OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: TSP Curl P-2
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 21:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
LawOCG has kindly let me try this rubber. Since our friend Greg Letts used this as his former favourite rubber, I'm very interested to try this too. Here is a closeup of the pips:

They pips look fairly long but wide with rough tips. The pips feel a little soft and quite grippy. Will review this as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 09:24 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

It would be very interesting to compare this rubber to Phantom 009.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 10:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'll try, but I suspect they'll be quite different... the P-2 will probably play much more like a short pip I think..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 11:41 
Rubber Killer!

I hope u have fun with both the pips Haggisv : :D

The Curl P-2 is a full length LP thats 1.8mm long pips I believe. The specialty lies in its ultra wide pips. Imagine tango ultra but the length of Long pimples. This is very unique as I have yet to come across anything like it. The pips themselves are hard enough for you to attack consistently. Also the pips are quite resistant to bending when faced with incoming spin. This allows spin reversal to occur, but just how much I'm not sure. It comes with the yellow sponge that is also apparent on the P-1R, just as hard too coming in around 45+ degrees.

Well the fact that Greg is able to chop with it on a Timo Boll Spirit should suggest that it isn't all that fast.

Give it a whirl and review it if you can :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 12:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I just had a bit of a hit with it at work. This rubber is OUTSTANDING for control! No wonder Greg liked it.

The pips feel a little soft and grippy, and the sponge very hard.
On the blade the rubber feels quite soft and the rubber fairly slow (but not Dr N type slow!).

Chopping against loops gave me great feel and control. I could return the ball short with a little or no backspin. The spin reversal is not that good for this rubber, but i still had some control over the amount of spin I returned. My opponent had all sorts of trouble reading what was coming back.

Chopping against backspin worked quite well too, and I was able to keep the ball very low, and had good control over the placement. it seemed to produce a little backspin, but not a lot...

Similarly on blocking, I had great control (and I'm NOT a good blocker!) and it produced mainly floaters.

Hitting it felt just like a short pip, and came off fairly fast, and it was quite insensitive to incoming spin. Attacking backspin it seemed to produce some spin reversal, at least enough to make it drop on the other end. This was easy and could be done with great control.

This is an excellent rubber for controlled attack or defence. Against heavy spin you can mix up how much spin you return, but don't have as much range as with some of the grippy long pips. It works very well close or away from the table. For those that rely on spin reversal or on a high level of deception from the pips alone, this is probably not the one for you...But for those that like to both attack and defend, and make it very awkward for many loopers, this is an great rubber...

I hope to have another go with it against some higher level players... and will report back here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 07:00 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Thanks! and a comparison to Chinese pips would be useful. I suspect that its not particularly sticky by Chinese standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 08:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Certainly not sticky, but fairly grippy. Away from the table it had the control and feel of 955, but not ability to vary the spin. Close is it had much better control, and attacking ability was almost like a short pip, although very little spin could be generated.

I does not really feel like a long pip because the LP effects are quite minimal. But for control it's fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 14:13 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
So were you able to create a heavy chop against topspin or was it more like a float or a light chop everytime?

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 16:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well with my natural LP chopping style it did not produce as much backspin as some of the LP I have used, in fact it mainly produced floaters. I suspect I'll have to adjust my chops a little to get more backspin...

I'll need to have a few more games against some good loopers to explore this one...

Post subject: Re: TSP Curl P-2
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 18:59 

Blade: JSH
FH: Barracuda 2.0
BH: Curl P2 0.5
let's give this LP a good bump...

Yesterday I had a practice session with the P2 in 0.6
I have played the d-tecs Ox for about 2 years now but I'm hoping to find a sheet with a higher level ofcontrol and more attacking possibilities.
this, of course, without sacrificing the defensive qualities :-)

As a test I glued two sheets on my Joo. One is de Piranja Ox (formula Tec) and the other is the Curl P2 0.6mm

First some comments on the Piranja:
... really good defense! Compared to the D-tecs I found that the amount of backspin was almost equal. My oponent (forehand attacker) could hardly re-loop my first chop. But what I really liked was the level of control I had with the Piranja, this was really better than with the d-tecs
... next I tried to setup some kind of attacking game with this pip but that was as hard as with the d-tecs. For me it too hard to attack with Ox pips

Now my comments on the P2:
... really not that much backspin in my chops but the low amount of backspin did cause more problems to my oponent than with my d-tecs. Note that my opponent was used to my d-tecs and would probably adapt his stroke for the P2 if we played for a longer time...
So I tried to put more backspin in my chopping game by using my wrist more. This resulted in some more backspin but this didn't cause any problems for my oponent. So I have to put more time into this. Good thing is that I'm able to vary the amount of backspin very easy.
... last I tried to attack with this pip and this is what really surprised me! D*mn that's nasty! The first 6 or 7 slow hits couldn't be returned by my oponent, these strokes are really difficult to return. I did give it a try on my forehand and it played like a short pip but it's by far more disturbing than any (short/long)pip I have played yet. Killing poor loops on my backhand was really easy and 100% deadly :-)

For now I will continue with the P2 on my bh and maybe twidle to kill weak returns on my forehand.

Please let me know if you have played with this pip. I wonder how it reacts in Ox or in 1mm and what your chopping experiences are

Gybe!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 08:22 
Super User

Where did you buy the P2 from? I thought TSP stopped making it.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 08:35 
Super User

I used P2 for a few months back then and found that the rubber is outstanding for for an all around game. Attacking is easy and with good control, blocking will produce a dead return and gives a hard ball to your opponent. Since I primarily chop, I tried to adjust my technique and was able to chop consistent, low and deep but the resulting ball would never be a heavy underspin regardless of how heavy a loop they give you. Basically, I played medium, medium, dead, medium chop to win but it was never satisfying so after 2 months, I sold it.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 09:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
LawOCG has kindly let me try this rubber. Since our friend Greg Letts used this as his former favourite rubber, I'm very interested to try this too. Here is a closeup of the pips:

They pips look fairly long but wide with rough tips. The pips feel a little soft and quite grippy. Will review this as well...

I have used P2 ox for a while but I found it too easy for higher level opponents to handle. There's no wobble in bumps whatsoever, almost acting like a medium/short pips. It's easy to attack but so are hardbat rubbers. The ball does sink somewhat after bounce, but not to the extent of most long pips rubbers when I execute the same stroke. The range of spin variation possible with this rubber with rather large pips is significantly smaller than what I look for in a LP rubber... That said, it can be an effective rubber if you play a very active attacking game as it's a lot easier to attack consistently. It's also easy to chop with it with good consistency, but again, most chops seem to carry the same amount of spin no matter what I did and my opponents could handle them easily. This is not the case when I switched to P3 Alpha ox. My opponents' levels were around 2150-2350.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 18:50 

Blade: JSH
FH: Barracuda 2.0
BH: Curl P2 0.5
@bvautier: Here in the Netherlands we can purchase this sheet at http://www.vrocosport.nl but maybe I have a second hand one available soon :-)

thanks for the other reactions. Indeed that's my concern too as I was not able to reproduce a lot of backspin myself. I wan't to give it another session with the robot to see whether it will improve with more wrist action.

@roundrobin: why did you switch to the p3 instead of for example the p1r?

cheers,

Gybe!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 19:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Gybe! wrote:
@bvautier: Here in the Netherlands we can purchase this sheet at http://www.vrocosport.nl but maybe I have a second hand one available soon :-)

thanks for the other reactions. Indeed that's my concern too as I was not able to reproduce a lot of backspin myself. I wan't to give it another session with the robot to see whether it will improve with more wrist action.

@roundrobin: why did you switch to the p3 instead of for example the p1r?

cheers,

Gybe!

For me, P3 Alpha ox was easier to block-chop at the table when needed than P1-R ox. P1-R is a bit more precise at chopping away from the table than P3 Alpha though. For my style P3 Alpha ox works better.