OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 03:39 
Super User

Hi guys,

I've been looking into the arylate Carbon blades e.g Viscaria and the aramid carbon blades e.g xiom stradivarius.
I'm not sure which to go for. My forehand game is mostly as follows, spinny serves followed by 3rd ball attack. If I get into a rally, my forehand game is mostly looping and touch play. Looping when the ball is in a position to loop, e.g mid table or long. And in the short game I'm very much touch play orientated.

Which of the two carbon blades would suit such a style the best?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 09:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I bet you would not be able to tell the difference between the two technologies (all else being equal)...I know I wouldn't. :oops:

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 13:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Didn't I see you post saying you were happy with your JSH and therefore selling other blades? Don't get sucked in by EJ-ism LOL :lol:

Edit: my bad...I see you also said you're trying offensive blades too :headbang: :lol:

Offensive blade and LP = Crazy btw :devil: :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 13:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Oh and my two cents, Viscaria is a nice blade!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 16:24 
Super User

Thanks guys!

I'm edging more towards the Arylate blades. Can anyone tell me which would suit the playing style I mentioned above the best?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 17:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Anyone know of any Arylate blades in the 80 gram range? Viscaria et al. are usually more (often a great deal more).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 17:55 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11043

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 13:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, had a look at that. The list hasn't been updated for a couple years, but it's quite clear that:

1) Didn't see any of these blades around the 80 gram mark.

2) If there were any, I didn't see them because Aramid-Carbon or Arylate-Carbon blades from companies other than, say, Donic and Butterfly aren't marked as such.

3) The variation in weight for any given blade model - even for - actually, ESPECIALLY for - "high end" brands like Butterfly are HUGE.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 13:43 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I was looking at suppliers for Aramid/Arylate Carbon Fibre and all the responses I got from manufacturers were that they are the same product. I was told that its an Aramid Carbon weave and that in his opinion other companies are probably requesting a certain colour and weave pattern and rebranding it as Arylate. Such as getting a plain weave instead of a twill weave. I looked into the possibility of building a blade myself just for the sake of hobby and wanted to see what was available.

This is a link to one of the suppliers I spoke with

http://www.acpsales.com/Aramid-Woven-Fabrics.html

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 13:44 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
So to answer the question in the OP. I think that there is little between the fibre if anything at all. It would come down to the whole construction of the blade and its weight.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016, 20:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For the longest time I thought arylate was Vectran. But there's nothing in any material I've found about Vectran that mentions the word "arylate". Try a search in Wikipedia or any web search - the only links you'll find to "arylate" are table tennis related. So I think you're right - "arylate" is Butterfly's word for "aramid".

Compare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramid

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016, 22:49 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

If your focus is on looping and touch-play why do you want a carbon blade?

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 01:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Who DOES want a carbon blade? :lol: (Well, there must be a market for the things, considering how many get sold and the prices they get.. and there are a number of proponents of blades such as the Viscaria here who, from reading what they write, do loop.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 05:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

carbonman wrote:
If your focus is on looping and touch-play why do you want a carbon blade?

The point of the arylate/aramid that is cross-woven with the carbon is that it restores the ability to loop while still expanding the sweet spot of the blade. That is why at the moment the vast majority of the world's professional players (a) loop constantly and (b) use a blade that has a mixture of some carbon and a fiber like arylate or zylon.

As to the OP's first question, the difference between a Stradivarius and a Viscaria lies more in the weight balance and handle shape than anything else. I have tried both, and preferred for the Viscaria (very slightly) but it is not hard to switch from one to another. The composite layers seem to behave pretty much the same way. Importantly, they are both intended for exactly the same kind of player. Actually, the Stradivarius was introduced to compete directly with various Butterfly ALC blades, and if they were going to steal some of those customers, Xiom needed to make a blade that worked pretty much the same way. That's another way of saying it is not worth worrying too much about that particular choice. If you like one you will like the other.

I want to suggest another more recent option that I like better than the Stradivarius and as much as a Viscaria: the Donic True Carbon. It seems to be pretty much identical to a Viscaria in terms of its ply construction, but it has a different shape in its handle -- and you can buy it with a ST handle if that is important to you (it was to me). Also, cheaper than either one.

After playing with a Viscaria since 2007, I am now using the True Carbon with a ST handle. I would not do that if the blade performance was not very very close. I have discovered that I really like round ST handles.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 06:14 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
^ good to know, i'll be on the lookout for the donic true carbon then when the moment arise to see how well it fair.