OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2007, 22:34 
Rubber Killer!

Was curious to try this rubber out, so heres my first impressions of it :)

Initial inspections and impressions

I thought Avalox was completely Japanese so I expected better packaging from them but never the less its the goods that count. The rubber is rated as medium/normal hardness by Avalox which doesn't mean much in my books. I would rate it as 40-42*, the sponge is vibrant orange and reminds me of the Palio CJ8000 Allround Sponges. In my view the sponge is quite consistent in hardness and thickness and the pores are quite fine, Impressed so far :). The topsheet again reminds me of a good CJ8000 topsheet with a duller tinge to it. Maybe theres something behind the scenes we don't know about. Overall the topsheet is perfect without any blemishes. The gluing between the topsheet and sponge is quite solid as well.

Hitting/ Blocking

Its ok here, I only managed to glue it 3 times before I tested it so its still not completely worn in yet. The sponge is quite hard and tops out a tad early due the hardness, no doubt further gluings will definitely improve this. Blocking is rather the same story, the sponge needs to be worn in.

Pushing / Chopping

Nothing short of outstanding here. Can do everything well with quite a decent amount of grip. Its easy to place the ball where ever you want with great control. Again this is typical of Chinese rubbers, so nothing special here.

Looping / Counter Looping

I found it great for looping even though the sponge is still quite firm. The thin topsheet and long pips give the rubber a high throw with some decent speed. Think of a H3 with a tad less spin and more ease of use, and thats the Pronte summed up in looping :). Counter looping is also quite good as well, the sponge is able to take quite a bit of pounding before it tops out.

Conclusion

At this stage the review is for its current playing characteristics. With further gluing this will no doubt be a great rubber!. I expect at least 15-20% more speed and spin once the sponge is worn in. It plays quite similar to a H3 but more easier to handle. Overall a great looping rubber as that seems to be the only area it shines in :). I'll see If I can do a update of the review once I've glued the banana's out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2007, 23:03 
I am Legend
I am Legend

you mentioned it's similar to CJ8000.
What are the differences between CJ8000 and pronte?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 00:34 
Rubber Killer!

To be exact.

The pronte reminds me of a Palio Emperor Dragon. The topsheet has the same distinct pip structure and the sponge is the same hardness and color.

Pronte vs Emperor Dragon = Both almost identical with the Pronte being slightly easier to use.

Pronte vs CJ8000 = The CJ8000 wins here as its faster and spinnier, but loses in quality control and consistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 07:39 
Super User

Hi LawOCG, Pronte comes in 3 sponge variants: soft, medium and hard, which one have you played? I played soft and it was superspringy, supersoft, and superfast. In these 3 categoriies it surpassed CJ8000 by far, CJ8000 is rather dull, slow, and medium hard. Pronte is maybe abit like a LKT Pro XP, but better control. It was around -- let me gess -- 35ˇ shore or even softer, so in no comparision to H3 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 09:16 
Rubber Killer!

Hey Klaus123

I have the Normal variant which is around 42 in my view. I can tell that the Pronte has some umpfh behind it but the sponge needs to be softened to really make it shine. CJ8000 is very inconsistent so it really depends on what you get lucky with. CJ8000 looping tension and speed tension are extremely fast on good sheets and slow as heck on bad ones. I still remain with my first impression that it needs to be glued more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 09:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the review LawOCG!

I've only just realised that the sheets are marked with 3 different hardnesses.... we were not aware of the options when we ordered so they seem to have given us some of each....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 09:59 
Super User

Hi LawOCG! I see that makes sense ... regards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 11:04 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

The Pronte review sounds very nice, seeing how it is similar to the CJ8000. I agree the Cj8000 is a great rubber, quite fast (especially the 50deg+++) :D
Shame the quality is so bad.

How is the weight of the Pronte?

metal monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 17:34 
Rubber Killer!

Surprisingly for a Chinese rubber with a fairly firm orange sponge it was very light. I don't have the exact measure in grams, but It would say its around the euro rubber weights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 23:13 
Super User

Woah, where the HELL did you get some SKITT Redstorm?! I wasn't even aware that it was on the market anywhere! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 23:38 
Rubber Killer!

Hehe.... thats just the thing. Its not on the market or the ITTF list at the moment. Another Exotic piece to my collection :lol: got my sheets through a buddy with connections. Finally a rubber that lives up to the National title 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 23:53 
Super User

Have you tried it out yet? Be sure to let us know what it's like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2007, 09:27 
Rubber Killer!

Hobbes wrote:
Have you tried it out yet? Be sure to let us know what it's like!

I've already tested both of them for quite a bit. The black is 39-41* and is tackier than the red. The red is 42-44 and is almost tackless but very grippy. The speed between the two sheets is clearly noticeable. The black is slightly slower giving a more powerful spin game. The red is just stupid fast, easily crunches past the speed barrier of the Inspirit quattro (supposedly fastest chinese rubber to date).

theres a huge catapult effect from the tensioned sponge. I'll report back Once I've glued it more heavily. At the moment I'm already very impressed with it as straight out of the packet it easily surpasses almost any Chinese rubber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2007, 10:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
When you say 'tensioned sponge', do you mean reverse tensioned like the sprungfeder?

I wonder if the sponge is chinese or imported to give it that much speed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2007, 16:51 
Rubber Killer!

haggisv wrote:
When you say 'tensioned sponge', do you mean reverse tensioned like the sprungfeder?

I wonder if the sponge is chinese or imported to give it that much speed...

Nopes, the tensioned sponge is like the Euro ones where the sponge doesn't curl up like a kebab. Both my sheets were almost flat. I'm not sure what sponge is under it, looks like the one from the NEW 729-2 in appearance but obviously not the same thing.