OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 11:27 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

From the very start, this whole issue has smelled like some sort of insider deal to create a profitable monopoly in TT ball manufacturing.

IMHO this never appeared to be being driven by the best interests of players. Whose best interests does that leave?

It also seems a strange co-incidence that two TT ball scientists would randomly meet and marry... I wonder whose work the patent really was?

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 10:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Apparently FIT's lawyer says ball manufacturers are subject to "enormous legal disputes and litigation" if they go ahead with the new ball. The ITTF has not responded to the lawyer's findings. 2014 implementation date looking shaky.

Just recently, Adham stated that there is no patent issue, which turned out to be about as true as his claim about a worldwide celluloid ban, his claim that limiting Olympians to two per country is not about China, his misrepresentation about his role in TMS International, etc. In fact, we're still waiting on an explanation about the missing $20 million that the ITTF membership has apparently given him a pass on.

What a sport! :^) :^) :^)

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 11:35 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I'm very confident the plastic ball and size increase will never happen. Let alone in 2014. The whole idea has totally stalled and the ITTF haven't mentioned it in months and months. In fact they have been unusually silent altogether. Don't want to shake thing up any further I guess. They were dangerously close to being replaced by a new controlling body the way they were going Indy car style. Formula one came close to the same thing happening a few years ago when they pissed off the teams too.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 11:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Shoebox9 wrote:
From the very start, this whole issue has smelled like some sort of insider deal to create a profitable monopoly in TT ball manufacturing.

IMHO this never appeared to be being driven by the best interests of players. Whose best interests does that leave?

It also seems a strange co-incidence that two TT ball scientists would randomly meet and marry... I wonder whose work the patent really was?

I agree. This has stunk from the beginning and makes absolutely no sense. I disagree with many decisions over the last 15 years but at least can see a reason for most. There is no obvious reason here so corruption or money must be involved.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 11:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
foam wrote:
I'm very confident the plastic ball and size increase will never happen. Let alone in 2014. The whole idea has totally stalled and the ITTF haven't mentioned it in months and months. In fact they have been unusually silent altogether. Don't want to shake thing up any further I guess. They were dangerously close to being replaced by a new controlling body the way they were going Indy car style. Formula one came close to the same thing happening a few years ago when they pissed off the teams too.

I think you are right in regards to the plastic ball. I am not wasting my time on any plastic till others adopt it.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 17:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
From Larry Thoman
Source: http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.asp ... &tid=34798
Quote:
Got an email from FIT updating me on the patent issue surrounding the poly ball. FIT hired an attorney to evaluate the poly ball patents worldwide and provide an opinion on whether FIT members would be subject to patent infringement lawsuits if they chose to produce non-celluloid balls.

It was the judgement of that attorney that indeed companies who produce, sell, or distribute non-celluloid balls in the countries protected by those patents--Europe, US, China, Japan, and possibly Korea if it approves the patent application--could be subject to "enormous legal disputes and litigation". Therefore, the attorney recommended that FIT members restrain from the sale of non-celluloid TT balls.

FIT will have meetings at the European Championships and World Cup to discuss the legal findings and what actions to take. But unless something happens pretty quickly to resolve this matter of patent infringement, my guess is that the ITTF will have no choice but to delay implementation beyond 7/1/14 as no manufacturer is going to take a chance on producing the new balls if they are likely to be subjected to patent infringement lawsuits as soon as they do.

The lawyer also stated there was an easy way to circumvent the patents if it was possible--simply include a small amount (he suggested 5%) of celluloid in the plastic formulation for the new balls. Whether that is possible or not, I haven't heard, and the lawyer's report does not address that possibility.

The report also said that a German Company--Weener Plastik GmbH--has challenged the European patent on grounds of insufficient disclosure, inadmissible extension beyond the content of the application as filed, lack of novelty, and lack of an inventive step. Such legal actions typically take several years to resolve, but in the lawyer's opinion, he believes that Weener will ultimately prevail.

Lastly, the lawyer contacted ITTF about his findings and to get a reaction to the problems noted therein. And--surprise, surprise--the ITTF has not responded.

Larry

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 23:55 
Super User

foam wrote:

I hope you are right, but I suspect that you are wrong. Statements in the original FIT letter praised the new poly ball when doing so was not really necessary or even pertinent to the issue. I think FIT is actually strongly behind the ball change. And without any strong opposition (and pointing out inconsistencies and errors on various online forums isn't really strong opposition) I think the ITTF and manufacturers will have their way. I have yet to see or hear of even one national association show anything like strong opposition to this change.

I suspect ITTF hasn't mentioned it in months because they are quietly doing the things to make it all happen. Wouldn't it be "funny", if the ITTF ends up buying the patent rights that are the current holdup?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2013, 08:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

wturber wrote:
Wouldn't it be "funny", if the ITTF ends up buying the patent rights that are the current holdup?

Yes funny and sad at the same time... there would certainly some questions about 'conflict of interest', but that would not be the first time either. :oops:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 11:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Does anyone have a link to this patent? (For the patently curious, like myself...)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 21:36 

iskandar taib wrote:
Does anyone have a link to this patent? (For the patently curious, like myself...)

Iskandar

Here we go !
US patent
EU patent

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 22:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thank you lecridupongiste! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 20:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr. Kuhn's resignation or dismissal ??

After his prolonged 12year tenure on ITTF stuff as the Chief of Ball's Affairs. the notorious official just took his departure with no public promulgation.
At least 100.000€ royalty per year should be a very good remuniration to him for the departure undertaken.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... d5sqr5Q8Ig

ADD: This article text conversation as made by a human translator.

http://www.chinadailyasia.com/special/2 ... 80836.html

Last edited by igorponger on 08 Feb 2014, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 20:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Very interesting article, thanks igorponger! :up: It's little hard to understand with the poor translation.

Who is it that has departed? When did this happen?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 01:44 

Kuhn departed and gave no reason it seems.

I liked the last part...It only makes a big problem.

That seems the gist of it all. Patent rights for Kuhn seems to be the big hurdle. But seems there may be a big and costly fight over the patent if brought to US courts?

Kind of feels weird to have my name mentioned in the article too.

EDIT: got on my laptop instead of phone and see the article is from July of 2013.

So..I'm now supposing all the patent stuff got ironed out as I would of doubted that DHS/Double Fish would of sought ITTF approval if they couldn't produce the poly ball with patent rights not figured out.

What a shame.. all of this non-sense..for nothing...err... for the ITTF and manufacturers to gain some :cash: :cash: :cash: :cash:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 10:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just read the patent. If the new balls are PVC they're not covered by the patent.

What a strange patent. Most I've seen are full of drawings, this one has none. This one is a mixture of vagueness (about manufacturing aspects) and specificity (in a way) about materials. Where measurements are mentioned they simply echo ITTF's specs (other than allowing balls up to 50mm).

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next