips using the hairblower
11)Apply whatever amount of glue is left on the foam brush to the pips(so alltogether you apply 3 layers of SG)
12)Dry the pips using the hairblower
13)Let it dry for about an hour
14)Start driving your opponents crazy with your now almost completely frictionless pips!

End result images:

Use the same method on an inverted rubber to create a superb anti rubber.

Why does this work so much better than using a roller?

Well I used foam brushes some time ago when i did some painting in my house. For some reason foam brushes seem to be very effective spreading out paint. So i figured they's also be good for applying the SG. It turned out to work very very well. No dripping, no SG on the shaft, only on the top of the pips. The result feels very much like Superblock but somehow i don't think the Dr. was treating all those sheets with glue himself....

Many many thanks to Fossil!

Gonna try my highly illegal pips tonight. I've already thought of some fun variations: only treat the pips in the center of the blade, only top/bottom half, random areas, should be fun!

EDIT: Results were better than expected, check Here(Anti) and Here(Long pips)

Superglue:

Foam Brush

Put to rest:

Current standings:

Last edited by Elvis56 on 04 May 2008, 18:58, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 01:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Gees those tubes of SG get around. Look exactly like the ones I use LOL.

Little story on SG that happened to me last night. A warning of sort.

I apply SG to the blade edges whenever I have a naked blade these days, because it gives some breaking resistance to the blade if you hit the table edge (as I discovered with one blade when I took off the cut edge tape, it was just the edge tape that had a slash in it). So anyway I was applying some SG and putting it down on my kitchen bench. Somehow it leaked and left a nice very hard little puddle of glue, which I discovered this morning. But not only that, unbeknowns to me the rubbers I had taken from the blade which were sitting on the bench nowhere near the glue had somehow gotten just a couple of spots of SG on them. Black rubber was laid down on a spot and I found it adhered to the bench this morning. The red one had 3 little spots on it, almost like SP's. Not Happy Jan (an aussie saying coming from an advert we had here on TV a few years ago). The spots cut off ok with a blade, the black rubber left a little chunk behind on the bench. So I've filled the tiny hole with silicon and hopefully it will be ok. But the warning is, if you're not aiming to make an anti, keep SG way away from rubbers LOL.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 09:43 
A Beautiful Brain

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX

Last edited by fosssil on 11 Apr 2009, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 10:27 
A Beautiful Brain

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX

Last edited by fosssil on 11 Apr 2009, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 18:35 
The King

Fossil, do you have a picture of the rollers you use? Before using the foam brushes I used 2 different types of rollers but neither worked very well, even not when i first put acetone on the roller. The SG seems to stay in the roller.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2008, 09:13 
A Beautiful Brain

fosss

BH = Bomb Talent OX