OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 14:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Does anyone know if TT tables need to be ITTF approved to be legal for competition and tournaments? Or is is like blades, where as long as they meet basic specs, they are legal?

I know there is a list of ITTF approved tables here:
http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=tables

However this does not automatically mean that tables NOT on the list are NOT approved... it may just mean that these tables have been confirmed by the ITTF to meet their specs...

We're looking at getting some tables in which are supposed to be ITTF approved, and DO have the ITTF logo on them, but do not appear on the list...

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 17:21 
I am Legend
I am Legend

It depends on your association. I suspect TTSA won't like you if you attempt to run an open tournament on non-ittf approved tables. Up here, I was told (by a TTQ board member) that we must have ITTF approved tables if we wanted to run TTQ tournaments.

Given that the state and national juniors, open, closed and vets shift around each year, if you don't have ittf approved tables TTA might pass you by.

We've got the qld jnrs this year. Cairns (stiga tables) has the aus closed (or was it open).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 17:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I agree with that... but my question is whether a table is ONLY APPROVED IF it's on the ITTF list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 18:53 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I suspect it's a yes, because TTA isn't about to go and verify them themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 22:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Haggisv are you intending on stocking on ITTF approved tables because your market will be clubs and leagues, or do you think these are the best quality? I play on my mates Stiga Triumph which isn't on the list, but for home play its fine. I am guessing the price of tables with the approval will be higher than those without, but for home users this will usually be fine.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 11:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes i agree, the cheaper Stiga tables are fine for most of the home market, and since the big stores carry these, it's not worthwhile for us to carry them...

But some more seriosu players and some clubs would want something better, with a thicker wood layer, so we're considering carrying these...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 12:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I can see you thinking. Just take care as Rebel Sport have started to advertise high quality tables in the stiga range rather than just cheaper models. They had one that was $1200 reduced from about $1500 and other prices down through the range.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 12:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks for the tip :thumright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 12:46 
Super User

Happy New Year Alex et al.

Quote:
However this does not automatically mean that tables NOT on the list are NOT approved... it may just mean that these tables have been confirmed by the ITTF to meet their specs...

This is exactly what it means.

ONLY ITTF approved tables, with the logo, can be used for competition/tournament play. There's quite a few of them on the market now (ITTF loves getting all those approval feees), JOOLA being the company with the most approved tables.

Its true Rebel now sell the ITTF approved Expert Roller for what I consider to be a very cheap price for a German-made tournament-quality table.

It wasn't reduced from $1500.00 though. It's never been that expensive. The RRP is actually $1195.00.

Last edited by Geoff on 08 Jan 2008, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 12:47 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I reckon the cheap stiga tables CST supplies Rebel with have a completely different bounce to the more expensive 21 and 25mm stiga tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 12:51 
Super User

Silver wrote:
I reckon the cheap stiga tables CST supplies Rebel with have a completely different bounce to the more expensive 21 and 25mm stiga tables.

There are no 21mm tables. Yep the bounce is different due to different top thicknesses and quantity of paint layers and quality of paint used.

The ones Rebel sell are all 12mm or 16mm, except of course for the Expert Roller. And the Family Outdoor is 3.5mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 13:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Geoff wrote:
Happy New Year Alex et al.

Quote:

This is exactly what it means.

ONLY ITTF approved tables, with the logo, can be used for competition/tournament play. There's quite a few of them on the market now (ITTF loves getting all those approval feees), JOOLA being the company with the most approved tables.

Cheers for the info Geoff!

Happy new year to you too mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 15:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Geoff I got a Rebel catalogue just before Xmas and it had a table in there that was $1299 reduced from $1499 I'm sure, as I thought how expensive it was for a TT table. I also went to Rebel around this time and they had a massive sign out the front with $1299 on it. Can't recall table details and have pitched the catalogue now. I'm guessing its the one you're referring to. Perhaps the price was different in different states or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 15:25 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Geoff I got a Rebel catalogue just before Xmas and it had a table in there that was $1299 reduced from $1499 I'm sure, as I thought how expensive it was for a TT table. I also went to Rebel around this time and they had a massive sign out the front with $1299 on it. Can't recall table details and have pitched the catalogue now. I'm guessing its the one you're referring to. Perhaps the price was different in different states or something?

Put that down to marketing spiel :wink:

It was the Expert Roller.