OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 16:15 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Has anyone ever afraid of losing the grip of the blade when smashing a high ball with sweaty hands?

I actually did once when I was in college playing during summer in a hot room. With sweating hands, I was trying to finish a medium high ball when the blade suddenly slipped out of my hand and flew across the table and hit my opponent on his shoulder.

Currently, I have all my blade handles rapped with tennis overgrips for several reasons.
1. It is very comfortable and my hand is cushioned by the soft touch, saving my joints in the fingers.
2. It does not hinder twiddling at all.
3. Most importantly, it prevents the blade from flying over to your opponent.

I am currently using Technifibre overgrip on all my blades. Kind of wonder if you folks had the same problem and if you do, what did you do to solve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 16:27 
I am Legend
I am Legend

previously with shakehand, i found that as long as you didn't varnish the handle it was fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 17:31 
Super User

I am never afraid of losing the grip of the blade. I don't smash that often so I guess that's a bonus in that sense.

Visit my table tennis blog now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 17:46 
Pants Grabber

well, i'm not too concern abt launching my blade during a smash.
i believe most player will grip tighter for this move

its more likely tat blade will slip (wz sweaty palm) when u use the service grip.
once, i catapult my blade into my groin while doing a pendulum serve with the
intention of imparting serious down spin.

.....ouch! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 18:48 

I've got a friend who uses tennis grip tape, but i don't like the feel of it...

I'ev thrown mine a few times, but like Yuna said, for me it's usually in relation to the serve, specifically going to loop a quick return off one of my serves before i'd properly set my grip back to normal...

Besides, while accidentally hurling your bat at an opponent isn't great for your blade, a little mid-game intimidation never hurts :D
...well not you anyway ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 20:44 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I did loose my blade one time. It wasn't after a smash or loop. It was after I lost a game and I launched it acrossed to gym and into the 10th row of the bleachers. I know, not smart. Damn that was a nice blade. Grubba Pro. Funny how many pieces a paddle can turn into when it hits something hard. To say the least, the wife was NOT happy. I don't think I will do that again.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 21:02 
A Beautiful Brain

I use and have used for many many years grip that comes in a roll...Its like a gauze that is tacky and it sticks to itself and once in place the end sticks firmly to itself and blends into the rest of the tape...

It is also tacky to grip, and if there is any way to stop me from gripping the handle to tight I would (and do) do it...

I have found that if the handle is left bare, its too thin for my hands...ie built for Chinese hands, and I have to grip it tight enough to influence the smoothness of shots I make....

There is no way I can apply the "soft enough so you don't let a Budgie fly off...or soft enough like you are squeezing a full tube of toothpaste" without Gauze and it stops the blade from flying down the end of the table and possibly taking someones head off...lol...of course the gauze deals with sweaty palms very easily.

The rolls of gauze cost about $6.00 and do many applications of 2 layers of gauze after the grip is built to the correct size...I re do the 2 layers every few weeks...

fosss

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 21:06 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I have only wrapeed the head heavy blades - most notably the BTY VSG 1000. Even with tape, it could still fly out if the grip is too loose. I would prefer ventilating the oppenent with 40 mm holes over flinging the blade at him like it is a ninja star... (no pun intended PPN)

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 21:44 
Super User

I use badminton overgrips since they are thinner. Typically I use them only on heavier setups (esp. head heavy ones), with light ones I prefer more flexibility on the grip, and wrap only the upper end. Grip flexibility is actually pretty important from my exp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 23:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I had a similar thread not so long ago Tat and its interesting the difference in answers being produced (although some may be similar still).

I too have had the experience of hoiking my bat after going for a smash when I played with my old BTY bat. It had the older style shorter grip where the slight flare that it had was not enough to prevent it from going when the hands got wet enough. It was a tough blade though. I think since my return to TT last year I threw it twice before deciding to put a grip on it. I got one similar to the TSP one they sell in the shop here, except I paid more for it and got it from a US ebayer as I hadn't discovered this place at that time. They're a nice grip actually. Just enough padding to make it comfy, and just long enough to nicely cover the handle. Considering getting another here when I can manage to place another order, whenever that may be.

I like the feeling of a good wooden handle and have decided polying the handle doesn't make it feel all that great, even if it protects it. The nice flares they have these days gives me a positive enough hold not to worry about throwing it. But there is a lot to be said for having the grip tape on it still.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 23:26 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

I am glad to hear some of you folks out there did wrap the handle with something. By the way, I was holding the blade the Chinese way.

Although there are many tennis grips out there, however, like everything else in our life, some of them are much better than others, and this Technifibre overgrip is one of the best in the market. Of course, I borrowed that from my tennis playing son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 01:34 
Super User

I would be scared if my bat flew across the room because it would probably break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 03:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I use a tennis overgrip mainly to make the handle of my Viscaria a little larger. I love the feel of that blade, but the handle must be made for 13 year old Japanese girls, or something. I wouldn't use the stuff if the handle had the nice heft of, say, the Nittaku KV series, or my old Schildkrott VMax, or the Hurricane King, or any number of others.

I have never lost hold of my racket, even in Houston's humidity. That's not to say that once or twice I didn't want to chuck the damn thing into the ocean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 03:18 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Baal wrote:

I have never lost hold of my racket, even in Houston's humidity. That's not to say that once or twice I didn't want to chuck the damn thing into the ocean.

Ha Ha, we all have that feeling one time or another. I have actually broke 6 brand new tennis rackets in my short tennis life, the ground is a lot closer to the tennis racket than our table tennis blade, and I don't want to damage my precious table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2008, 07:20 
Super User

I would be really annoyed if I damage by bat, seeing as it's new and all, so I play as safe as I can! :wink: