OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 21:28 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
leatherback wrote:
actually....the blade he is using here is the accessory signature blade that people would bring to tournaments to get professionals to sign ....he has it just sanded so it fits his hand as otherwise it is very uncomfortable.

ive tried it....the absolute slowest blade i have even heard of...

That's amazing. I've gotta try it. You you know anywhere that sells them?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 22:40 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
http://www.tabletennisstore.us/p-834-ch ... acket.aspx

that is the link to one similar.

i think he plays with a donic version although i cant find it right now...

he has it cut down and shaped to fit him as they are rather abstract :)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 08:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

actually....the blade he is using here is the accessory signature blade that people would bring to tournaments to get professionals to sign ....he has it just sanded so it fits his hand as otherwise it is very uncomfortable.

Jeeze, I have one of those, never even tried to play with it...I think mine is a Tibhar, what kind is he using....???????
tOD

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 11:56 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

theOldDuffer wrote:

Jeeze, I have one of those, never even tried to play with it...I think mine is a Tibhar, what kind is he using....???????
tOD

i belive its the donic verson....it has a very light coloured handle and ther blade is SUPER flexy, i can actually catapult things off it hahah.

when i tested it he had a donic L2 (severly treated...completely frictionless) and medium pips....

when i played him with this bad he beat me 3 out of 5 games and never attacked once...only chop blocked....in the videos he is using dtecs....

he still moves great for a 63 year old man!

he used to play trinidad national team along time ago and was the national coach for canada for a while

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 12:26 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Def-attack wrote:
Thanks alot Leatherback! And don't forget to thank Sun for sharing. Extreamly valuable info there... I would be very interested in learning more about what traning excercises he used to do when training against inverted players, lp players and with multi-ball. And it would be really great if he could demonstrate a few while you have your camera running :)

I asked him tonight, and he said that drills involving the use of one ball should be used to develop consistency, at least 15 of all types of shots and not too much mix up in the pattern.

typical loop training with one ball (consistency of at least 15 in a row untill you can move to the next stage)

beginner

forehand loop cross court to backhand corner block

forehand loop 2 in backhand corner 2 in middle of the table to opponents backhand

intermediate

forehand loop 1 in backhand corner 1 in middle 1 in forehand corner and back again to opponents backhand

forehand loop half table anywhere to opponents backhand corner

advanced

forehand loop 1 in backhand corner 1 in middle 1 in forehand corner and repeat (the corner to corner movement has to be insanely fast

forehand loop 3/4 of the table anywhere to opponents backhand corner

backhand is the same if you are training attack or active block

and any combination of the forehand and backhand...all to opponents backhand....all with 15+ consistency or drop it down a level

chopping or chop blocking

DO NOT VARY THE SPIN ON THE BACKHAND for training

beginner

sidewalk chalk on the table and draw a line with about 3 inches left at the very end of the table. your chopping should be the most consistent part of your game....say an average of about 25 to 30 in a row, and out of these 15 should land in the last 3 inches of the table. For chop blocking do the same except drop one short and one in the last 3 inches and then one short again in this pattern. this sequence is the most effective when playing opponents who are very good loopers as it moves them in and out and can hopefully draw a push which can be attacked.

the same applied for forehand chops

intermediate

same patterns as before except 2 to the backhand side and then 2 to the forehand side

advanced

same pattern as intermediate except one should be a counterloop

according to sun the most effective training is multiball because even though u may miss 50% of them, you still have to go for the next ball and this constant shot making is the best for muscle memory

multiball drills are very simple

do a sequence that puts you WAY out of your comfort zone

speed it up so that it is slightly faster then a real game

and MOST importantly, after every shot get back in your ready position and DO NOT guess where the next shot will go

every shot should be slightly further then you can reach comfortably.....

sun says that you do not train against a specific style unless you are practicing using a single ball against them, and that just comes with experience...

the "uncomfortable multiball" as i like to call it is the best way to train against all styles at once, because the feeder can hit any sequence of balls to break your rythm

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 18:56 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
leatherback wrote:
if you are using sponge on both sides of your racket then a wood blade is sufficient for any type of play, however if you are using no sponge, carbon is required to keep the racket stiff enough for sufficient power away from the table. Therefore, the reason he uses a Matsushita pro special is because he is using OX pips. all other choppers that use sponge should use stiff heavy all wood blades in order to keep power away from the table and not decrease feel from the carbon.

This is interesting and I've been thinking the same way for some time now, my Defplay doesn't really give me enough power but I love the feeling at that's why I haven't changed. However, the blades I've tried that's faster are all offensive blades with a normal sized blade face and I have grown really fond of the larger defensive size. The only defensive carbon blade I've tried is the Nittaku Shake Defense and although I lked it very much it was simply too big. I think it's time to cut it down do Defplay size and try it out then since I played very good defensively with that blade when I was using it, not so sure about the FH though. How does the NSD compare with the Matsushita Pro Special in speed? Do you guys have any other defensive carbon blade recommendations? Keep in mind that I'm more of a Åkerström type with both chop-blocking, chopping and an all out offensive FH.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 22:59 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

auzcar wrote:
leatherback wrote:
if you are using sponge on both sides of your racket then a wood blade is sufficient for any type of play, however if you are using no sponge, carbon is required to keep the racket stiff enough for sufficient power away from the table. Therefore, the reason he uses a Matsushita pro special is because he is using OX pips. all other choppers that use sponge should use stiff heavy all wood blades in order to keep power away from the table and not decrease feel from the carbon.

This is interesting and I've been thinking the same way for some time now, my Defplay doesn't really give me enough power but I love the feeling at that's why I haven't changed. However, the blades I've tried that's faster are all offensive blades with a normal sized blade face and I have grown really fond of the larger defensive size. The only defensive carbon blade I've tried is the Nittaku Shake Defense and although I lked it very much it was simply too big. I think it's time to cut it down do Defplay size and try it out then since I played very good defensively with that blade when I was using it, not so sure about the FH though. How does the NSD compare with the Matsushita Pro Special in speed? Do you guys have any other defensive carbon blade recommendations? Keep in mind that I'm more of a Åkerström type with both chop-blocking, chopping and an all out offensive FH.

bear in mind there is several successful defensive players that use slower flexible wood blades wood blades (matsushita pro)...koji matsushita..and two new japanese defenders masato shinono and miuchi kentaro. If you do not like to give up the table and stay there...then your defplay might be perfect....

i think that carbon is less important then having a STIFF powerful blade....carbon just helps the defensive blades that usually use softer wood to become stiff.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 23:25 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Well, the thing is that the Defplay is not stiff at all, it's very flexible. Matsushita, Miuchi and those guys are all using sponge and are much more focused towards defense. I will probably end up using Defplay in the end but I think I will give the NSD another shot after I've cut it down a bit.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 18:18 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
leatherback wrote:

Don't get a Joola autograph blade. They have two models. One is too small, the other is way too large. :(

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 14:32 

I have a new fascination with this style again thanks to the recent buzz brought up about Sun Jianfei.

Defplay Senso
Vega Pro 2.0
P1-r 0.6

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2011, 01:21 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I feel that my style is more and more developing in this way, chopping away from the table against stronger opponents (still with a very offensive FH) and staying at the table being more aggressive against weaker opponents. I like the feeling of OX also so *I don't want to give up that, I think I'm gonna study Sun a little more and focus more on my chopping to become safer. I've been going back and forth between blocking and chopping but I know that I have more potential as a modern defender, the problem is that I'm not as steady and I don't get as many easy points against weaker opponents when chopping.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2011, 09:21 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

My coach always tells me to drop the ball short, but i never can.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 23:36 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Tried CK531A yesterday for the first time on my new blade and it felt much better when chopping, I was quite a bit more consistent and could put more of my own spin on the ball. I had no trouble with balls flying too long if I hit it a little bit too fat, this is usually the biggest problem with my D.Tecs chopping. The downfall was the game at the table, CK531A is much more bouncy and grippy when you're trying to chop-block the harder attacks, I think if I want to play with CK531A I have to learn to block with "inverted" technique too to make it work at the table. Incorporating a LP flick into my game would also be very beneficial and is a lot easier with CK531A, IMO.

EDIT: Btw, did Sun ever receive those DVD's from his younger days?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 00:37 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

hes in china right now playing in the super league

he is back on the 8th

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 01:11 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Let's hope we get to see him in a video against Boll, Jike or another top player then! Probably a long-shot but you never know. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next