OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 13:24 

friendship 802 is very good and controlable rubber.more deceptive is dhs 651 but only in 2mm.spectol is better for 40+ balls

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 18:18 

irenic wrote:
If you play from mid-distance pips aren't nearly as effective. The most effective stroke/shot-variations are when the ball comes up off the bounce into the pips at some angle. Like the SP block, where you can take off spin with more subtle and easier motion than with inverted.

Usually my points with the pips are made close to table. When I'm at mid-distance, I tend to mainly use my forehand topspin to win the point.

dariowai wrote:
friendship 802 is very good and controlable rubber.more deceptive is dhs 651 but only in 2mm.spectol is better for 40+ balls

I'm gonna take a look at that because we play with 40+ in our championship. How about the control and speed of both rubbers in comparison to my actual one?

New/alternative/fun equipment:
coming soon

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 18:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Spectol is slightly faster than 802-40. Friendship 799 is slower. But speed indications don't mean much when you play close to the table, as you must. Most medium or short pips have enough speed to win the point with it. Very fast short pips need to have very much grip (and are less disruptive because of it) in order to produce enough topspin to get the ball on the table. Classic short pips like Friendship 802 are slower, but still fast enough, and much more disruptive. I would not advise a very fast medium/short pips for your backhand, since you indicated it is a bit of weakness. Very fast rubbers are for your good side.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 13:17 

802 has more control than dhs 651 but this one is deceptiver.spectol is a classic with good speed without loose control.i tried in dhs cw-e against a looper youth and allmost all blocks land in table with some deception

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2015, 21:35 

Kees wrote:
Spectol is slightly faster than 802-40. Friendship 799 is slower. But speed indications don't mean much when you play close to the table, as you must. Most medium or short pips have enough speed to win the point with it. Very fast short pips need to have very much grip (and are less disruptive because of it) in order to produce enough topspin to get the ball on the table. Classic short pips like Friendship 802 are slower, but still fast enough, and much more disruptive. I would not advise a very fast medium/short pips for your backhand, since you indicated it is a bit of weakness. Very fast rubbers are for your good side.

Thanks for the info!
Yes, you're right. I prefer having pips on my backhand that give me control during my shots (block, push, attack, etc.) rather than full speed. If I want to play a stronger and faster/spinnier stroke, I move and attack with my forehand topspin.

dariowai wrote:
802 has more control than dhs 651 but this one is deceptiver.spectol is a classic with good speed without loose control.i tried in dhs cw-e against a looper youth and allmost all blocks land in table with some deception

Spectol might then be too fast for me. The dhs one seems interesting. The block is done with an open racket?

Other question, what about the thickness? What do I get if I use less or more sponge?

coming soon

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2015, 23:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Less sponge means less grip, which below 1.5 mm means less easy to handle actively, but you get more disruption. Less sponge also means somewhat less speed. More sponge means more grip, up to 2.0 mm it means easier to handle actively, but over 2.0 mm you will lose some control due to the increased catapult. More sponge also means less disruption, but you won't notice that until you get over 1.8 mm and even then disruption will be there on flat hits and fast blocks.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 09:42 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Kees wrote:
Less sponge means less grip, which below 1.5 mm means less easy to handle actively, but you get more disruption. Less sponge also means somewhat less speed. More sponge means more grip, up to 2.0 mm it means easier to handle actively, but over 2.0 mm you will lose some control due to the increased catapult. More sponge also means less disruption, but you won't notice that until you get over 1.8 mm and even then disruption will be there on flat hits and fast blocks.

Clarification,

For flat hit,

This may hold true for “active” sponge like the one behind Tenergy.

This hold otherwise, thicker actually slower, for dampening sponge like behind Tackiness Chop. :)

For brush looping,

Of course thicker sponge feel faster than thin sponge, it grip tighter. :)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 07:25 

Thanks for the clarification!
So I might have a good thickness for both, deception and speed.

Still trying to improve my strokes/technique with my short pips. I've found some videos but more about short pips being used on forehand..
Sometimes, when my opponents plays a fast topspin, it's really difficult to block the ball back..

coming soon