OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 14:27 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Well, this is not a full review, but I can't wait to tell you guys that MAY BE, I have found my blade, I think, until the next temptation lures me away.

The blade finally came and I had Paddle Palace glued Hammond X 2.0 on FH and Pimplemini 1.6 on BH. Apparently, they didn't do a good job gluing the rubbers, the perimeter of the Pimplemini around the blade was not attached, I had to redo the gluing myself. After 15 minutes of hit, I can't control the Pimplemini 1.6 (way too bouncy, wish I had 1.0 or 1.3 instead). So, I replace the Pimplemini with my beloved Long A 1.1.

The blade is light, said it weights 85 gram, but feels lighter than that. It is a very fast blade with OFF++ class, speed is rated 98 and Control is rated 73. Extremely thick core of Balsa with one pile of thin wood (don't know what it is called and was not shown in the description) covering a thick balsa, total thickness is 13.3 mm.

Paddle Palace has this detailed description:

"The Joola R*1has an extremely thick Balsa core and a semi-large handle. Despite of the extremely high speed, it provides a totally new, controlled playing feeling. The duration of the ball contact is considerably longer than with conventional blades--the ball, so to speak, buries itself into the blade. This provides excellent ball feeling. Attacking players, especially who play with safe topspins, particularly appreciate this blade. Moreover, despite the speed, it is also well-suited for long pip players.-the dreaded ball disturbancy of the "flap" effect can be played with great control."

I had a hit this morning, and wow, I instantly fall in love with this blade. Every word that Paddle Palace wrote about this blade is true plus more.

Someone informed me that Balsa blade is good only in blocking. Since I am anot a blocker, I was worry that I will waste another $73. But no, this blade can do it all. Because of the light weight, it is more easy to maneuver, that split second make a lot of difference for blade readiness and preparation.

My FH chop went lower, faster with very good control. I especially like my "pop" shot with this blade( a fast wrist only flat hit on incoming top spin ball, barely clear the net with speed and without too much top spin, totally screw up the timing), the speed of the ball is faster than the ones I played with KVT. Top spins and loops are good too, but I really really like the flat hit.

On the BH side, whatever KVT can do, R*1 did it better with more power and speed. Chopping is relatively easy with good control. As some of you already know, I attack with long pips on my back hand. This R*1 provides me with more power and control. Now, if I only know how to block better, then it will be perfect.

Overall, I LOVE this blade and I might not have to switch blade for a while.
At least, my quest for the perfect blade, the perfect back hand long pip and the perfect forehand invert rubbers are all in place and I can concentrate more to play than keep searching.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 14:37 
Super User

Are you perhaps going to be selling that sheet of Pimplemini then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 14:39 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

I might, are you interested?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 18:18 
A Beautiful Brain

Tat...this is exactly what I was and have been saying since I bought my Balsaplus blade which has all the gears...from touch to extremely fast due to the unique structure where the thick balsa core is not a veneer , its an offcut and the annular rings act as mini compression springs that come to life with firm to hard hits, as the ball sinks through the rubber and foam I use...
I am wondering if the Joola R1 is similar in construction to mine and that might explain the OFF++ rating, just as mine is rated...and believe it or not, in the fraction of a second that the ball is on the blade when hit fast(or any time for that matter), I can feel the ball compressing the "annular ring compression springs" as the blade does its magic..
My 1st bladed after joining this forum was a Wavestone, which was actually a better blade than the butterfly carbons and wood that I had, but my 2nd one a TSP Balsaplus 8.5 felt so much better that any time I use another blade, I cant wait to get back to the Balsaplus...

So I know the experience you are having Tat...and you will be looking to use that blade a lot...

My blade marries very well with a softer not blindingly fast rubber in LKT Pro XT, and that combination gives me a bat that has what I like to call all the gears from light touch where its the rubber generating the speed and spin, to topspin shots and heavy chops that use the structure and timbers of the blade...

My practice mates say the sound my blade makes when I do a smash is like what they imagine it would sond if they flat out hit a box of matches...or the say at other times"nice drive", with the sound at that time being similar to the sound of a Titanium 1 wood golf club smashing a drive...lol

Well, thats enough B**^^%%*&^% for now...lol

Oh!!!...My blade weighed 72 grms...

Have fun with your blade Tat...

fosss

tatlwai wrote:
Well, this is not a full review, but I can't wait to tell you guys that MAY BE, I have found my blade, I think, until the next temptation lures me away.

The blade finally came and I had Paddle Palace glued Hammond X 2.0 on FH and Pimplemini 1.6 on BH. Apparently, they didn't do a good job gluing the rubbers, the perimeter of the Pimplemini around the blade was not attached, I had to redo the gluing myself. After 15 minutes of hit, I can't control the Pimplemini 1.6 (way too bouncy, wish I had 1.0 or 1.3 instead). So, I replace the Pimplemini with my beloved Long A 1.1.

The blade is light, said it weights 85 gram, but feels lighter than that. It is a very fast blade with OFF++ class, speed is rated 98 and Control is rated 73. Extremely thick core of Balsa with one pile of thin wood (don't know what it is called and was not shown in the description) covering a thick balsa, total thickness is 13.3 mm.

Paddle Palace has this detailed description:

"The Joola R*1has an extremely thick Balsa core and a semi-large handle. Despite of the extremely high speed, it provides a totally new, controlled playing feeling. The duration of the ball contact is considerably longer than with conventional blades--the ball, so to speak, buries itself into the blade. This provides excellent ball feeling. Attacking players, especially who play with safe topspins, particularly appreciate this blade. Moreover, despite the speed, it is also well-suited for long pip players.-the dreaded ball disturbancy of the "flap" effect can be played with great control."

I had a hit this morning, and wow, I instantly fall in love with this blade. Every word that Paddle Palace wrote about this blade is true plus more.

Someone informed me that Balsa blade is good only in blocking. Since I am anot a blocker, I was worry that I will waste another $73. But no, this blade can do it all. Because of the light weight, it is more easy to maneuver, that split second make a lot of difference for blade readiness and preparation.

My FH chop went lower, faster with very good control. I especially like my "pop" shot with this blade( a fast wrist only flat hit on incoming top spin ball, barely clear the net with speed and without too much top spin, totally screw up the timing), the speed of the ball is faster than the ones I played with KVT. Top spins and loops are good too, but I really really like the flat hit.

On the BH side, whatever KVT can do, R*1 did it better with more power and speed. Chopping is relatively easy with good control. As some of you already know, I attack with long pips on my back hand. This R*1 provides me with more power and control. Now, if I only know how to block better, then it will be perfect.

Overall, I LOVE this blade and I might not have to switch blade for a while.
At least, my quest for the perfect blade, the perfect back hand long pip and the perfect forehand invert rubbers are all in place and I can concentrate more to play than keep searching.

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 23:34 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

[quote="fosssil"]
Well, thats enough B**^^%%*&^% for now...lol
Oh!!!...My blade weighed 72 grms...
fosss
[quote]

Thanks, Fosss.
A thick core with only 72 grams? That must be feel like hitting someone with a bunch of feathers. Any time you are tire of this blade, just send it this way and let me feel the joy of hitting.

Well, I did the impossible (well, exaggerated) yesterday afternoon, I removed all rubbers out from the R*1, lightly sand the edges and on both sides, seal the edges with super glue and spray 2 layers of Polyurethane, just like you guys had preached in this forum.

I have never done anything to protect my blades except to smooth out the sharp edges around the neck of the handles. Usually, when the blade arrived, glue immediately on both sides and play. The fortunate part is that the blades are still in good shape with minor rough edges here and there.

Now I do hope that all these work will at least improve my game a tiny little bit. I am playing again this morning, 6 days in a row now, great for my spirit. bad for my knees. However, I have never refused a TT hitting session and I do have three different hitting partners and they do come separately. One on one is a lot more fun.

Tat

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 00:04 
Super User

Congratulations Tat, I told you had made a great choice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 02:47 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Thanks for the tips, that is a very good blade. Power, speed and control on invert and long pips, what else can I ask for?

Now, if my feet can move a little faster, are there any magic pills that can do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 07:51 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Hi Tat,

Glad you are happy with your blade. I too made the switch to Balsa about 4 months ago and I have not touched any other blade since. I do use inverted on both sides, but the TSP Versal just gives me all the gears (like Fosss said with his TSP Balsa). You hit hard, it shoots off. You hit soft you get a well placed dropped shot. My blade weighed 69 gm :)

I agree with you, once you find the right combination it is time to settle down and work on all the finer aspects of techniques. Happy hitting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 08:14 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

speedplay wrote:

I get the feeling that you do like the blade as much as iÍ love my Wavestone. Once you find the right blade, you will... Probably still be tempted to try others but always return to the ONE true love :wink:

Before I joined this forum and started reading these posts, I don't know anything about blades. To me, it is just a piece of wood crafted together and looked nice.

I have gone through the Donic Appelgren three ply long time ago because I thought he played cool; next up was Koman R-9 because they say it had carbon in between, then I had an Butterfly Power 3-3T off+ blade. Nextup was a Butterfly Gergely carbon, I played this for quite a while, really like it. Then Nittaku came up and I had Nittaku Narcus.

When I bought Nittaku KVT and paired it with Long A and Hammond X, I thought I have found the blade until you people steered me away to try this Balsa blade.

Now, please, no more temptation, my wife can't take it anymore of this buying and switching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 08:52 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Wait about 10+ days and I'll tell you guys how good this thing is.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 13:49 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Bogeyhunter wrote:

Or maybe Tat will SHOW you how good it is :lol:

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 15:01 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Bogeyhunter wrote:

It is exactly 12 days from now when you arrive here at San Diego but may be 14 days from now when we can play. I strongly recommend you take the first two days to visit our world famous San Diego Zoo and Seaworld before playing the various members of our Table Tennis Academy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 15:03 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Joo Se Kev wrote:
Bogeyhunter wrote:

Or maybe Tat will SHOW you how good it is :lol:

Joo, you are a good man, we will definitely try our best not to disappoint BH too much with his West Coast trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 21:26 
Super User

I like Balsa blades, so I have R1, TSP Balsa 8.5, Cayman, DrN Hightechnology and lots more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 21:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
All this wrapping up of Balsa blades is making my EJ fingers twitchy. You guys have no idea how painful it is to have no prospect of buying any new equipment for months :( . Oh well I will just have to learn to love my Hurricane King some more!

Arlene I didn't realise you has a Balsa blade. I would have had a good look at it if I had. I don't recall any great noise coming from it. Does it make much noise, or do your rubbers muffle it? Or was it just too noisy in the area we had a hit?

Oops almost forgot...Tat congratulations on finding your dream setup now. It sounds to me like a match made in heaven. I bet your wife is jealous of it sleeping on her pillow while she now has to sleep on the TT table LOL! :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.