OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2011, 02:48 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

dwruck wrote:
Sounds a bit like the Pogo, less reversal but easier to use than Dragon Talon. Honestly, though, after about 5 months of using the Dragon Talon I wouldn't go back to something that's less disruptive but easier to use. After taking some time to learn how to use the Dragon Talon, I'm finding that it has definitely been worth the time to work on using and I am not only getting points from 2000 level players on spin reversal and deception, but my hitting is becoming pretty deadly.

There are a lot of players in the US who know how to handle LP blockers but not a lot who know how to return a hit with an LP.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2011, 07:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dwruck wrote:
Sounds a bit like the Pogo, less reversal but easier to use than Dragon Talon. Honestly, though, after about 5 months of using the Dragon Talon I wouldn't go back to something that's less disruptive but easier to use. After taking some time to learn how to use the Dragon Talon, I'm finding that it has definitely been worth the time to work on using and I am not only getting points from 2000 level players on spin reversal and deception, but my hitting is becoming pretty deadly.

Talon has been my rubber of choice, in OX, Red, for a while, but I have to admit that having the sponge was fun. Good on you with your developing talent in using Talon. Any new videos available.

Thanks,
Hope springs eternal in the heart of
theOldDuffer

Last edited by theOldDuffer on 09 Oct 2011, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2011, 12:18 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'll have to take some at whatever the next tournament is that I play in. Might not be until December. But my level of play has definitely gone up with improved skills, along with the changes to the Dragon Talon and Thor's inverted. Guys that used to just crush me a couple of months ago, I am now competitive with. Staying closer to the table has been a big key to improving my consistency with hitting with the pips and missing a LOT less pushes. I'm able to block and chop/block very effectively, and the improved attacking has taken my game to the next level. Having the tacky Thor's has been a huge bonus for both my loop and, especially, my side spin serves.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 08:40 

Had a chance to hit about 30 minutes with Cropcircles Black OX on OFF+ blade. First impression is that it is rather easy to control, moreso than Dragon but with less disruption. I will check it our further as I do not feel that it is anything out of the ordinary on first look, except I found it to work very well on chop blocks over the table.

USATT Rating: 1682

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 15:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
gdogg1 wrote:
Had a chance to hit about 30 minutes with Cropcircles Black OX on OFF+ blade. First impression is that it is rather easy to control, moreso than Dragon but with less disruption. I will check it our further as I do not feel that it is anything out of the ordinary on first look, except I found it to work very well on chop blocks over the table.

Thanks Gdogg. Looking at your sig it seems you've got very similar taste in LP as me. So I'd be interested in hearing your view on comparisons between cropcircles and pogo/talon/dornenglanz. Cheers.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 00:49 

Both Cropcircles and Dornenglanz are more in the "experimental" category for me at present. i will hit with each about one half hour each later today if possible. I really need 20 hours or so before I really feel comfortable with a detailed description.( the only exception to this has been the dornenglanz with which I played 14 matches at the Hock Open after only 1 hour of practice with DG..i described that in the DG forum discussion) I will report more on Cropcircles later. Pogo OX had been my main Lp for about 1 year prior to Talon. Pogo is truly, for me at least the most all around LP I have ever used..good at everything, great at nothing, weak at nothing. I use it when I want that "as close to frictionless feeling". Talon, on the other hand is the first LP with strong disruption that I have been able to get very aggressive with yet still be able to block with a very deft, soft touch as well. One of my goals is to effectively use LP OX on FH(ala Mr. Cooper from Atlanta, GA USA) I am no where near that yet(also want some disruption with the LP..not just a hitting LP) For that, I am believing that perhaps the DG will be my pilot LP...not great disruption but I can now use on FH sparingly. In spite of me being an EJ type, Talon, DG, and Pogo all in OX will be my main rubbers and comparision points.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 03:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

gdogg, that's a great profile pic, where did you find it?!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 04:25 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

dwruck wrote:
gdogg, that's a great profile pic, where did you find it?!

Google Images? Thats where I find everything.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 06:31 

Avatar from google images.There is also a Mickey doing a penhold serve.Not quite sure how he and other cartoon players adjust to a thumb and three fingers...maybe they have a new grip that will change the sport!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 08:05 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Ha ha ha, maybe you're right! Don't suggest that having less fingers could help...some desperate player is sure to consider cutting one off just to improve!!! :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 09:18 

Played with cropcircles about 45 minutes last night. Good news: able to get some wobbles and 2 practice partners said there was more disruption than DG but still less than Talon. Bad news for me: It seems I will need lots more hours as I was putting the ball everywhere but where I wanted to. I hope I will be able to get strong BH hits. I am more interested than ever to read what others have to post about cropcircles OX

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 20:52 
Super User

GIANT DRAGON Cropcircles

Color red
Sponge 0,5 mm
Mass, uncut 169 x 168 mm
Weigth, uncut 31 Gramm
Geometry horizontal
Texture none
Pips length x width 1.7 mm x 1.6 mm
Aspect Ratio 1.06
Spacing between the pips 1.1 mm!
Thickness of the bottom layer 0.2 mm!
Thickness overall 1.9 mm
Hardness of the pips (1-5) medium (3)
Grip of the surface (1-5) grippy (4)

Views to the data
The covering offers some characteristics that distinguish it clearly from other LP. The AR is designed so that it is hard at the limit, long and thin pips. Together with the very thin bottom layer, can be assumed that disturbing effects and reversal are high. Very striking is the relatively small distance between the pips, which also supports the grip of the covering despite the even pips heads. What I encounter rare with LP, is the great difference of surface grip and feel of the necks. The necks are clearly less grippy then the surface, although the heads are even. As a result, central played strokes are indeed spin-prone but can be played with the corresponding acceleration still very controlled. It is different from the tangential defense strokes. Since the less grippy necks provide less resistance to incoming spin, reversal might be very good. The very thin bottom layer also ensures that the pips bend significantly when tangentialy stroked, so this must enhance the effect of tangential defense strokes. The average hardness of the pips tells us that the covering ist suited for both defense and attack.

Short test at the maschine

DIS-Distance(93)
Pushing and chop block produce a flat throw. The pace is fast and the control is good. The ball can be placed very variable and especially half-long or short balls succeed very well. The lift and the flip can be played very soulful and controlled. The balls have a very good length.

BLOCK-Distance(94)
The side wiper is great. The reversal is very good and the control is high. Furthermore, the covering can be used very feelingly, which is also true for the blocks and the counter strokes. These have a good pace, a flat throw and again with a good control.

OFF-Distance (93)
Amazingly, the deeper played defense with little wrist provides much control. Since the ball is hit with this technique more centrally, the reversal is not as high. Surprise do the fast pace of these defensive balls. The driving strokes do not provide such a high pace but a good control. These are disturbing enough and returns can be attacked with the FH.

DEF-Distance (93)
The long defense is super safe. I doubt that there is a high degree of reversal quality possible and I give the bearer priority. Different it looks with the late topspin. The control is surprising and it has a very high tempo for a LP. The throw is quit high, which is great for a LP-topspin.

Conclusion(93)
The cropcircles is so far the best of Giant Dragon LPs. The Cropcircles has a higher level as a Dornenglanz and stands next to the Globe Mo Wang II as a top allround rubber. The covering is in all respects, very balanced and makes huge mood because everything seems possible. Using the 0.5 mm sponge I come along well. The thin upper layer (0.2 mm) probably needs a little sponge. The risk of pimples-fracture is reduced thereby and the sponge helps to dampen incoming high tempo better.

DMS Spinfire OX | STIGA Hornet | YASAKA Cobalt OX

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 21:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review, thanks martinspin! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 22:29 

Played 2 hours yesterday with cropcircles on Maxwood 7 and Ebony 7. Finally found the control I have wanted. Of note, brushing of the ball is really great with the cropcircles. Also, I found hard deep serves a brushing motion produced great results.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 00:52 

I played OX black and found chopblocking exceptional. Overall, I feel this rubber suits a passive game. Spin reversal is higher -- IMO, it's higher for Cropcircles than for Talon. Because the pips are so close together, the ball doesn't penetrate much into the shafts of the pips -- the pips don't bend much, and since the heads are smooth, I think you get a lot of reversal.

Hitting with OX was lousy. Talon is much better.

Cropcircles with 1.2 sponge, black, hits really well. (Timo boll spirit blade) Chopping is good. I don't like that I can't vary the spin much. With Feint 2 or 3 or Talon you can vary spin easier. But chops stayed super low. I found the speed pretty slow and controllable, (but I have to admit I was chopping with a 2.0mm 799 rubber just prior to that!)

At any rate, a good rubber. Will play some more with it. I haven't decided how it plays for pushing and short game, though I'm sure it's just a matter of learning its angles.

This rubber reminds me a lot of Donic Akkadi L2. Anyone else notice that? Looks almost identical and plays similar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!