OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2023, 04:39 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
This thread has the purpose of sharing our equipment journey. Giving information about how long it was, how much rubbers and blades have you tried and used and what is your final or long-term racket. This is not related to the "equipment junkie" phenomenon, as I personally don't believe in such thing. We only try and search for the perfect combination, as we want our racket to be applicable to our technique and playstyle and not our technique and playstyle being applicable to the equipment. We might want to share our opinions and experiences about each combination we have used, why was it good or bad, why did we change and pretty much everything that comes to your mind.

I'll start.

First setup: Custom 5-ply allwood blade - Tenergy 05 FX (used) + Tenergy 05 FX (used) (it was okay to begin with)
Second setup: Korbel SK7 - Tenergy 05 + Tenergy 19 (it was good, but the 05 was too fast for me, the 19 was perfect, after two months I had two 19's)
Third setup: Innerforce Layer ALC - Tenergy 19 + Tenergy 19 (the best offensive setup for me, it was really good)
Fourth setup: Innerforce Layer ALC - Baracuda + Anti Power (changed to Baracuda because of the good reviews and lower price and to anti because of change of style)
Fifth setup; Cybershape Wood - Baracuda + Trick Anti (changed Anti Power to Trick Anti as it has more control, before that I had the Anti Power on the ALC for a short while)
Sixth setup; Cybershape Wood - Tenergy 19 + Trick Anti (will return to Tenergy, as I had to realized that Tenergy is the one I need, power, spin, control, durability, feel, I rather pay the extra amount than to struggle with the rubbers with varying conditions)
Seventh setup; Cybershape Carbon - Tenergy 19 + Dr. Neubauer ABS 2 Pro (too quick and hard to control... changed after 2 weeks)
Eigthth setup: Cybershape Carbon - Tenergy 19 + Der-Materialspezialst Scandal (better control, but still too fast)
Ninth setup: Cybershape Wood - Rakza Z + Der Materialspezialist Scandal (much better control, good speed)
Tenth setup: Cybershape Wood - Rakza Z + Rakza Z (reverted back to inverted backhand, eventually left the anti, since then I feel much better to be honest... this is the possible and ultimate setup I'm going to play with (unless something will be out of manufacturing))
Eleventh setup: Innerforce Layer ALC - Dignics09C + Scandal
Twelfth setup: Matador - Dignics09c + Scandal

This process of testing and searching took up a total time of 25 months and I spent around $2000 overall.

What about you?

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

Last edited by GregorTT425 on 10 Apr 2024, 21:39, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2023, 20:31 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Long time, and age may have fogged my memory. Maybe this is not the search you are asking for, but bear with me!

Late 70's, I got a premade "Stiga Pop", a rather heavy blade, "pyramid" handle (conical profile, square cross-section) with some long pips (hindsight: too long to be legal, I think). I used it for a year or so of club play, and did all right.

Early 80's birthday present was a Stiga "Alsér" premade with Mark-V rubbers, pretty much allround blade with flared handle. Had been a window expo item, so the rubber on one side had a narrow diagonal "fresh" area where the PROFESSIONAL sticker had protected it from the UV. Otherwise it was all sunburnt, slick and dead. Replaced that with a sheet of Butterfly Sriver, and used it for a couple of years, until at a training someone stepped on it and it got a pronounced "flex" (broken).

Mid 80's I bought a Stiga "Stellan" model, and discovered that a straight handle was perfect for me. Butterfly Tackiness D on both sides, max sponge. Used that for 7-8 years, until club was terminated and I found other activities.

Fast foward 15 years, moved to new place, married, kids. The kids want a sport and find that football is not the one they want. I join with a couple of other old players to revive the local TT club which has been dormant for 20-odd years, and after some time, by default, I become the coach. The Stellan blade with the old Tackiness is still with me, fresh enough to use for a couple of years.

My first conscious equipment choice, based on what I thought was lacking in my game, was a fast blade (Yasaka Synergy, balsa/fiberglass) with SP on one side (Friendship 802) and some inverted that I don't recall. May have been a sheet of Tackiness.

Slight digression:
EJ is real. For me it was not so much about finding the right equipment for me, but rather about learning about what was available, how/if the different materials differed, and what worked together. In my mind, at least, it was more about building knowledge in order to better advise the young players who joined the club.

At nearly the same time I came upon Eacheng and this forum, and there was another kind of synergy. I tried fast, insanely fast, slow, allround, with carbon, single-ply, balsa, plastic, short pips, long pips, medium pips, anti, tacky, the works. Learned a little. Most importantly I learned not to overthink the equipment part.

Back to journey:
My activity in this forum led me to be elected as a test subject. I received a prototype blade from Achim Rendler, 21 mm thick with inverted rubbers and a weirdly banana-like handle shape. That was a revelation, suited me perfectly, and is what I used for most of the time I played competition. The last event I attended, years ago, it was stolen. Wonder where it is now. (It is truly one of a kind, so I will recognize it easily if I ever see it again.)

With my current physical shape I thought that I need to slow down the pace to control the game. I received another blade, YinHe LQ-1, kindly offered for free from charmander defender. DEF rated blade, and I use Hurricane 3 and Friendship 802-40 rubbers on it. Only friendly exchange at the club now, and this setup fits nicely for me.

Most of the equipment was "laid upon me" without my feeling that I really needed it. When I made a conscious choice, most times it was because I didn't have proper equipment (broken/stolen) and had to choose. So, I guess that in my case it has been more of a journey, and less of a search.

Journey continues ...

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2023, 23:13 
Super User

keme wrote:
Long time, and age may have fogged my memory. Maybe this is not the search you are asking for, but bear with me!

Late 70's, I got a premade "Stiga Pop", a rather heavy blade, "pyramid" handle (conical profile, square cross-section) with some long pips (hindsight: too long to be legal, I think). I used it for a year or so of club play, and did all right.

Early 80's birthday present was a Stiga "Alsér" premade with Mark-V rubbers, pretty much allround blade with flared handle. Had been a window expo item, so the rubber on one side had a narrow diagonal "fresh" area where the PROFESSIONAL sticker had protected it from the UV. Otherwise it was all sunburnt, slick and dead. Replaced that with a sheet of Butterfly Sriver, and used it for a couple of years, until at a training someone stepped on it and it got a pronounced "flex" (broken).

Mid 80's I bought a Stiga "Stellan" model, and discovered that a straight handle was perfect for me. Butterfly Tackiness D on both sides, max sponge. Used that for 7-8 years, until club was terminated and I found other activities.

Fast foward 15 years, moved to new place, married, kids. The kids want a sport and find that football is not the one they want. I join with a couple of other old players to revive the local TT club which has been dormant for 20-odd years, and after some time, by default, I become the coach. The Stellan blade with the old Tackiness is still with me, fresh enough to use for a couple of years.

My first conscious equipment choice, based on what I thought was lacking in my game, was a fast blade (Yasaka Synergy, balsa/fiberglass) with SP on one side (Friendship 802) and some inverted that I don't recall. May have been a sheet of Tackiness.

Slight digression:
EJ is real. For me it was not so much about finding the right equipment for me, but rather about learning about what was available, how/if the different materials differed, and what worked together. In my mind, at least, it was more about building knowledge in order to better advise the young players who joined the club.

At nearly the same time I came upon Eacheng and this forum, and there was another kind of synergy. I tried fast, insanely fast, slow, allround, with carbon, single-ply, balsa, plastic, short pips, long pips, medium pips, anti, tacky, the works. Learned a little. Most importantly I learned not to overthink the equipment part.

Back to journey:
My activity in this forum led me to be elected as a test subject. I received a prototype blade from Achim Rendler, 21 mm thick with inverted rubbers and a weirdly banana-like handle shape. That was a revelation, suited me perfectly, and is what I used for most of the time I played competition. The last event I attended, years ago, it was stolen. Wonder where it is now. (It is truly one of a kind, so I will recognize it easily if I ever see it again.)

With my current physical shape I thought that I need to slow down the pace to control the game. I received another blade, YinHe LQ-1, kindly offered for free from charmander defender. DEF rated blade, and I use Hurricane 3 and Friendship 802-40 rubbers on it. Only friendly exchange at the club now, and this setup fits nicely for me.

Most of the equipment was "laid upon me" without my feeling that I really needed it. When I made a conscious choice, most times it was because I didn't have proper equipment (broken/stolen) and had to choose. So, I guess that in my case it has been more of a journey, and less of a search.

Journey continues ...

That's one way of looking at it and continue a search. A pretty long one, going through several years. I guess I'm happy with my two-years long search that will hopefully come to an end, as it is a pretty expensive experiment and pastime.

The wisest usually say that not the destination is the important, but the way leading there. It might true in some cases, but not this time. Here the destination is impotant, to find what suits you best, as always going on the way and trying out many rubbers and blades, you will never develop your game up to a better point, as your equipment is not consistent and you always have to adapt to another.

I know that "equipment junkie" phenomenon exists, I just don't agree with that. I believe it is important to find "The Perfect Setup For Your Style", if you want to be good. You have a style, you have possibilities is might suit and you have to find the most appropriate one. You know what they say, "who seeks, finds". Good luck with that!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 10:41 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
To cut on some typing, here is my post from 2015 (viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27372)
-------------------------------------

Quick note on equipment journey.

When I first decided to try the new style, the obvious question was: what should I use? I've read quite a bit, looked at people's signatures (very useful) etc. In the end, I went through 3 stages in a month or so.

1. "Let me try something cheap".

Since I figured that new equipment is likely very different from what I had lying around, first thought was to get something cheap and reasonable just to get a taste - after all I was not really sure if I would like it. So, after quite a bit of forum browsing, ended up ordering an inexpensive allround blade (Dawei DW2 ST) with Gambler Reflectoid 1.5 on FH and Air UpUpUp 0.6 on BH.

First impressions were:
* Paddle feels VERY light...
* Reflectoid, while an inverted rubber, is sure different from anything I used so far: blocking is easy, chopping needs adjustment and attacking is, well, hard.
* Playing with LP is not as easy as it looks: chopping is OK and feels natural, but everything else is not.

So, that did not go very well. I probably could've made it work, but I'd have to force myself. Next natural step was:

2. "Transform existing double inverted paddle into modern defense one".

Since I already had W6 blade sitting idle, I figured I'll keep FH rubber (Mars II ) since I was reasonably comfortable with it and put some LP on BH: came across some cheap deal for Palio CK531a on 1 mm sponge, so on it went.

This actually worked pretty well, I thought: it was more than enough to chop down folks at my level on both sides - and very few could get beyond second BH chop :), so I started to genuinely enjoy playing with it. However, stronger players laughed at my FH chops - not really equipment fault, since pros chop with Tenergy and all, but I'm not sure I would enjoy learning to chop with it for an extended period of time. Still, at this point I felt like I might stick with new style for a bit , so:

3. "Just get a well known setup"

Probably could've done it from the very beginning and saved myself a month of exploration, but was not sure back then if it was worth of an investment. So, eventually went ahead and ordered Victas Koji Matsushita blade with VS>401 in 1.8 mm on FH and TSP Curl P4 in 1.3 mm(?) on BH from tt-japan (highly recommended, btw).

Played with it ~3 times so far: the very first impression was - "Huh, FH chopping with this thing is EASY!". Second, VS>401 is very spinny, so serves are nice and so are slow loops. And attacking on FH, while not as effortless with JRE/Rakza7, is quite effective, which makes life easier. To be honest, so far can't tell much of a difference between LP performance between this and previous setup: I liked them both in that regard.

-------------------------------------------------------
Since then I explored quite a few other things (listing only the ones I played at least one tournament with):

Blades: Defplay Senso, JSH, Barricade Def, Sword 309, Nittaku Shake Defense, BTY Defense Alpha (current)

Smooth: AK47, T05, T05fx, Fastarc G1, Barracuda, Rasant Beat, H3 Neo (current)

LP (OX, unless noted otherwise): Scylla Sword, Dtecs, Curl P1-r(0.5), Dornenglanz, Cloud&Fog III (current)

I don't know if I found what I was looking for, but looks like I'm decently close to where I'd like to be in equipment space?

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2023, 00:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
If I ever get "there" I will let you know. Every equipment decision has its pros and cons.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2023, 17:52 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
After playing with Long Pips when I was a kid, i played a long time with a fast Andro blade with slow chinese tacky rubbers. (skyline II and III).
Never merged into the neo ones as they where to springy for my taste.

Than in 2018 I played with Long Pips again. I bought an Andro TP-Ligna ALL frame. Used my skyline FH rubber and had DHS Cloud and Fog II long pips 1mm.
Both rubbers didn't feel right. I wanted less sponge on LP, and faster FH because with LP on the BH the skyline was hard to get over the net :).
I moved to Viper 0.5 long pips and Andro rasanter R42 just from reviews.
It felt ok and played with it until end 2019. Than I moved back to regulair rubbers because I was to impatient with the LP.

I just changed my rubbers back to skyline but it never felt right anymore.
So I had to go back to a faster blade. Total weight was a bit heavy because i was used to the light long pip rubber.
I saw that Andro had a very light carbon/fibre frame. Andro Kanter FO.
First I tried the rasanter R48 and R47 but was to fast/bouncy. Than I used the R42 and it felt much better.
Ad the end off the season I changed my BH also to rasanter .. the R37. This combo I use until april 2023, the end off the season.

As I lost a bit off fun while playing I wanted to play with long pips again. Learn new things.
But not only for defend, I wanted to be able to attack with it as well.
I did research ...... tibhar d.tecs was a fast lp. So tried that on the andro frame. It was waaaaaaaaaaay to fast on that frame.

So i first bought a cheap 'set'. Spinlord first strike with battle II on FH and Sternenfall ox on BH.
This was way to slow.

Than I tried some all wood frames. I thought the Tibhar Pro Force Black Edition was a good option and not to expensive.
As I had Tibhar grass dtecs long pips I wanted to get a Tibhar FH rubber as well. Looking again at reviews I wanted to try the Tibhar Evolution.
I first tried out the MX-S.
The FH didn't feel right so changed to FX-S. This felt better. Played a few weeks training and matches but never had the 'right' feel.

So continued and bought the Butterfly Korbel SK7. Also wood only. As I had to order it online I though let's try tenergy 19 and 1.5mm sponge long pips. (why, why ..... this just costs money you donkey)
After 2 min it felt awefull. Could no hit a ball with the LP and the tenergy did exactly what I don't like.
SO I removed the rubbers and put the other combo on it (dtecs with FX-S).
The playing was much better and the feeling with the long pips and frame was much better. But it was so heavy ... the frame alone was 100gr while my kanter FO was 62.

So continue reading and looking at reviews I bought the Victas Koki Niwa Wood. It should be fast and lot's off control.
Well. it felt very, very slow compared to the other 2.

After even more reading and a gut feeling I bought the Andro Treiber FI.
When I got the frame and took it in my hand it felt save.
Complete different feeling as the butterfly (only meaning handle itself, not the weight).
Somehow I have good fits with Andro.
So i moved the rubbers and played with it. Within 15 min I had the perfect feeling. The FH felt good, no high arc and good control. LongPips I could control very well and attack with it.
Played a few weeks and did matches and this was it. So I ordered a second frame (i always have 2 equal frames for when you destroy one against the edge off the table).
I thought I needed to try the faster MX on forhand. But I had no feeling with it. Missed a lot but was playing agains someone with short pips on both sides .. so I had to give it another change.
But the second match it was awefull. I just had no feeling. Setting up high balls with the long pips but than to finish I hit it over the table, in the net .. i made so much mistakes. It didn't feel right.
third match I changed back to my FX-S frame and right from the gate it felt perfect. I could finish the higer balls and didn't miss everything.

So in july i have my current setup. I'm not somebody that will change very often so this will be it for a long time. So it took me a few month and a lot off money to find the setup.

And I know now that speed numbers or feelings with frame in reviews don't say much.
It also depends a lot on the rubbers you play. And the style you play.
They only real option is testing it out.

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2023, 04:59 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
To cut on some typing, here is my post from 2015 (viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27372)
-------------------------------------

Quick note on equipment journey.

When I first decided to try the new style, the obvious question was: what should I use? I've read quite a bit, looked at people's signatures (very useful) etc. In the end, I went through 3 stages in a month or so.

1. "Let me try something cheap".

Since I figured that new equipment is likely very different from what I had lying around, first thought was to get something cheap and reasonable just to get a taste - after all I was not really sure if I would like it. So, after quite a bit of forum browsing, ended up ordering an inexpensive allround blade (Dawei DW2 ST) with Gambler Reflectoid 1.5 on FH and Air UpUpUp 0.6 on BH.

First impressions were:
* Paddle feels VERY light...
* Reflectoid, while an inverted rubber, is sure different from anything I used so far: blocking is easy, chopping needs adjustment and attacking is, well, hard.
* Playing with LP is not as easy as it looks: chopping is OK and feels natural, but everything else is not.

So, that did not go very well. I probably could've made it work, but I'd have to force myself. Next natural step was:

2. "Transform existing double inverted paddle into modern defense one".

Since I already had W6 blade sitting idle, I figured I'll keep FH rubber (Mars II ) since I was reasonably comfortable with it and put some LP on BH: came across some cheap deal for Palio CK531a on 1 mm sponge, so on it went.

This actually worked pretty well, I thought: it was more than enough to chop down folks at my level on both sides - and very few could get beyond second BH chop :), so I started to genuinely enjoy playing with it. However, stronger players laughed at my FH chops - not really equipment fault, since pros chop with Tenergy and all, but I'm not sure I would enjoy learning to chop with it for an extended period of time. Still, at this point I felt like I might stick with new style for a bit , so:

3. "Just get a well known setup"

Probably could've done it from the very beginning and saved myself a month of exploration, but was not sure back then if it was worth of an investment. So, eventually went ahead and ordered Victas Koji Matsushita blade with VS>401 in 1.8 mm on FH and TSP Curl P4 in 1.3 mm(?) on BH from tt-japan (highly recommended, btw).

Played with it ~3 times so far: the very first impression was - "Huh, FH chopping with this thing is EASY!". Second, VS>401 is very spinny, so serves are nice and so are slow loops. And attacking on FH, while not as effortless with JRE/Rakza7, is quite effective, which makes life easier. To be honest, so far can't tell much of a difference between LP performance between this and previous setup: I liked them both in that regard.

-------------------------------------------------------
Since then I explored quite a few other things (listing only the ones I played at least one tournament with):

Blades: Defplay Senso, JSH, Barricade Def, Sword 309, Nittaku Shake Defense, BTY Defense Alpha (current)

Smooth: AK47, T05, T05fx, Fastarc G1, Barracuda, Rasant Beat, H3 Neo (current)

LP (OX, unless noted otherwise): Scylla Sword, Dtecs, Curl P1-r(0.5), Dornenglanz, Cloud&Fog III (current)

I don't know if I found what I was looking for, but looks like I'm decently close to where I'd like to be in equipment space?

Good luck with your journey, as it seems to continue.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2023, 05:03 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
If I ever get "there" I will let you know. Every equipment decision has its pros and cons.

You might be right. There might be no such thing as "The Perfect Combination", but something that makes you very happy to play with. This what we might consider "The Perfect Setup". Unfortunately, there is always the chance that other rubbers we are not using or have never used and will not use might suit use much better. The money is the most important factor, lots are bound by the money (so am I).

I've spent a huge amount to find what I'm looking for, so I don't have to spend in my entire life. But I always have the feeling, what if another rubber is better? The more I think, the more I want to try it and the more money I lose. I must not think of that.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2023, 05:04 
Super User

GarField000 wrote:
After playing with Long Pips when I was a kid, i played a long time with a fast Andro blade with slow chinese tacky rubbers. (skyline II and III).
Never merged into the neo ones as they where to springy for my taste.

Than in 2018 I played with Long Pips again. I bought an Andro TP-Ligna ALL frame. Used my skyline FH rubber and had DHS Cloud and Fog II long pips 1mm.
Both rubbers didn't feel right. I wanted less sponge on LP, and faster FH because with LP on the BH the skyline was hard to get over the net :).
I moved to Viper 0.5 long pips and Andro rasanter R42 just from reviews.
It felt ok and played with it until end 2019. Than I moved back to regulair rubbers because I was to impatient with the LP.

I just changed my rubbers back to skyline but it never felt right anymore.
So I had to go back to a faster blade. Total weight was a bit heavy because i was used to the light long pip rubber.
I saw that Andro had a very light carbon/fibre frame. Andro Kanter FO.
First I tried the rasanter R48 and R47 but was to fast/bouncy. Than I used the R42 and it felt much better.
Ad the end off the season I changed my BH also to rasanter .. the R37. This combo I use until april 2023, the end off the season.

As I lost a bit off fun while playing I wanted to play with long pips again. Learn new things.
But not only for defend, I wanted to be able to attack with it as well.
I did research ...... tibhar d.tecs was a fast lp. So tried that on the andro frame. It was waaaaaaaaaaay to fast on that frame.

So i first bought a cheap 'set'. Spinlord first strike with battle II on FH and Sternenfall ox on BH.
This was way to slow.

Than I tried some all wood frames. I thought the Tibhar Pro Force Black Edition was a good option and not to expensive.
As I had Tibhar grass dtecs long pips I wanted to get a Tibhar FH rubber as well. Looking again at reviews I wanted to try the Tibhar Evolution.
I first tried out the MX-S.
The FH didn't feel right so changed to FX-S. This felt better. Played a few weeks training and matches but never had the 'right' feel.

So continued and bought the Butterfly Korbel SK7. Also wood only. As I had to order it online I though let's try tenergy 19 and 1.5mm sponge long pips. (why, why ..... this just costs money you donkey)
After 2 min it felt awefull. Could no hit a ball with the LP and the tenergy did exactly what I don't like.
SO I removed the rubbers and put the other combo on it (dtecs with FX-S).
The playing was much better and the feeling with the long pips and frame was much better. But it was so heavy ... the frame alone was 100gr while my kanter FO was 62.

So continue reading and looking at reviews I bought the Victas Koki Niwa Wood. It should be fast and lot's off control.
Well. it felt very, very slow compared to the other 2.

After even more reading and a gut feeling I bought the Andro Treiber FI.
When I got the frame and took it in my hand it felt save.
Complete different feeling as the butterfly (only meaning handle itself, not the weight).
Somehow I have good fits with Andro.
So i moved the rubbers and played with it. Within 15 min I had the perfect feeling. The FH felt good, no high arc and good control. LongPips I could control very well and attack with it.
Played a few weeks and did matches and this was it. So I ordered a second frame (i always have 2 equal frames for when you destroy one against the edge off the table).
I thought I needed to try the faster MX on forhand. But I had no feeling with it. Missed a lot but was playing agains someone with short pips on both sides .. so I had to give it another change.
But the second match it was awefull. I just had no feeling. Setting up high balls with the long pips but than to finish I hit it over the table, in the net .. i made so much mistakes. It didn't feel right.
third match I changed back to my FX-S frame and right from the gate it felt perfect. I could finish the higer balls and didn't miss everything.

So in july i have my current setup. I'm not somebody that will change very often so this will be it for a long time. So it took me a few month and a lot off money to find the setup.

And I know now that speed numbers or feelings with frame in reviews don't say much.
It also depends a lot on the rubbers you play. And the style you play.
They only real option is testing it out.

Long journey. You are right, the only usable information you can get is from the testing. The written reviews are only semi-useful, as each review is individual and a matter of attitude.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2023, 11:49 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
GregorTT425 wrote:

Not really, I'm pretty happy with my current state. Impact of equipment exploration is somewhat overrated IMHO. ;)

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2023, 16:36 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
GregorTT425 wrote:

Not really, I'm pretty happy with my current state. Impact of equipment exploration is somewhat overrated IMHO. ;)

The nicest thing about that is that it is a matter of personal attitude, it is different for everyone. That's good if you are happy, I will be too soon. :D

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2023, 18:55 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
GregorTT425 wrote:
... Giving information about how long it was, how much rubbers and blades have you tried and used and what is your final or long-term racket....

1. How long - over 35 years

2. Way too many to list. Varied over the years as I started with SP's on my BH and inverted on my FH and then experimented, moved on to SP's FH and BH. Then back to SP's BH and inverted FH. Then tried various SP's (different sponge hardness and thickness/OX, chinese and Euro and Japanese), also some MP's and and LP. Short spell with Anti (very short spell :lol: ). Within that was a spell of identifying what top players styles I liked used and trying to copy them. Outcome of that was a realisation, equipment doesn't play the shots. You do. Best setup in the world is rubbish if it's used by someone who can't play. Now I select equipment to suit my style of play and as I don't play anymore, I coach, I use equipment best suited to helping me do that or I use whatever players I've coached give me when they've finished with them. I still keep other varieties / types of rubbers and make up bats to help players understand the strengths and weaknesses of different types of rubbers). Blades, many. From shop to custom built and back to shop. What I have learned is the blade is the most important part of my setup. Put the right rubber on the wrong blade and you've got problems.

3. Final long term racket. It's probably not final, but it has been long term. Nittaku Acoustic Carbon, FH Tenergy 05-FX (given to me by a very good player when they felt it had worn out and I'm still using it 3 years later as it does the job for my needs) and BH an old sheet of Tenergy 64. For multi-ball TSP balsa 6.5 (it's a bouncy setup which I don't like but it's also light which I do like for multi-ball feeding) with Andro Rasant powersponge on one side and Kokutaku Tuple OX on the other (just to keep the blade company on that side and for demo purposes of LP affect)

Interestingly you didn't ask about sponge thickness. That's something I've experimented with quite a bit, especially with SP's.

I really enjoy trying out different rubbers and blades for comparison purposes.

My advice. Understand your style and your game. What you like to do, how you like to play tactically and what you are good at. Not enough people who play competitive know that. Recognise your physical abilities too. Then choose equipment that suits you, compliments you and your game.

Do not copy the pro's. They are pro's for a reason. Ability, opportunity, luck and hours and hours of practice on and off the table. Any manufacturer that advertises a rubber as being for pro players is pandering to your ego. If that was the reality, they'd have hardly any sales because the pro's would be sponsored so wouldn't need to buy it or would have a huge discount and "jo public" wouldn't buy it because they aren't pro's. Beware advertising.

One of the great things this forum brought in was the review template. It was done to bring consistency to reviews. Someone who's only played with Lightening FX may consider it the fastest rubber ever made... until they've tried Juic Couga (that's how old I am :o ) and so it continues. And that's why I've posted here. Reading these answers to your question forum members will get a feel for who has used what rubbers and that allows at least a modicum of comparison to take place and opinion to be formed.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2023, 01:51 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Does it ever end? My equipment keeps on changing discovering new strokes and improvement on the old and basic and tested strokes. Better every week and better every year. Generally the improvements are just 5percent so by now probably improvement of 10 to 15 percent accuracy and consistency.

Don't expect equipment to do everything and with game improving and skills getting better need to look for the next EJ stuff [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2023, 03:09 
Super User

Debater wrote:
GregorTT425 wrote:
... Giving information about how long it was, how much rubbers and blades have you tried and used and what is your final or long-term racket....

1. How long - over 35 years

2. Way too many to list. Varied over the years as I started with SP's on my BH and inverted on my FH and then experimented, moved on to SP's FH and BH. Then back to SP's BH and inverted FH. Then tried various SP's (different sponge hardness and thickness/OX, chinese and Euro and Japanese), also some MP's and and LP. Short spell with Anti (very short spell :lol: ). Within that was a spell of identifying what top players styles I liked used and trying to copy them. Outcome of that was a realisation, equipment doesn't play the shots. You do. Best setup in the world is rubbish if it's used by someone who can't play. Now I select equipment to suit my style of play and as I don't play anymore, I coach, I use equipment best suited to helping me do that or I use whatever players I've coached give me when they've finished with them. I still keep other varieties / types of rubbers and make up bats to help players understand the strengths and weaknesses of different types of rubbers). Blades, many. From shop to custom built and back to shop. What I have learned is the blade is the most important part of my setup. Put the right rubber on the wrong blade and you've got problems.

3. Final long term racket. It's probably not final, but it has been long term. Nittaku Acoustic Carbon, FH Tenergy 05-FX (given to me by a very good player when they felt it had worn out and I'm still using it 3 years later as it does the job for my needs) and BH an old sheet of Tenergy 64. For multi-ball TSP balsa 6.5 (it's a bouncy setup which I don't like but it's also light which I do like for multi-ball feeding) with Andro Rasant powersponge on one side and Kokutaku Tuple OX on the other (just to keep the blade company on that side and for demo purposes of LP affect)

Interestingly you didn't ask about sponge thickness. That's something I've experimented with quite a bit, especially with SP's.

I really enjoy trying out different rubbers and blades for comparison purposes.

My advice. Understand your style and your game. What you like to do, how you like to play tactically and what you are good at. Not enough people who play competitive know that. Recognise your physical abilities too. Then choose equipment that suits you, compliments you and your game.

Do not copy the pro's. They are pro's for a reason. Ability, opportunity, luck and hours and hours of practice on and off the table. Any manufacturer that advertises a rubber as being for pro players is pandering to your ego. If that was the reality, they'd have hardly any sales because the pro's would be sponsored so wouldn't need to buy it or would have a huge discount and "jo public" wouldn't buy it because they aren't pro's. Beware advertising.

One of the great things this forum brought in was the review template. It was done to bring consistency to reviews. Someone who's only played with Lightening FX may consider it the fastest rubber ever made... until they've tried Juic Couga (that's how old I am :o ) and so it continues. And that's why I've posted here. Reading these answers to your question forum members will get a feel for who has used what rubbers and that allows at least a modicum of comparison to take place and opinion to be formed.

Yeah, I only asked for specific information, because I wanted to get the idea about what people are mostly trying or have tried.

Your opinion about pro's equipment and their copying is interesting, I don't know about that. The products pros are using are pro equipments for a reason, but if the average player can afford, why not? I mean, I'm using Tenergy and I can play with that quite well (suits my well) and I'm not a pro. Its expensive, that's true, but I rather pay some extra to get much extra.

Good luck in your journey.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2023, 03:11 
Super User

man_iii wrote:
Does it ever end? My equipment keeps on changing discovering new strokes and improvement on the old and basic and tested strokes. Better every week and better every year. Generally the improvements are just 5percent so by now probably improvement of 10 to 15 percent accuracy and consistency.

Don't expect equipment to do everything and with game improving and skills getting better need to look for the next EJ stuff [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

It never ends. No matter if you have found a combination you think is the perfect one, there will always be the chance you could have a better one and that won't leave you alone, unless you are really concentrating on not thinking of that.