OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 02:20 
Super User

First off, I'm not talking about thr actual original Barna blades. I'm referring to thr new company called Barna Original, and their blades called Champion and Winner.

I'm very curious after testing an actual Barna clone called the Hawk (http://www.tischtennis-manufaktur.de/33.html ), but think it's made lighter for use with sponge. The spin I generated from it was insane. It made Cloud abd Fog 3 1.1mm long pips on the Hawk spinnier than the 802 1.5mm short pips on my second Joo Sae Hyuk blade, as well as Curl P1r and P4.

So it's got me thinking these Barna Original blades would be worth a try in hope they are as spinny as the Hawk, but with more modern sizing and handle placement.

Edit: emailed thr company directly and they said the Victory blade is for modern defense, while thr Champion is for classic defense. In this sense I'm now more curious about thr Winner snf Victory blsdes but if anyone has tried any of their blades I'd like to know your thoughts.

Website below:
https://www.barnaoriginal.com/index.php?language=en

They also do different rubbers from a recreation of the classic Barna rubber to long pips and anti, even a spoinny smooth rubber I think. But I'm mostly interested in the blades.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

Last edited by Snowman89 on 26 Nov 2019, 10:09, edited 3 times in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 09:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Where are these available? At least post their website.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 10:06 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Where are these available? At least post their website.

Iskandar

I've edited my post to include the link to their website. Looks very promising.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 10:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Aside from the blades, the rubbers look interesting. I wonder what "original" the "original anti" refers to.. especially when the logo reads "Estd 2019".. :lol:

They've also got "absorbtion sponge":

https://www.barnaoriginal.com/Absorbtio ... e::17.html

Looks like a defense oriented company.. They've actually got a rubber called "Super Glanti" in the LARC (new item). This video, though.. pretty useless.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 11:10 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Aside from the blades, the rubbers look interesting. I wonder what "original" the "original anti" refers to.. especially when the logo reads "Estd 2019".. :lol:

They've also got "absorbtion sponge":

https://www.barnaoriginal.com/Absorbtio ... e::17.html

Looks like a defense oriented company.. They've actually got a rubber called "Super Glanti" in the LARC (new item).

Iskandar

They bought the rights to the Barna brand, Barna being a legend of the sport, but we're talking a long time ago now thst he was winning world championships and such. So yea, think the company are rightly going for the 'original' and 'classic' vibe, but giving it a modern twist, like the handles being up in the blade etc. Handles were generakky very low down on blade ages back for flex when hitting with hardbats. But with sponge, thst flex isn't so welcome I find, so really want to try one of these blades.

The rubbers look interesting too, yes. Can only assume they are going for old school long pip and anti feel, so no Feint Long 3 and Curl P4 clones from this company I wouldn't think. Know they have a short pip that's meant to replicate the original Barna rubber, which was short pips ox basically, but with a ton of focus on max control.

I take it you like anti. I'd be interested in trying one of their long pips abd the Victory blade I think. Not changing from Hurricane on forehand though.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 16:31 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
The company has the same owner as Der Materialspezialist. So some similarities there (as web sitte design).

I have tried the Barna Victory and Triumph. They are the same blade but Triumph has thicker versions of the two plies close to the thin centre ply. Triumph is therefore faster and harder. Both have low throw and works good with frictionless anti. Don't know how they work for classic defense but they should work for using lp close to the table (well, Triumph may be too fast for that).
Here are my reviews: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=36340

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 19:31 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Snowman, why didn't you keep using the Hawk?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 19:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suspect the blades are nothing like the blades Viktor Barna used during the 1930s, when he won his World Champs medals, though the styling might look the same. I believe he continued playing into the sponge era, but was way past his prime, of course. His name was used on bats sold by companies such as Dunlop - I don't know if there was actually a Barna company selling bats. In the US, at least, the premier company selling bats was MacCrossen. The company which seems devoted to reproducing classic hardbat blades these days seems to be Valor.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 20:18 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I suspect the blades are nothing like the blades Viktor Barna used during the 1930s, when he won his World Champs medals, though the styling might look the same. I believe he continued playing into the sponge era, but was way past his prime, of course. His name was used on bats sold by companies such as Dunlop - I don't know if there was actually a Barna company selling bats. In the US, at least, the premier company selling bats was MacCrossen. The company which seems devoted to reproducing classic hardbat blades these days seems to be Valor.

Iskandar

Supposedly, the Barna Champion uses the same wood as on the original Barna. However, handle shape, size, and placement is all dufferent. Plus head dimensions of blade. The Hawk I linked in my opening post here has the original dimensions of yhe Barna but not sure about the handle. Same outer wood, but a lighter wood used in middle to make it easier to use with sponged rubber..

So in short, the Barna blades sold by Barna origibsl are not original style Barna blades. But as highlighted by the Hawk, the Barna blade is too flexy for use wity sponge in my opinion with the handle position. I don't know if the blade itself would be better with a higher handle. I do know that the actual original Barna blade (which my dad has multiple of I think, abd I've tried one before) is very spinny with short pips ox, and the Hawk, a modified Barna copy with same wood and dimensions, only a lighter middle ply, is an extremely spinny blade with long pips sponge and Hurricane..

This is what I'm interested in, to see if the wood in a more modern blsde style would overtake the Joo blade for me. I man, I need that Hawk spin in my life haha. It's insane.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 20:27 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Also, the short pips they sell meant to be a replica of the original Barna rubber (which was Leyland I believe), cannot possibly be recreated under today's ittf rules. The pips were too short and thin on the original rubber to pass modern day rules, for whst reason I don't know. I don't think the ittf know why either, just something they've passed to make it look like they're doing something maybe.

Anyway, I know about the pip dimensions thing because my parents made the Atp Reisman rubbers over a decade ago. They tried, wity endorsement and feedback from Marty himself, to recreate the original Leyland rubber, but the ittf denied the dimensions, so the pips had to be made bigger. My parents asked for reasons but never got an answer.

That said, the Barna Original company short pips they sell as 'original' could still have some of the feel theoretically, if they've made it wity Leyland in mind. I know my dad is keen on trying it.

If you've tried the original Leyland rubber, as old and hardened as the rubber is now, man, whst a rubber. Never felt so much control in a rubber before. Short pips generally less controlled chopping than long pips, but Leyland beats everything I've played with in this department. It's a shame.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 20:33 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Snowman, why didn't you keep using the Hawk?

It simply flexes too much when attacking with sponged long pips and Hurrucane 3 neo. It counteracts the force I put into attacks. It still hits fast, just noticeably slower and less stable than my joo blade. That's really the only issue (and possibly fixed with handle placement). I'd highly recommend the Hawk thiugh, but maybe a Japanese rubber on forehand that's lighter and faster. The spin yiu get from chopping with this blade is unlike anything I've felt before. No joke. When long pips chops hit the ground, which I tested, aiming my chops to side of table, it actually literally kicks back with backspin. Quite a sight.

I've sent the guy who makes the Hawk an email to see if there's something thst can be done.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 20:37 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
The company has the same owner as Der Materialspezialist. So some similarities there (as web sitte design).

I have tried the Barna Victory and Triumph. They are the same blade but Triumph has thicker versions of the two plies close to the thin centre ply. Triumph is therefore faster and harder. Both have low throw and works good with frictionless anti. Don't know how they work for classic defense but they should work for using lp close to the table (well, Triumph may be too fast for that).
Here are my reviews: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=36340

I emailed thr company and they specifically advised the Victory blade for use with modern defense. They said more spin, more 'disruption' than the other blades with long pips.

But only things to go on are thst email and a video on YouTube of a blocker hittingwith the Victory blade and half long classic rubber from them. Not at all a defender, but can see straight away it's very effective fit blocking with such rubbers. No throw height at all. Just straight. I really do wonder how would would fair when chopping with Curl P1r etc. Also, is it as good for attacking on forehand side with Hurricane as Joo blade, but controlled enough to chop.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2019, 01:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've actually got a couple of sheets of the old Leyland - they're mounted on one of the hand-made balsa/birch blades I made back around 1998-99. I got them from - what was it called - that table tennis dealer in Indianapolis - I think I paid $5 a sheet. It had the cloth backing. Maybe I should try removing them and moving them to another more appropriate blade (a Toxic 3 would be a relatively inexpensive option).

I guess one way to find out about the blade is to buy one and try it.. :lol: It's only money. Even if you decide it's not ideal for you, hey, at least you have one, who knows how long they'll be available.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2019, 04:45 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I've actually got a couple of sheets of the old Leyland - they're mounted on one of the hand-made balsa/birch blades I made back around 1998-99. I got them from - what was it called - that table tennis dealer in Indianapolis - I think I paid $5 a sheet. It had the cloth backing. Maybe I should try removing them and moving them to another more appropriate blade (a Toxic 3 would be a relatively inexpensive option).

I guess one way to find out about the blade is to buy one and try it.. :lol: It's only money. Even if you decide it's not ideal for you, hey, at least you have one, who knows how long they'll be available.

Iskandar

Get your hands on a hock, or a classic like the Bergmann or Barna blade etc. Some blade makers like the German guy who makes the Hawk have made pretty much exact copies of classic blades if you want a brand new one. My dad has a propernew Barna from him, so good to use with hardbat rubbers, but way too heavy for use with sponge. Then when paired with Leyland, it's a true hardbat. Need to play someone else with that equipment too though for hardbat feel. Very, very fun. There's no winner between defense abd attack, both balanced well. Obviously all Leyland rubbers are hardened with age now so a lot of people wrongly assume that's how they played but we can get an idea.

These Barna Original company blades won't work for traditional hardbat. Too light, that's if other stuff is in order with them. But I'm curious about them with modern equipment. Especially after using the Hawk.

We'll see.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2019, 21:21 
Super User

I'm going to put the Barna Original blade purchase to the side for the time being. Looks like the blade maker who makes the Hawk I linked in my first post on this thread can make a custom one to my preferred dimensions using the wood of the Hawk. Only potential issue here is thst he doesn't recommend placing the handle higher up, as will reduce spin potential, the reason I'm so into this in the first place. He said he can use a thicker core wood to increase thr speed so thst could end up solving my original issue with it. He will so raise the handle as far as whst my hand will touch, but part of the handke thst goes over thr blade will not actually touch the blade, if thst makes sense. Think I'll give it a go. I'm getting tons of chop with thr Joo blade, but even more chop is always welcome :).

I have no doubt the blade will be amaxing, as thr Hawk is truly outstanding. Whether thr flex will remain a problem for me personally, I don't know. I'll find out. Maybe I can fill the gap under habdke thst goes over blade if I don't like it...

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!