OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 11:11 

I wonder if its even worth the weight if I have rubber on the backside. I don't think I'll be trying to learn RPB anytime soon (way too advanced for me right now). Worth the extra weight on the paddle even if I don't use it?

Too bad the Instinct and Instinct+ only come with FL handle, I wouldn't mind giving it a try if they had a cpen version.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 11:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
agooding2 wrote:
Cole always said the 6030 was quite fast, unlike the 6040 which was hard but medium speed.

Could be right, or perhaps he got a fast batch :lol: I'm not sure if i still have one at home, if i do I'll check it out...

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 11:23 

haggisv do you happen to know the weights of cream mrs and geospin? I can't seem to find anyone that knows the weights of these rubbers.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 14:49 

RayY wrote:
I wonder if its even worth the weight if I have rubber on the backside. I don't think I'll be trying to learn RPB anytime soon (way too advanced for me right now). Worth the extra weight on the paddle even if I don't use it?

You could start off w/ a trad'l penhold setup, which would be quite light. Just put a color sheet (the reverse color of your forehand) on the other side. Color sheets are cheap. Then, when you transition to RPB, you buy a 2nd rubber sheet.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 15:03 

haggisv wrote:
agooding2 wrote:
Cole always said the 6030 was quite fast, unlike the 6040 which was hard but medium speed.

Could be right, or perhaps he got a fast batch :lol: I'm not sure if i still have one at home, if i do I'll check it out...

The Zeropong site has 4 all-wood cpen blades. Interestingly, of the 4, the 6030L is given the best control (10) and the Mind Game is given the least (8). The Bomb and Dynasty Hinoki are given a 9+. They all seem to be offensive blades, which makes sense I guess.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 03:15 

I emailed Cole about buying a Galaxy 896 blade from him but it seems he doesn't have any of them left. He's recommending a Dawei Genote O or a Dawei Matrix (strangely he's out of the matrix blade too). There aren't any reviews on these blades. Anything else on the list I should be looking at?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 03:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

RayY wrote:
I emailed Cole about buying a Galaxy 896 blade from him but it seems he doesn't have any of them left. He's recommending a Dawei Genote O or a Dawei Matrix (strangely he's out of the matrix blade too). There aren't any reviews on these blades. Anything else on the list I should be looking at?

Both look like they'd be good blades, I'd go with the one that was thinner and lighter. Heres' a couple of brief reviews: http://www.tabletennisdb.com/table-tenn ... wei-matrix and http://www.tabletennisdb.com/table-tenn ... -quattro-o

You can also take up the suggestion to leave the back side bare and then put a sheet of rubber there when you are ready to learn the RPB stroke.

Or just put a light sheet of pips like Dr. Evil there for now.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 03:32 

well seems cole is out of the Genote O in cpen version as well. Any thoughts about getting a 729 Bomb instead?

My quest for the right paddle continues!

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 03:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

A teammate played quite succesfully with the Bomb. You should probably get your rubber thinner and slower to start with, like 1.5 instead of 2.0 to compensate for the speed.

Galaxy U-2004 might be another good option.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2009, 00:04 

I just picked up the last Galaxy 896 cpen from cole. Put Cream mrs on one side and 2.0 FX Super Soft on the other (if I'm gonna learn RPB in the future might as well get use to the extra weight but super soft is extremely light and it will help me with control). Its gapped 1/2" on both sides. I will post a review on the blade when I test it out. Thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 05:26 

Well I got my Galaxy 896 blade from cole today, with black cream mrs on one side and 2.0 fx super soft on the other side. I'm really happy with this paddle, Its a tad lighter than my butterfly senshu premade racket. I can't wait to try it out tonight at the TT club.

Here's my old paddle if you were curious...

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 08:20 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

What handsome blades! I hope you enjoy them!

Go out and play to your heart's delight! :D

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 14:28 

Beginner's Review:
I've used my Galaxy paddle for a week and half now and I can really see my technique improving along with some coaching of course, even won my first TT match even though I just started playing a couple weeks ago. I must say this paddle with cream mrs is the perfect paddle for a beginning player trying to develop a proper technique, its not too slow and not too fast. The speed is there if you need it, I must say it is the perfect looping blade. Compared to my old Butterfly Senshu premade racket, it is sooo much better. I aim for a location at the table with the galaxy blade, and it goes where I want it to, but with the BTY it goes in that general direction but not where I want it to. I'm not blaming the flextra rubber, its more of the blade. You can tell if you keep bouncing the ball with your paddle it should go straight up like the galaxy blade does, the BTY blade makes the ball go all over the place.

BTY Senshu blade with flextra both sides = $69.99 (premade cannot replace rubber must toss out whole blade)
Galaxy 896 blade with cream mrs and 2.0 fx super soft = $35.00 (can replace rubber if you like)

Do the math, Galaxy paddle = win and BTY premade racket = fail, not saying that all BTY paddles are bad just the premade paddles are.

I'll be sticking with this Galaxy for a long time to come, and when I do get better, it'll probably be a variant of the 896 like the Galaxy W6, or a Yasaka Extra. Thanks to all that helped me decide on a paddle. :D

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 21:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nice review. Top players will bounce a ball on the blade, if it stays in one place that is good, if it moves all around, that isn't. Yes, that's a good combo that will grow with you for awhile.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black